Author Topic: Android: Removing Google  (Read 1284 times)

Offline roamer_1

Android: Removing Google
« on: January 21, 2021, 12:51:14 am »
Big Tech trying to censure has really put a knot in my tail, and I find a great offense in it So I have taken what steps I can to move away.

Faceboot was really no problem. I just deleted my account. I was only there as a convenience to get at pics of my grands, and I can get at that another way, so outside of  me now lacking input from screaming liberal jackwads, tiresome memes, and endless kitty pictures... Faceboot is no more. Easy.

Twatter was never my thing anyway.

So that brings me to Giggle. Now this one is a bugger. When I got into my smartphone, I was dumb, and knew no more than to plop everything together the easy way - I knew I was getting lead by the nose, but I knew no better and thus took the tourist route.

And I was happy with it. It worked good, and it was easy enough to just say they'll track me anyway, so it stayed untll this day of discontent.So over the past while, I have been mercilessly hacking away, trying to get as much Google off the phone as I can. This is an attempt to document that path somewhat and I encourage others to add to it.

First the broad strokes. Chrome, Search and Home. All my machines have Chrome onboard, but I am mainly a Firefox guy. And the main reason Chrome snuck onto all my machines was because of the services I use in my phone. It is just too easy to use Chrome in a Google environment. So take away the phone tricks, provide an alternative, and Chrome is gone easy enough. And like everyone else, it is too easy to leave the default search engine in everything as it is - Even Firefox uses Google by default.

Now I left that in firefox long ago for Startpage, but I have settled on Yippy, mainly because it has nothing to do with Google at all - It uses IBM's Watson as an engine. And you may be surprised how much comes back in a search without any Google messin with it... Excellent. As of right now, Every machine I own is running firefox in some capacity, using Yippy as the default search engine. In the droids, the Google Search widget on my home screen is gone, replaced with the Firefox widget. And Firefox is the default browser.

And that brings me to the nitty gritty. The Droids. I am under no illusions here. Google is wedged in there deep. I don't suppose  can ever get rid of it, but I aim to do what I can...

Foremost for me is AI. I can't see the phone real well without hauling out my glasses, so I wind up talking to it... And getting rid of Giggles Assistant was going to be painful. My first attempt was to use Microsoft Launcher to turn my tablet into what is basically a windows overlay of the existing system. And on an old machine, like my Galaxy Tab A is (2017), this may be all you get - Cortana. And it is alright I guess.

Having worked out the rough edges of that, I went to convert my phone, which is the real thing... But messin with it, I found something else: Bixby. Bixby (technically Bixby Voice and Bixby Vision) is Samsung's new AI, available on higher end phones and tablets. And it is great for me. It tends to understand me better already than Giggles or Cortana. And it is sufficient. Not to say it is perfect - An example: If I say, "Bixby, show me the closest pizzeria" She will just come back with a Yelp or Yellow Pages return of all the pizza joints in town, where Giggles will haul up a map and show me a tight, close selection, and tell me which one is closest. No biggie - I know which ones are closest anyway. It ain't as whippy. But it will do. And it is new, and improvements are bound to come. I have been on Bixby for a week now, and it's a keeper. I can work with it.

Next was messaging. I simply eliminated Google messages and fell back to the Samsung default. And it turns out it works way better. Just ain't quite so flashy... and that led me to eliminate Google Keyboard... Took me a bit to acclimatize to the Samsung KB, but it's good now. Contacts, same thing. Using Samsung.

Now I am using enough Samsung to actually investigate my Samsung account - and I got rid of the Google email that used to log me in... Just went onsite with my laptop and changed the email to my microsoft addy and changed the password... But digging around, I found SamsungPay... Signed that up and got rid of Google Pay, and tied the SamsungPay to my bank and my Paypal.

Moving right along, now comes the killer... PIM. My calendar, tasks, and reminders. Though that would stop me dead. But it wasn't all that bad. Get on Gmail through a browser in your PC, and you will find it fairly easy to export all that... And just as easy to import into Outlook. Once it was all there and running good, I went back to Google and cleared them all.

Now, there is some monkey-farting,finding duplicates  like birthday calendars and holiday calendars... Somehow, in the process, the stock Samsung stuff got loaded with my Microsoft account. So I went to go figure out why, and it seems that Bixby actually writes to the Samsung stuff, and then the Samsung stuff syncs with the Microsoft account. So shut off the display of the Samsung stuff and shut it off from notifying, and all the troubles go away. Only the Outlook calendars show up in Outlook and only Outlook notifies.

And here's the cool part. Better_than_Google. I am a task oriented guy, and while I use the calendar too,  tasking is how I address projects, and using reminders on the fly from Assistant. That's the working end of my PIM. Now here's the cool part: Bixby natively syncs reminders with MS To-Do !!! Now anything I tell Bixby to remind me about (and all the missed calls to boot) wind up in my To Do lists for management. This_is_awesome. I can't tell you how happy I am to have Mail, Cal, Task, and Reminders all wind up seamlessly on my desktop. and it just works.

Equally good, because I am now in Outlook, in my PC, the apps I have always ignored  like mail, todo, and contacts all work... Even the tiles in the Start work with it, and notifications are native on the desktop, whether the apps are on or not.

