Author Topic: The mystery of conservatives hating Trump  (Read 268 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The mystery of conservatives hating Trump
« on: January 28, 2021, 02:48:14 pm »
January 28, 2021
The mystery of conservatives hating Trump
By Robert Arvay

Five to six years ago, I was corresponding online, on a regular, frequent basis, with several strong conservatives.  We all advocated for policies like smaller central government; lower taxes; First, Second and Tenth Amendment freedoms; restrictions on abortion; strict control of our borders, including merit-based immigration; and many other standard conservative positions.

That was then.

Along came the 2016 presidential campaign, and the finalists were Hillary Clinton and Donald J. Trump.  As expected, most conservatives, as described above, were enthusiastically supportive of Trump.  Unexpectedly, however, there was a significant proportion of conservatives, or those who claimed to be, who were not only opposed to Trump, but vehement "NeverTrumps."  "Anybody but Trump" was their mantra.  And they meant it.  Anybody.

Why this is so is a mystery not yet fully explained.

In recent encounters (online) with some of them, I was amazed at their glee, caustically expressed, that Donald Trump had left the White House.  According to them, Trump was the devil.  He did nothing right.  He made everything worse.  He locked children in cages, then went golfing.  He was Islamophobic and xenophobic.  He was destroying the environment.  He was recklessly risking nuclear war with North Korea and Iran.  He was colluding with the Russians.  He sold much of our scarce uranium to the Russians (oh, wait — that was Hillary, but even so, Trump was bad).

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/01/the_mystery_of_conservatives_hating_trump.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The mystery of conservatives hating Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:22:10 am »
There's no "mystery" here.

Doctrinaire "conservatives" hate anyone of the right who is actually effective and consequential.

We wouldn't want to actually upset the apple cart, now, would we...?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 03:16:42 am »
I do not know a single person on the far right that thinks in the ways this article portrays.

'Anybody but Tump' ain't even in the lexicon of the far right.

Conservatism is merit based, not comparative - Does he deserve my vote according to his own merit? No.

Anyone else I would vote for would go through the same merit based test.

So if I will not vote for Tump, does that mean I would vote for Hitlery instead? Of course not. I would not support or endorse either one.

Team play. woo.  *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:17:28 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:57:39 am »
I do not know a single person on the far right that thinks in the ways this article portrays.
'Anybody but Trump' ain't even in the lexicon of the far right.
Conservatism is merit based, not comparative - Does he deserve my vote according to his own merit? No. Anyone else I would vote for would go through the same merit based test.
So if I will not vote for Trump, does that mean I would vote for Hitlery instead? Of course not. I would not support or endorse either one. Team play. woo.  *****rollingeyes*****
---------------------------------
It's far simpler that that because of a basic reality.
Trump is not and never was a principled conservative, in
either tone or temperament, not for a day, since puberty!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 04:05:45 am »
---------------------------------
It's far simpler that that because of a basic reality.
Trump is not and never was a principled conservative, in
either tone or temperament, not for a day, since puberty!

I understand that. But the same rigor would be applied in any case. Of course I made my mind up pretty quickly with Tumpy - And I was right - But that was not determined upon a notion... All one has to do is look at the record. And one does not have to look very far. For me, his character was in question right from the start, and that is but the foremost criteria... Looking any further was not necessary.  :shrug: