Author Topic: Growing number of GOP senators oppose impeachment trial  (Read 536 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Growing number of GOP senators oppose impeachment trial
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:12:50 pm »
Houston Chronicle by MARY CLARE JALONICK and LISA MASCARO Jan. 24, 2021

A growing number of Republican senators say they oppose holding an impeachment trial, a sign of the dimming chances that former President Donald Trump will be convicted on the charge that he incited a siege of the U.S. Capitol.

House Democrats, who will walk the impeachment charge of “incitement of insurrection” to the Senate on Monday evening, are hoping that strong Republican denunciations of Trump after the Jan. 6 riot will translate into a conviction and a separate vote to bar Trump from holding office again. But GOP passions appear to have cooled since the insurrection, and now that Trump's presidency is over, Republican senators who will serve as jurors in the trial are rallying to his legal defense, as they did during his first impeachment trial last year.

“I think the trial is stupid, I think it’s counterproductive,” said Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.. He said that "the first chance I get to vote to end this trial, I’ll do it” because he believes it would be bad for the country and further inflame partisan divisions.

Arguments in the Senate trial will begin the week of Feb. 8. Leaders in both parties agreed to the short delay to give Trump's team and House prosecutors time to prepare and the Senate the chance to confirm some of President Joe Biden’s Cabinet nominees. Democrats say the extra days will allow for more evidence to come out about the rioting by Trump supporters who interrupted the congressional electoral count of Biden's election victory, while Republicans hope to craft a unified defense for Trump.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Growing-number-of-GOP-senators-oppose-impeachment-15894411.php

Offline mountaineer

Re: Growing number of GOP senators oppose impeachment trial
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:04:17 pm »
Gee, one would hope so.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:12:00 pm »
Any of them vote to impeach, and hopefully their political career is finished.

I intend to donate to whoever runs against Cheney when she runs again.  Bimbo.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:22:32 pm »
Democrats say the extra days will allow for more evidence to come out about the rioting by Trump supporters...

This strategy appears to be backfiring, as evidence is starting to suggest Trump and his supporters did not incite anything more than walking through open doors at the Capitol.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:07:21 pm »
I do believe a growing number of senators are getting an earful and more from their constituents and are finally understanding what a bad career move voting for impeachment would be.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:19:21 pm »
Chuckles and Nanzi need 17 converts to pull off their dirty deed.  Going over the GOP senate roster, I don't see more than 6 or 7 at most that would vote for conviction.

Then you have dem Manchin going on record against it ....  So they actually may need 19.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/sen-joe-manchin-denounces-impeachment-efforts-against-trump/
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 06:21:23 pm »
Democrats say the extra days will allow for more evidence to come out about the rioting by Trump supporters...

This strategy appears to be backfiring, as evidence is starting to suggest Trump and his supporters did not incite anything more than walking through open doors at the Capitol.

Then add the WaPo article that stated that there was an element among the protestors than planned the event ahead of time.

Kind of hard to be responsible for inciting  a riot that was preplanned.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:35:13 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 06:31:10 pm »
Then add the WaPo article that stated that there was an element among the protestors than planned the event ahead of time.

Kind of hard to responsible for inciting  a riot that was preplanned.

We should give the Rats as much time as they want.   :rolling:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 01:17:04 am »

Bill of Attainder

Definition: A legislative act that singles out an individual or group for punishment without a trial.

The Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, paragraph 3 provides that: "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law will be passed."

"The Bill of Attainder Clause was intended not as a narrow, technical (and therefore soon to be outmoded) prohibition, but rather as an implementation of the separation of powers, a general safeguard against legislative exercise of the judicial function or more simply - trial by legislature."  U.S. v. Brown, 381 U.S. 437, 440 (1965).

http://www.techlawjournal.com/glossary/legal/attainder.htm
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 03:03:16 pm »
That is quite amusing.  Growing number of GOP Senators oppose impeachment trial.

Imagine Senators opposing a Show Trial.  It would seem that they all should be opposing
such nonsense.  Even a Never Trumper.  Even Roberts is thinking about growing a pair.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:04:19 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote