Author Topic: The Long March to Restore the Second Amendment in New York  (Read 710 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Long March to Restore the Second Amendment in New York
« on: January 27, 2021, 12:35:26 am »
NRA Explore by Stephen P. Halbrook - January 26, 2021

Timothy “Big Tim” Daniel Sullivan (1862-1913) (right), a New York City politician, in 1911, pushed the Sullivan Act
through the City’s legislature-an unconstitutional infringement on our rights.

“I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms. I used to travel on the subway from Queens to Manhattan with a rifle. Could you imagine doing that today in New York City?” So recalled U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia about his days as a schoolboy on a rifle team.

Scalia’s experience reflected a long tradition. For example, Gen. George W. Wingate, president of the N.Y. Public Schools Athletic League, wrote an essay titled Why School Boys Should Be Taught to Shoot? (1907). President Teddy Roosevelt wrote an afterword for it congratulating the New York pupil who was the best shot of the year.

The National Rifle Association was chartered in New York in 1871 by Gen. Wingate and Col. William Church for the purpose of promoting marksmanship. The New York legislature accommodated the NRA by funding a range at Creedmoor, Long Island.

The right to bear arms was respected in those days. The 1828 N.Y. Civil Rights Law, which is still on the books, states: “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.” The state did not forbid carrying unlicensed, concealed pistols until 1881, while open carry went unregulated.

The Sullivan Law of 1911 was the first law in any state to require a license just to keep a pistol in the home. Carrying was banned without a license—and commoners need not apply. When the law could not be repealed, the NRA turned to the courts.

More: https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2021/1/26/the-long-march-to-restore-the-second-amendment-in-new-york

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Re: The Long March to Restore the Second Amendment in New York
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 12:45:02 am »
I wonder if we'll ever see states like new York...which demanded the Second Amendment be included in the Bill of Rights as a condition of ratification of the Constitution...will ever come to its senses and get back to the days described in the article above?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:53:47 am »
I wonder if we'll ever see states like new York...which demanded the Second Amendment be included in the Bill of Rights as a condition of ratification of the Constitution...will ever come to its senses and get back to the days described in the article above?
Sadly I think seeing cockroaches become the dominant life form on the planet would be more likely.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:29:02 am »

@txradioguy

No.

They are almost entirely populated by people who have never even seen a firearm that wasn't being carried by a cop or somebody in a movie or tv show,never mind shot one themselves.

Hell,a large part of the population aren't even Americans,or weren't born in America. ALL they know about life in America is what they have learned from living in NYC.

I had a distant relative from NYC come to visit "the yokels" a few years back,and while visiting me he noticed my M-1 Garand propped in a corner,and went into an absolute panic over "that machine gun being right out here in the open for anyone that comes in your house to see! What if a cop came by for some reason?"

To this day I am not sure he believed me when I told him it wasn't a machine gun,all the cops in my rural area would recognize it instantly as what it is,and that most would be more likely to ask me if they could shoot it than about where I got it from or what I was doing with it. I also told him when CC permits became legal the local sheriff called me on the phone and DEMANDED I be in his office at 9 AM the first day to register and apply for my permit,and that he would personally handle the paperwork. Not sure,but I SUSPECT he might have thought I had been carrying concealed illegally for a few minutes.

He and I had known each other for decades,including long before he became a cop,and I knew he was generally against CCW permits when it was put in the hands of the local sheriffs to vote it up or down,so I went to his office to discuss this with him. When he asked "What about all those people walking around with guns and the danger that produces?",I told him "I've carried a gun of one type or another almost daily for most of my life,and you know it. In fact,I have one on me now. Want to see it? Are you now or have you ever been afraid of me having a gun?"

That seemed to do it,because he switched his vote to Pro CC and ended up making the call.

While I was there,he told his secretary,who signed most of the paperwork for him and who later became sheriff herself after he retired,"If he comes in wanting anything else,including machine guns,just go ahead and sign off on it in  my name."

Pretty safe bet on that one because I wouldn't have a MG if you wanted to give it to me. I am into accuracy,not "spray and pray" area fire weapons.

BTW,I also had a local deputy once come to my house at 2 AM  one morning and wake me up to ask me if I would be willing to grab my 45 and ride along with him as backup. He was by himself and responding to a call of a party in a local farmer's field with a bunch of drunks running around. He told me he wanted me to stay in the car unless things got out of hand and he needed to be rescued.

In other words,the local cops were never very worried about me having guns. Neither were the state troopers,afatg. If the local cops knew about me carrying a loaded gun,the state troopers knew about it,too. Trust me on that one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:33:12 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:09:36 pm »
Title:
"The Long March to Restore the Second Amendment in New York"

Not going to happen.
At least, not without an all-out shooting war beforehand.
(nothing follows)

Offline verga

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 12:26:54 pm »
My wife was anti gun when we first met. She came around to my way o fthinking when I took her out shooting ONE time. I taught her how to make them safe and she came to understand that it is a tool.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.