Author Topic: Six Houston police officers indicted in Harding Street investigation  (Read 601 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  St. John Barned-Smith Jan. 25, 2021

A Harris County grand jury has indicted a Houston narcotics officer on a homicide charge and five other current and former Houston police officers with crimes stemming from a yearslong probe into the 2019 Harding Street raid, District Attorney Kim Ogg announced Monday.

The indictments — which include eight allegations of engaging in organized crime to commit overtime theft and records tampering — are the latest development following the January 2019 raid of 7815 Harding St., which ended in the deaths of homeowners Dennis Tuttle, 59, and Rhogena Nicholas, 58.

“The consequences of corruption are that two innocent ordinary people were killed in their homes, four police officers were shot, one of them paralyzed,” Ogg said.

With Monday’s indictments, 12 current and former officers have now been charged for their role in the raid or other misconduct discovered in a subsequent investigation into the affair.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Harris-County-DA-Ogg-announces-more-charges-in-15897074.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Six Houston police officers indicted in Harding Street investigation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 03:46:14 pm »
So let's see....
Timeline.
Door breached.
Dog attacks first one in.
Dog shot.
Dog owner shoots who shot the dog. (Dog is first line of home defense).
Police shoot people in house, who shoot back.
Hmmmm.

Congratulations, @Smokin Joe

You were the first one on this thread almost two years ago to the day that whiffed something was amiss on this raid.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,349531.msg1904192.html#msg1904192
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:11:49 pm »
Congratulations, @Smokin Joe

You were the first one on this thread almost two years ago to the day that whiffed something was amiss on this raid.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,349531.msg1904192.html#msg1904192
Some times it sucks to be right, but best the bad elements are cleaned from those who are supposed to uphold the law.
At the time there was speculation that the correct address was on Hardy St., not Harding St., which may have been the case.

It is a pity that those on scene didn't do a little looking around for the common signs of a major drug operation (cameras, increased security, fences, limited access and view rather than an open yard), as opposed to the lack of some or all of that for small time dealers or end users. Someone on the raid team should have wondered about that, but such is difficult to come by in an adrenaline charged moment. Then there is the 'just following orders' aspect as well.

To be candid, I am all for getting the hard drugs off the street (lost one grandson to them, and nearly another), but like any other situation that involves lethal force and possibly lethal results, the details must be right, checked and rechecked to make damned sure that isn't aimed at the wrong people.

Just from making food deliveries in this past year, it takes little in the way of an error to place the people on the ground across town from where they were supposed to be. Someone types Ave. instead of St., a transposed digit, an extra one added to or one dropped from an address, and you are in the wrong place.
For that type of operation, though, it's more than inconvenience or embarrassment or delay, their mistakes are often written in blood, both their own and in that of innocents.

The scary part of all that is that we are entering an era where those who might have a grudge, a profit motive ($ for tips will happen, in some ways, it's already here), or any number of petty personal offenses could well be the justification for Federal raids and possibly bloodshed. ANTIFA black bloc looks a lot like raid team garb, and you would be foolish not to defend against someone breaking into your home. Considering those of totalitarian ilk often get their facts wrong, there could be even more grim days ahead.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 04:16:25 pm »
Some times it sucks to be right, but best the bad elements are cleaned from those who are supposed to uphold the law.
At the time there was speculation that the correct address was on Hardy St., not Harding St., which may have been the case.

In any organization, as it follows a bell shaped curve, contains 5% who who have a potential to succumb to wrongdoing, with 1% who thrive in that mindset. 

Sadly it is the remaining 95-99% who have to suffer the consequences at hits on reputation.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 04:33:50 pm »
In any organization, as it follows a bell shaped curve, contains 5% who who have a potential to succumb to wrongdoing, with 1% who thrive in that mindset. 

Sadly it is the remaining 95-99% who have to suffer the consequences at hits on reputation.
In this case,not just them but the people they serve who suffer the (sometimes fatal, often devastating) results.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 04:38:39 pm »
In this case,not just them but the people they serve who suffer the (sometimes fatal, often devastating) results.

So true.  The sad but true fact is that 1 misdeed is remembered more than a 100 heroic ones cumulatively.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 06:27:40 pm »
So true.  The sad but true fact is that 1 misdeed is remembered more than a 100 heroic ones cumulatively.
The other fact is that these officers did not commit mideeds in isolation.

Acevedo or his lieutenants are complicit in this crime as well as they are ultimately responsible.

At a minimum, transparency needs to come out ensuring these officers are not simply the scapegoats thrown under the bus by superiors.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 02:15:59 am »
True enough, but this is worse than a bogus ticket. The (civilian) victims of this one aren't remembering much of anything.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 02:41:56 am »

Acevedo or his lieutenants are complicit in this crime as well as they are ultimately responsible.

At a minimum, transparency needs to come out ensuring these officers are not simply the scapegoats thrown under the bus by superiors.

:yowsa: That is absolutely right! Every last word.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 05:30:00 am »

Yep. This is a (sub)culture within the force that needs to be cleaned up.

C S Lewis