Author Topic: Rare Earths First? Or Last?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Rare Earths First? Or Last?
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:25:41 pm »
The Post & Email by Duggan Flanakin 1/22/2021

BIDEN'S GREEN NEW DEAL WON'T WORK WITHOUT MINING, ESPECIALLY FOR RARE-EARTH ELEMENTS

As Joe Biden and Kamala Harris take the reins of government and launch their program to “transition” America away from fossil fuels, they need to consider some hard realities. Chief among them is that no Green New Deal can succeed without major increases in US mining and processing – unless they want to make America even more dependent on China and Russia.

Rare-earth metals are essential to 21st Century technologies, including smartphones, lasers, night vision systems, weapons guidance systems – and GND technologies like wind turbines, solar panels, batteries and electric vehicles. As British hedge fund veteran James Horrocks noted in a recent article, “It is easy to see why rare earths have become a pawn in the US-China trade war.”

China, Horrocks noted, has only a third of global reserves of rare earths, but in 2017 produced over 80% of the global supply of rare-earth metals and compounds, and its exports that year to the US accounted for 78% of the 17,000 tons of US rare-earth imports. Even rare-earth metals mined in the USA are processed in the People’s Republic – because China now owns the US deposit and we’d prefer to pay the cheaper prices associated with processing under China’s abominable pollution, wage and workplace safety rules.

Christopher Barnard, national policy director at the American Conservation Coalition, is but one of many who agree that a reliable, affordable domestic supply of rare-earth metals is critical to building a “green” economy. Last month Barnard warned that “the geopolitical, economic and environmental risks” inherent in near-total reliance on a potentially hostile power “can no longer be ignored.”

More: https://www.thepostemail.com/2021/01/22/rare-earths-first-or-last/

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Rare Earths First? Or Last?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:29:44 pm »
I think we will lose count of how many times and examples that these stupid f'er's don't think things through.

On the Econ side, I've heard NGD might drop us out of the top 5 in GDP by planned 2035 implementation.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

Re: Rare Earths First? Or Last?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 05:34:44 pm »
I think we will lose count of how many times and examples that these stupid f'er's don't think things through.

And the unfortunate  outcome is they will be immune from their policies. It’ll be folks like you and I that will suffer the most
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy