Author Topic: Trump pushes Steve Daines to succeed McConnell as GOP's Senate leader  (Read 454 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump pushes Steve Daines to succeed McConnell as GOP's Senate leader
Stef W. Kight, Stephen Neukam

Former President Trump quietly has been urging Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) to run for GOP Senate leader — and was doing so even before Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced he was stepping aside as leader, two sources familiar with the situation tell Axios.

Why it matters: Much of the speculation about McConnell's successor has focused on the "three Johns" — Thune, Cornyn and Barrasso — but Trump's involvement signals there could be a long race for the leadership post ahead.

Trump is consolidating his power over the GOP and Republicans in Congress, and his blessing — along with a triumphant November election — could position Daines for the Senate leadership job when the new Congress starts in January.
    Daines, who also is chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, has demurred about the possibility of succeeding McConnell — but hasn't said no.
    Daines "appreciates the president's support but needs to focus on taking back the Senate" in November, one source familiar with his thinking told Axios.

more
https://www.axios.com/2024/02/29/trump-pushes-steve-daines-mcconnell-successor-senate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Re: Trump pushes Steve Daines to succeed McConnell as GOP's Senate leader
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 06:21:42 pm »
Anyone, except a McConnell crony.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 06:24:10 pm »
Anyone, except a McConnell crony.

That eliminates about half the senate and especially the three Johns.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 09:16:14 pm »
I guess that depends on how well he's doing at the helm of the Republican National Senatorial Committee.  In 2022, the NRSC cut the legs out from under a bunch of candidates and was the pivotal factor in handing the Senate to the Dems.  Arizona was winnable, but the NRSC cut off all of Blake Master's advertising in the 3-4 weeks before the Election.  All I saw were ads from Mark Kelly, not one for Masters.

But, Daines took over the NRSC so maybe things are different now.

ETA:  Rick Scot was the fellow in the 2022 Election. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:18:10 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 09:19:32 pm »
I guess that depends on how well he's doing at the helm of the Republican National Senatorial Committee.  In 2022, the NRSC cut the legs out from under a bunch of candidates and was the pivotal factor in handing the Senate to the Dems.  Arizona was winnable, but the NRSC cut off all of Blake Master's advertising in the 3-4 weeks before the Election.  All I saw were ads from Mark Kelly, not one for Masters.

Mitch is a POS and has done more harm than anyone that I can think of to the GOP.  I think more harm than McCain and Boehner.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 09:27:18 pm »
Mitch is a POS and has done more harm than anyone that I can think of to the GOP.  I think more harm than McCain and Boehner.

I don't see how Daines could be chair of the NRSC without Turtle's say so.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 09:30:57 pm »

ETA:  Rick Scot was the fellow in the 2022 Election.

Scott was a decent governor of FL up until the time that he decided to implement red flag laws in FL.  Not a fan. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:43:48 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 09:38:28 pm »
Daines is alright, sorta. On the edge of getting my vote. More moderate than I would like.
But moderate-leaning-conservative might be a good fit. Ain't saying it's so. But he's a glad-hander and may be able to pull the two ends together effectively.

That's what you sorta need in the leadership if you want to get things done... Provided it's leaning conservative. I don't know if he's that.