Author Topic: Car Makers Slammed By Semiconductor Shortage  (Read 233 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Car Makers Slammed By Semiconductor Shortage
« on: February 08, 2021, 11:54:16 pm »
Oil Price by Tsvetana Paraskova - Feb 08, 2021

Amid a global shortage of semiconductors, the U.S. auto manufacturing industry is scaling back production this month, including that of the top-selling U.S. vehicle.

China’s soaring imports of semiconductors, the rise in the electronics industries, and the jump in technology use during the pandemic, combined to create a perfect storm on the global semiconductor market, whose supply chain is strongly interconnected.

Detroit’s Big Three announced this month that they would be reducing production at some factories in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, as the severe shortage of supply of semiconductors and microchips is affecting the global automotive supply chain.

The growing importance of technology in new vehicles—with more computer technology and infotainment—has started to feel in recent months the increased significance of semiconductors.

“Semiconductors are the new oil,” Rory Green, Economist - China, the Koreas, and Taiwan at investment research firm TSLombard, said in a note last week.

According to estimates from TS Lombard and CEIC, the value of China’s imports of semiconductors exceeded the value of its oil imports five years ago and has been rising since.

More: https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Car-Makers-Slammed-By-Semiconductor-Shortage.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Car Makers Slammed By Semiconductor Shortage
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:33:04 am »
LMAO.  The great big giant brains at the Semiconductor Company I used to work for laid me off after shipping our R&D labs to China.  It was the world's largest manufacturer of Automotive Semiconductors. 

:mauslaff:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 04:01:41 am »
LMAO.  The great big giant brains at the Semiconductor Company I used to work for laid me off after shipping our R&D labs to China.  It was the world's largest manufacturer of Automotive Semiconductors. 

:mauslaff:

I use to think "we never learn" about these outsourcings. Now I think maybe it is all part of the plan.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 04:09:29 am »
I use to think "we never learn" about these outsourcings. Now I think maybe it is all part of the plan.

What's funny is they were heavily dependent on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, which makes more chips in the USA than my old company made in their own Fabs.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: