Author Topic: Significant ice accumulation from the mid-Mississippi Valley to Ohio and Tennessee valleys, U.S.  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Watchers by Teo Blašković on February 9, 2021

A winter storm gripping much of the United States with frigid temperatures this week is likely to bring significant ice accumulation from portions of the mid-Mississippi Valley to the Ohio and Tennessee valleys from late Tuesday night (LT), February 9 into Thursday, February 11, 2021.

The areas with the best chance to receive 6 mm (0.25 inches) or more of ice extend from the Ozarks to the I-64 corridor in eastern Kentucky.

Ice accumulations extending 13 mm (0.50 inches) are possible in some locations.

This amount of ice will likely lead to hazardous travel conditions, power outages, and scattered tree damage, NWS Weather Prediction Center warned.

Gusty winds both Thursday and Friday may cause additional strain to heavily iced trees and power lines, potentially leading to more power outages and downed trees.

As Arctic air rushes in behind the winter storm late week and into the weekend, residents in these areas will contend with bitterly cold temperatures and wind chills.

A cold and active weather pattern is expected to persist throughout the next several days across the country, with only a few lucky locations across the Southeast and Southwest remaining warm and dry, NWS forecaster Snell noted.

More: https://watchers.news/2021/02/09/significant-ice-accumulation-from-the-mid-mississippi-valley-to-ohio-and-tennessee-valleys-us/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The ice on my trees is getting thicker as I sit here working at my desk.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Polly Ticks

Same here, and the bird feeder has a beautiful curtain of icicles all the way around it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Same here, and the bird feeder has a beautiful curtain of icicles all the way around it.

I grabbed one of the last jugs if ice melt this morning at Walmart.  OUr back deck is composite and was frozen and the dogs were sliding all over it trying to get down to the yard.

Hopefully this own't be as bad as 2018.  I lost the tops out of two of my big trees in that one.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Polly Ticks

Aw, poor puppies!

Yeah, we didn't lose any trees last time, but we did lose a few branches. Here's hoping it doesn't get that bad and we don't end up with tons of people without power.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Aw, poor puppies!

Yeah, we didn't lose any trees last time, but we did lose a few branches. Here's hoping it doesn't get that bad and we don't end up with tons of people without power.

Have they shut down anymore highways in Louisville?  Last I saw 264 Sb and all of 71 were closed.

Offline Polly Ticks

Have they shut down anymore highways in Louisville?  Last I saw 264 Sb and all of 71 were closed.

I haven't heard anything beyond that, but I've been fixing dinner for the fam and not paying much attention.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I haven't heard anything beyond that, but I've been fixing dinner for the fam and not paying much attention.

Well be safe if you have to get out.

Offline Polly Ticks

Offline mountaineer

Sunday morning. It appears there's a thin layer of ice over everything. I'm supposed to play piano for church this morning. Today's burning question: will I make it?  :2popcorn:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

Sunday morning. It appears there's a thin layer of ice over everything. I'm supposed to play piano for church this morning. Today's burning question: will I make it?  :2popcorn:

Keep us posted, and stay safe!

Offline mountaineer

Keep us posted, and stay safe!
By the time we left home, the roads were all good. People out earlier this morning were a-sliding, though. Gearing up now for the 8" or so of snow  predicted for Monday through Tuesday.  :crying:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Just got a Winter Storm Warning for Central Il....6-10 in of snow and wind chills to -20
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

We're ready for the snow. Plenty of food and firewood.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
We're gonna have one day...today...with no snow...then it's all supposed to move back in again starting Wed night into Thursday

Offline Polly Ticks

We're gonna have one day...today...with no snow...then it's all supposed to move back in again starting Wed night into Thursday

My driveway is still a skating rink from last week, too.  Ugh.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jason Chaffetz
is in Utah, USA
30m  ·
Snow was sticking to Betsy Ross 🇺🇸

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Victoria33

Just got a Winter Storm Warning for Central Il....6-10 in of snow and wind chills to -20
@mystery-ak

In more northern Texas, north of Dallas, we get this new storm tonight on top of what we already have with the power outages, water disruption or having to boil water.  Weather says it is 7 degrees here now.  Last night it was 0.  By tonight. expect it will be below 0.  More will be without power and water tomorrow and Wednesday.  We don't get to above freezing until maybe Friday.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
My driveway is still a skating rink from last week, too.  Ugh.

So is mine.  And they closed Ft. Knox today so I didn't get sworn into my new job like I was supposed to.  Not sure when it's gonna happen now.  9999hair out0000

My son drove home from his job in Shepardsville last night and said that I-65 was iced over.  Couldn't get over 40mph safely.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@mystery-ak

In more northern Texas, north of Dallas, we get this new storm tonight on top of what we already have with the power outages, water disruption or having to boil water.  Weather says it is 7 degrees here now.  Last night it was 0.  By tonight. expect it will be below 0.  More will be without power and water tomorrow and Wednesday.  We don't get to above freezing until maybe Friday.

We ended up with 8in last night....wind chills -20

More snow Wed...they aren't even mentioning totals yet... 888mouth
Support the USO

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

We adults may hate the snow...but my oldest grandson in O'Fallon is loving it!

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak

Wind chill here last night was -30.

Offline Polly Ticks

So is mine.  And they closed Ft. Knox today so I didn't get sworn into my new job like I was supposed to.  Not sure when it's gonna happen now.  9999hair out0000

My son drove home from his job in Shepardsville last night and said that I-65 was iced over.  Couldn't get over 40mph safely.

Oh, wow, even Ft. Knox was closed.  That's pretty wild.  I guess that means you're out of luck for borrowing a tank to get around in!  In any case, I hope they get your swearing in resolved sooner rather than later.

My son works at UPS at the airport, and they were closed last night, too - first time since 9/11.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Oh, wow, even Ft. Knox was closed.  That's pretty wild.  I guess that means you're out of luck for borrowing a tank to get around in!  In any case, I hope they get your swearing in resolved sooner rather than later.

My son works at UPS at the airport, and they were closed last night, too - first time since 9/11.

Yeah if I had a tracked vehicle from the motor pool I’d be good to go. 

E Town PD just posted on FB that the city is experiencing a natural gas shortage and they are asking everyone to turn their thermostat down by 5 degrees.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@mystery-ak

Wind chill here last night was -30.

Yeah we had wind chills -30 Fri and Sat night...
Support the USO