Author Topic: John Roberts ducks the spotlight by skipping the second Trump impeachment trial  (Read 1434 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
John Roberts ducks the spotlight by skipping the second Trump impeachment trial

Chief Justice John Roberts has long been a student of history, but this is one part of history -- presiding at the second trial of Donald Trump -- he can do without.
Roberts won a reprieve from another ordeal with Trump, a man who challenged judicial integrity, declared he could get his way at the Supreme Court and then called the justices "totally incompetent and weak" when he failed to prevail.
Sen. Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat and the president pro tempore of the chamber, will preside for Trump's second impeachment trial.

The terms of the Constitution dictate that "When the President of the United States is impeached, the Chief Justice shall preside." And last year at this time, the robed Roberts sat high on the Senate dais for the trial of then-President Trump.

It was his constitutional duty, although at some turns Roberts made plain that it was not a pleasant one. This time, the jurist who oversees a court that forbids cameras, who bristles at breaches of decorum and who strives to project a neutral image, will avoid the public scrutiny and role of referee at what is an inherently political affair.
Since the US House of Representatives impeached Trump on January 13, Roberts has declined multiple requests for comment on his responsibility, if any, for a trial after Trump left office on January 20.
Leahy had earlier said that "the first choice" for presiding officer would be the chief justice, and he would not reveal on Monday when it became clear that the duty would fall to him, telling reporters only that he was "up to the responsibility."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics/john-roberts-trump-impeachment/index.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Roberts has to preside, or it isn't a true impeachment. If he uses the excuse that Mr. Trump is no longer President, then he admits it isn't a true impeachment, since an impeachment can only be used against a sitting President. In other words, this whole farce is unconstitutional.
Let it burn.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Roberts has to preside, or it isn't a true impeachment. If he uses the excuse that Mr. Trump is no longer President, then he admits it isn't a true impeachment, since an impeachment can only be used against a sitting President. In other words, this whole farce is unconstitutional.
Yep.  But Dems we all know don't follow that document anyway do they?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

Article I, Sec 3 covers this.  If Roberts is unwilling to preside, then he is tacitly admitting that the impeachment is not legit.

It goes on further to say "removal from office, and disqualification".  This means you can't have one without the other.  You can't disqualify without removing.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Federalist 39 - James Madison

"The President of the United States is impeachable at any time during his continuance in office."
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Yes and that's the reality of what is happening.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

Too many Republicans and Conservatives are accepting the Democrat's faulty premise. We need to hammer home that this is unconstitutional and therefore illegal, and stop pretending it is in any way valid.
Let it burn.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

That's right.  Roberts is signaling that this isn't a Constitutional impeachment.   What it is is a partisan show trial of a private citizen.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:39:24 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Hoodat

Article II, Section 4

The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Donald Trump is neither President, Vice President, nor a civil officer of the United States.

Online Slide Rule

Roberts could sent out a message indirectly.

If there were additional evidence of voting wrong doing
now available, that he would likely hear it seeing that there
is strong interest in strengthening voter confidence.

Of course, our Supreme Roberts lacks balls.

Slide Rule
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I have seen Monkey shit fights at the zoo more organized than this impeachment mess.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I have seen Monkey shit fights at the zoo more organized than this impeachment mess.

Oh, c'mon man.  Let those monkeys have their fun.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Not my poop.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dancer

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The Fascist Democommies just can't help themselves.  The Constitution hasn't meant anything to them for many years.

With Xiden doing what he does, and the Dem Congress doing what they do, the election to unseat all of them in 2022 will not come fast enough.

Joe, the Wrecking Ball will destroy how many millions of jobs in the next two years?  If the American people vote enough Republicans into office in 2022, maybe we will see our next impeachment.  Impeach both of them, and have Charlie McCarthy as POTUS.  LOL
 22222frying pan

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
If the dims thought this was important enough, or thought they would have had a chance, they would have pulled the "extortion card" as usual.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jafo2010

Roberts, coward POS Bush appointee, can't wait for this POS to retire from the court.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Roberts, coward POS Bush appointee, can't wait for this POS to retire from the court.

He'll be on the bench for a long time and so will the other Tweedle Dee Dums.

Offline verga

@jafo2010 Slow down tiger. Sometimes, albeit rarely, he votes with our side. If he goes in the next 4 years we are certain of a raging liberal.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Exactly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Article I, Sec 3 covers this.  If Roberts is unwilling to preside, then he is tacitly admitting that the impeachment is not legit.

It goes on further to say "removal from office, and disqualification".  This means you can't have one without the other.  You can't disqualify without removing.

But you can remove them without disqualifying them from holding an office in the future.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jafo2010

Quote from: jafo2010 on Today at 01:26:53 PM

libertybelle...
He'll be on the bench for a long time and so will the other Tweedle Dee Dums.

Nervous nellies like Roberts, age 66, usually die young of heart attacks.  He will not last like Ginsburg. 

And we may not need to wait for four years.  If things get as bad as I anticipate with Xiden, America will want to jettison the Dems in 2022, and it is remotely possible that the Republicans get voting majorities in both houses.  I say impeach Xiden and his sidekick, which would make Charlie McCarthy POTUS.

Give the stinking Democommies a taste of their own.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:53:43 pm by jafo2010 »

Offline PeteS in CA

I see Roberts move as pointing out this shampeachment's intrinsic illegitimacy, refusing even to give the appearance of legitimacy by his physical presence. By not being present even the Dems' intent of precluding Trump from running for POTUS in 2024 would not hold up in court. That said, denouncing the sham would have been nice, but might have had future ramifications ("We demand you recuse yourself from the ______ case!").
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.