Author Topic: Ammo shortage not expected to end any time soon  (Read 771 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ammo shortage not expected to end any time soon
« on: February 08, 2021, 01:15:00 pm »
First Coast News by Heather Crawford 2/6/2021

2020 proved to be a record year for firearm purchases, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation with millions of people buying guns for the first time. Now many of those gun owners are running into an ammunition shortage.

“It was scarce in the summer, and it's more scarce now,” Z. Farhat, Sales Manager at Green Acres Sporting Goods in Jacksonville said.

Farhat has watched the price of ammo go up and up since last March. Some of it he said is now four to five times what it cost his store to buy pre-pandemic.

“It’s affected all calibers, handgun calibers, rifle calibers, shotgun shells. I mean everything across the board is dried up,” Farhat said.

Sales at his store he said are strong, and while he has guns and ammunition to sell right now, stock of some popular ammo a lot of hunters use is getting low.

“We've been in business 50 years. I never thought we'd ever run out of 270, but I think we're getting down to only a few boxes left at this moment.”

More: https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/ammo-shortage-not-expected-to-end-any-time-soon/77-31c41a94-d48d-4c8e-9523-ff3646919a48

I placed an order on 12/1 for 2 boxes of .380 and the last update I got showed an estimated delivery of 5/1.

I placed an order for some reloading powder on 11/6. The last shipping update showed 8 to 10 weeks. Now at 13 weeks I'm still waiting.

I have received other ammo and reloading orders. Some quickly and some that took 5 or 6 months or so.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Ammo shortage not expected to end any time soon
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 03:02:52 pm »
Gun shops do receive shipments, I understand, but you have to be an insider to have any idea when the ammo might be arriving. Show up the next day, and you're out of luck. Untill I can get a few hundred more rounds in reserve, I'm not going to the range for practice - and that is not a good thing!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Ammo shortage not expected to end any time soon
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 06:25:45 pm »
Gun shops do receive shipments, I understand, but you have to be an insider to have any idea when the ammo might be arriving. Show up the next day, and you're out of luck. Untill I can get a few hundred more rounds in reserve, I'm not going to the range for practice - and that is not a good thing!

I have been able to order some ammo and reloading supplies by using : https://ammoseek.com/

I've only gone to the range once in the last couple of months. I have done a lot of dry fire practice. I may have to switch to .22s as that's what I have the most of. But I know, if I do, it's probably going to be a long long time before case prices are reasonable again. I'm thinking I need to switch over to shooting lead bullets that I cast myself.