Author Topic: Background Noise in the Brain May Be the Key to Age-Old Mysteries  (Read 265 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Science Times by Isabella Beltran Feb 08, 2021

Scientists are investigating the hidden signals in the brain's electrical chatter to gain new insight on aging, sleep, and more age-old mysteries that have baffled researchers for generations.

In January 2020, Janna Lender, a member of the Society for Neuroscience and a physician at the University Clinic for Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine presented findings that hint at a way to define the boundaries of wakefulness and unconsciousness.

Lender argues that the answer does not lie in regular brain waves but rather in the neutral activity that is often ignored: the erratic background noises.

Brain's Background Noises

Lender is only one of the growing number of neuroscientists that are looking into the idea that the brain's background noises and electrical activity could hold new clues to the inner workings of man's mind.

Bradley Voytek, a neuroscientist was discouraged by the scientific community on his study on how noisy features of the brain's activity change with age.

Collaborating with various neuroscientists at Berkeley and UC San Diego, Voytek developed novel software that isolates regular oscillations hidden in the aperiodic segments of brain activity. This allows neuroscientists to dissect both regular and aperiodic activity in an effort to disentangle their roles in cognition, disease, and behavior.

More: https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/29560/20210208/background-noise-brain-key-age-old-mysteries.htm

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Background Noise in the Brain May Be the Key to Age-Old Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 04:58:57 am »
Gee whiz, Wally. Is nothing private? Now they want to listen in on the voices in your head... :silly: **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 06:43:25 am »
Gee whiz, Wally. Is nothing private? Now they want to listen in on the voices in your head... :silly: **nononono*
Won't help them with me, all the voices argue so much that you can't understand a thing they say, well except for the constant drum beat of killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 07:04:57 am »
Won't help them with me, all the voices argue so much that you can't understand a thing they say, well except for the constant drum beat of killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill
:silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 07:34:44 am »
Eureka! This explains why I sleep with my head to the east... All I can hear in my head is HANK FM.
And all this time I thought it was coming from the radio on the headboard.

But now another mystery... What is that blue dot light on the radio for?  :pondering: