Author Topic: Only fast action can curb planetary heating in time  (Read 217 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Only fast action can curb planetary heating in time
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:45:35 pm »
Only fast action can curb planetary heating in time
By V. Ram Ramanathan, Rep. Scott H. Peters (D-Calif.) and Durwood Zaelke, Opinion Contributor — 01/27/21 06:00 PM EST

Curbing CO2 emissions gets most of the attention and getting to net zero emissions by midcentury is essential in the long run to abate climate change. But that’s not enough. To bend the warming curve, we must drastically reduce the less appreciated short-lived “super-pollutants” — mostly methane, HFCs coolants, and black carbon soot. Together, these pollutants, along with the ozone in the lower atmosphere caused by them, are responsible for at least 40 percent of the warming that is happening right now. The need to get them under control is the more immediate and most urgent.

Methane, HFCs, black carbon soot and lower atmosphere ozone are called super pollutants because they are such potent trappers of the earth's heat. Per ton, methane and ozone have about 90 times the warming effect of CO2. And HFCs and black carbon soot have about 2,000 times the warming effect of CO2.

The good news is that their lifespans in the atmosphere are about 10 to 1000 times shorter than CO2. That means that the effect of reducing them is more immediate atmospheric cooling. The faster cooling of the atmosphere from reducing super pollutants is itself critical, and it has two important co-benefits.

First, immediate results will increase public confidence in the effectiveness of climate actions.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-environment/536201-only-fast-action-can-curb-planetary-heating-in-time
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: Only fast action can curb planetary heating in time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:50:26 pm »
From the article....

“First, immediate results will increase public confidence in the effectiveness of climate actions.”

That’s gone the minute Americans get their first heating bill, sticker shock at the pump, and tax bill
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:52:22 pm »
Planetary heating hasn't prevented unprecedented snowfalls all over the world this winter. Why is that?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 12:43:05 am »
Black carbon soot is particulate matter that blocks sunlight and counteracts greenhouse gas emissions. It does not "trap heat."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 12:50:21 am »
Black carbon soot is particulate matter that blocks sunlight and counteracts greenhouse gas emissions. It does not "trap heat."

... And if they were anywhere near serious about it, they would not be letting millions of acres of forest burn to cinders every year - Largely preventable.