Author Topic: Complex, long-duration winter storm for the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, U.S.  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Watchers by Teo Blašković on January 30, 2021

A complex winter storm will start today, January 30, 2021, in the Midwest with heavy snow from the Upper Mississippi Valley to the Ohio Valley, including the Chicago metro area. On Sunday, January 31, the snow and wintry mix will spread into the Mid-Atlantic region before a potential Nor'easter intensifies and significantly impacts portions of the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, and New England on Monday and Tuesday, February 1 and 2.

•   A prolonged winter storm is expected to begin this evening in the Midwest and persist into early next week for the Northeast, NWS WPC warns.

•   Heavy snowfall is expected across the Midwest tonight into Sunday, with snowfall also spreading across the Central Appalachians and into the Mid-Atlantic. Additional heavy snow is likely for the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast Monday into Tuesday.

•   Uncertainty remains, especially across the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, so the locations and amounts of heaviest snowfall may change in the coming days.

•   Heavy snow accumulating to 150 mm (6 inches) is expected in the Midwest through Sunday.

•   Freezing rain is likely in North Carolina, West Virginia, and Virginia with heavy snow forecast from Virginia to Maine into early next week.

A storm exiting the Rockies will emerge across the Central High Plains eventually moving eastward to the Mid-Atlantic Coast by Monday morning, NWS forecaster Ziegenfelder said.

Moisture from the Western Gulf of Mexico will move northward over the Southern Plains into the Mississippi Valley with rain expanding into the Middle/Lower Mississippi Valley by this afternoon as the system moves out of the Rockies and into the Plains.

The rain will move eastward into parts of the Ohio/Tennessee Valley overnight and into the Southeast/Mid-Atlantic by Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, snow will develop over parts of the Northern Plains/Upper Mississippi Valley through today. By this evening, the snow will expand into parts of the Upper Great Lakes and the Ohio Valley.

Along the rain/snow line, rain/freezing rain areas will also develop from the Middle Mississippi Valley into the Ohio Valley and into the Central Appalachians and adjacent foothills.

Overnight, snow will move into southern portions of the Mid-Atlantic.

There will be areas of rain/freezing rain over parts of western Virginia and North Carolina on Sunday.

More: https://watchers.news/2021/01/30/complex-long-duration-winter-storm-for-the-midwest-and-mid-atlantic-northeast-us/

Offline libertybele

Well, Groundhog Day is in a couple of days. :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I keep hearing how bad it’s going to be. I don’t know. I do have aches and pains in my bones which I always get before major snow or rain so we’ll see.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

I keep hearing how bad it’s going to be. I don’t know. I do have aches and pains in my bones which I always get before major snow or rain so we’ll see.

I feel for you.  It's been unusually cold here this entire month; and I ache more than usual. 

A major snowstorm doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

Stay safe and warm!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This is the first real noticeable cold we've had all season where I've been. Temperatures here haven't even approached zero, which is unusual for this time of year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

This is the first real noticeable cold we've had all season where I've been. Temperatures here haven't even approached zero, which is unusual for this time of year.

This entire month has been very cold for this area. Normally we see a few cold days here and there, but  for the most part our temps have been below normal.  Not supposed to get up into the low 80's for another week or so.  We've dipped down into the low 40's several nights.  So far my baby palm trees are withstanding the cold nights and cooler days.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

We're predicted to get 4-8 inches of snow with intermittent ice showers starting tomorrow through Monday. (Steve's at Safeway now for supplies   happy77 )

If this happens, look for DC and our esteemed federal government to be closed until Thursday.    wink777

Offline libertybele

We're predicted to get 4-8 inches of snow with intermittent ice showers starting tomorrow through Monday. (Steve's at Safeway now for supplies   happy77 )

If this happens, look for DC and our esteemed federal government to be closed until Thursday.    wink777

They could stay closed for the next 4 years or so and I think we'd all be just fine.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

My son's living just outside of Dulles now and he always looks forward to get some snow as he's lived just until a few years ago down in SE Houston.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

I’m hearing anywhere from 5-13 inches. I have a snow alert, a freeze alert and a flooding alert on my weather app.

I don’t know. I have to run to the grocery store this morning because the whole world and it’s wife will be out shopping. I need coffee!  :coffee!:

And eggs, milk, fresh veggies and fruit, and some other things.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Yeah except for our poor National Guard members, they will be out there freezing their butts off as living props for democrats imposing their fascist edicts.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
It’s snowing here!

State of emergency for both NJ and NY starting at 7 pm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:20:39 pm by Gefn »