Author Topic: The income eligibility debate for stimulus checks may be unresolvable..Jazz Shaw  (Read 140 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The income eligibility debate for stimulus checks may be unresolvable

Jazz Shaw Posted at 10:01 am on February 1, 2021

Now that Susan Collins and her “Gang of Ten” have put forward a counteroffer to the Democrats’ bloated $1.9 trillion pandemic relief package, one of the main sticking points between the parties is coming back into focus. What will Congress do about a second round of direct payments to citizens? Some of the more liberal members, such as Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, have demanded $2,000 checks on a monthly basis until the pandemic is “over.” But other members, including some Democrats like Joe Manchin, are balking at the total cost and saying that the direct relief checks should be targeted toward only those who are truly in need, having been hit by the pandemic and the shutdowns. This has put Joe Biden in the middle of what’s being described as an eligibility debate. (The Hill)

President Biden’s push for more direct payments is sparking a debate over what the income thresholds should be for the stimulus checks.

Many Republicans and some centrist Democrats say any additional payments need to be more targeted toward lower-income households, arguing they are most in need of relief and are more likely to spend the money quickly, providing a boost to the economy.

On Sunday, a group of 10 GOP senators made that argument in a letter to Biden announcing their own coronavirus relief proposal, one that includes payments “for those families who need assistance the most, including their dependent children and adults.”

For his part, President Biden has indicated that he’s open to negotiations on the amount of money that should be sent and the guidelines for who is eligible. But if we’re going to change the formula that was used last year (twice), how would that work? The original checks were sent to individuals earning up to $75K, or households making $150K. That was already problematic in a couple of ways. First of all, the checks were based on how much people had earned in the year prior to the arrival of the plague, but there was no mention of how well they were faring after the government-mandated shutdowns began.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2021/02/01/income-eligibility-debate-stimulus-checks-may-unresolvable/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Yeah, I was surprised that I actually got a check last year.

I guess, yet once again, the House and Senate and Usurper are going to completely bypass the fact that the Constitution forbids federal welfare payments.

I can see them compromising on the amount, too.

The Rodents want 1.9 gazillion bucks, the RINOs want something like 0.6 gazillions...

...so they'll eventually agree on wasting 2.5 gazillion, so each party gets their wish...
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The insanely escalating national debt being promoted here will result in Congress saying

"It has no choice but to tap the money within IRAs and 401ks to avoid default of the United States Government".

Anyone not drawing out of those instruments now will feel like lambs being led to the slaughterhouse.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington