Author Topic: Report: Sen. Patrick Leahy Expected to Preside over Second Trump Impeachment Trial  (Read 537 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Sen. Patrick Leahy Expected to Preside over Second Trump Impeachment Trial

Joshua Caplan 25 Jan 2021

Sen. Patrick Leahy, President pro tempore of the U.S. Senate, is expected to preside over the upper chamber’s second impeachment trial of President Donald Trump — not U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts — according to CNN and NBC News.

Leahy’s office would not confirm the reports, instead saying the matter is up to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to decide.

“Leaders have been negotiating all process issues about the trial, and all along we have deferred to them for any announcements about this and all other process matters,” an aide told The Hill.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) is among various Republicans who have called the upcoming impeachment trial unconstitutional and questioned whether anyone but Roberts should preside over the trial.

“There’s only one constitutional process for impeachment and it is of the president, not a president,” Hawley said. “It requires the chief justice to preside.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/01/25/report-sen-patrick-leahy-expected-to-preside-over-second-trump-impeachment-trial/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Also unconstitutional. The plain language of the Constitution says that the Chief Justice shall preside. If he isn't presiding, it's not a real impeachment, although because Pres. Trump is no longer in office it isn't a real impeachment anyway. All of this is unconstitutional.
Let it burn.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Senator Rand Paul
@RandPaul

If Chief Justice Roberts can’t be bothered to come over for the so-called  impeachment, makes you wonder if this exercise is constitutional at all.

3:51 PM · Jan 25, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1353807633879363586

Offline skeeter

Senator Rand Paul
@RandPaul

If Chief Justice Roberts can’t be bothered to come over for the so-called  impeachment, makes you wonder if this exercise is constitutional at all.

3:51 PM · Jan 25, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1353807633879363586

Rand Paul jumped several increments on the respect scale after handing cupcake Stephanopolous his candy *ss yesterday.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Rand Paul jumped several increments on the respect scale after handing cupcake Stephanopolous his candy *ss yesterday.

Though I haven't always agreed with him, I like Rand and thought he'd make a decent president; I just was never thrilled with some of his viewpoints on foreign policy.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Also unconstitutional. The plain language of the Constitution says that the Chief Justice shall preside. If he isn't presiding, it's not a real impeachment, although because Pres. Trump is no longer in office it isn't a real impeachment anyway. All of this is unconstitutional.

Unconstitutional? You've GOT to be kidding me!  Don't you know that nothing is unconstitutional now.  Unless it is done by someone they don't like that is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Unconstitutional? You've GOT to be kidding me!  Don't you know that nothing is unconstitutional now.  Unless it is done by someone they don't like that is.

You know how some of our brilliant Constitutional Scholars on TBR like to elevate SCOTUS decisions over the Constitution itself?  Well, there was a 1993 SCOTUS decision that specifically states it must be the Chief Justice, and nobody else!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:00:20 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Exactly.  The DEMS will flaunt the Constitution if it favors their agenda, otherwise anything they want is theirs.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You know how some of our brilliant Constitutional Scholars on TBR like to elevate SCOTUS decisions over the Constitution itself?  Well, there was a 1993 SCOTUS decision that specifically states it must be the Chief Justice, and nobody else!

Duh! 

Article 1, Section 3, Clauses 6 and 7

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried the Chief Justice shall preside; And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Duh! 

Article 1, Section 3, Clauses 6 and 7

My observation was for the edification of the super-genius lawyer types who only care about SCOTUS Precedence while eschewing any reference to the 1789 document itself.

You know the type.  Too brilliant to grasp plain English because it's in Cursive.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
My observation was for the edification of the super-genius lawyer types who only care about SCOTUS Precedence while eschewing any reference to the 1789 document itself.

You know the type.  Too brilliant to grasp plain English because it's in Cursive.

:yowsa: I do know the type and I no longer have time for that shit!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From Bigun's post above:
"And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present."

Better watch out on this one.

If some of the Republican senators decide to boycott the trial, that seems to reduce the absolute number of votes need for a conviction downward.

Example:
With 100 Senators present to vote, 67 votes are required to convict.
BUT...
If say, only 70 Senators are present, and the Constitutional language is strictly applied, only 47 votes might be needed !

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

The Democrats play that game, but we shouldn't. We should refuse to accept the legality of the whole charade.
Let it burn.