Lastly, the final thing that will get Chrome off my desktops... MS Your Phone. One of the things I use a ton is Google Messages for the Web, which allows you to get text messages from your phone in a browser on your desktop... Just go to the site, scan the QR code, plug your phone into 110, and you're good to go. Run the phone with wireless earbuds, and send/reply messages right on the desk.

MS YourPhone is similar. You turn on 'Link to Windows' in the phone, pull up 'Your Phone' on your desktop or laptop, and it gives you a QR code for your phone to scan one time, and that's it. And it handles multiple connections (one at a time), so it works with my laptop or my main whip on the desk. It's a power hog alright - you will want to plug the phone into power, but it does WAY more than the Google alt. It has a built in VM, so you can literally operate your phone right on your desktop, running apps, getting notified, everything but file transfer and backup. If you have bluetooth on your PC, you can even send and receive calls right there

That's about where I am right now. My next trick is Navigation. Replace Google Maps. I have Waze in there right now I have not used it enough to know anything... But I am getting very close to disabling Chrome, Maps, Assistant, Drive, Duo, and Notes. And that doesn't leave much left in operation... I do not believe I can replace the system mike, nor the location, both of which use Google, but I can end-run the mike by using something that has that capability internal to the software. I think Bixby uses its  own, and FF seems to too, so long as you don't se the mike in the widget - put your caret in the search and use the mike on the keyboard.

And before anybody says I am trading one devil for the other, I know. The difference is, I am already using Microsoft, and I am already using Samsung. And it is Google I am trying to rid myself of - They are one of the active culprits. And short of converting Command Central to Linux (which can damn sure happen if they start barking like the rest), Microsoft is here to stay.

I will come back here to post more as I find it out... And I would be happy to help others - I know this is a rather generic account - but it is already a small tome just telling the story. Let me know if YOU find more or better.

Offline roamer_1

Re: Android: Removing Google
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 02:39:53 pm »
Addendum:

a month in and I am still happily using Bixby AI. It got a little weird getting to it, as Samsung replaced the Bixby Home left-swipe from the desktop to Samsung Free TV - which is really useless to me, as I can't see the dang screen well enough to watch TV on it anyhow. And I kinda miss Bixby Home... it's cards became something like Win10 cards, with my emails, texts, schedule and etc showing up there in a notated form, better, more useful to me than notifications.

But I am getting by without it.

I also found Samsung Flow, which, with an additional app added to Windows, works just about like Windows Your Phone (though in truth I probably prefer the latter).

I have not found a suitable maps app. Waze is alright for nav, but not for maps otherwise... and it is kinda clunky wrt interacting with the system, so I have to literally turn it on and program it, rather than just asking the phone directly. It utterly fails at 'Where is Pizza Hut?' type of questions...

So, while waze is the best alt nav I have found I cannot relieve myself of Google Maps... Which does interface with Bixby just fine. So still looking...

Everything else is still the same, except that the phone works better using Samsung's browser as default (system calls and such). I still use Firefox for any actual browsing I might want to do.

Everything Google is gone from my phone except Google its self (disabled), Chrome (enabled for Maps, but not used otherwise) GMail (disabled, using Samsung client for access), Play store, and its associated drivers, Text to speech, and Maps.

And that is likely to be what it is for a while.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:43:01 pm »
I guess that's the difference. I use my phone to make calls, use maps sometimes, don't web search or surf or watch teevee on it, any social media is done on the machine, but I do get texts, and that is about it. I had another app which kept track of what was going on on the oil rig I was working on, but that is sidelined and has been since oil went into negative territory, and maybe for a few more months.
I haven't used Bixby, although it might be handy, for the same reason I don't use Alexa. If I don't turn those ears on, I don't have to turn them off, even though they might be handy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 07:20:45 pm »
If I don't turn those ears on, I don't have to turn them off, even though they might be handy.

Nothing says them ears ain't on anyway...  :whistle: :shrug:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:26:48 am »
Nothing says them ears ain't on anyway...  :whistle: :shrug:
Which is why there is Gorilla tape over the camera and the mic port...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:35:55 am »
Which is why there is Gorilla tape over the camera and the mic port...

That's awesome.  :laugh:

I have a decision before me - I may go back to a flip phone and forget it all, as was my wont when I ventured down the trail leading to this OP... The thing that gives me pause is PIM. Being able to manage my schedule on the fly is a critical thing that I do not want to forego. That's the unicorn I have been chasing nearly all my life. Ubiquitous access across all machines... On the fly with no double posting.

It's like the most beautiful woman in the world, with a road kill skunk draped around her neck... Oh how I want it, if I could only get past the smell...

So I may do as I was first inclined, and let Google pass on from my life, eschewing that function. Though it is a hard chunk to swallow.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:37:09 am by roamer_1 »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:21:54 pm »
I kept my flip phone.  I buy used Nokia's from eBay when it breaks.  I don't care to be tracked by Google and Apple.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:39:03 pm »
I kept my flip phone.  I buy used Nokia's from eBay when it breaks.  I don't care to be tracked by Google and Apple.

Dammit. Your avatavar looks too much like the chocolate chip bag from over to the Costco. I ain't gonna like it if every time you post I gotta go get me some... That's a lie right there. I'll like it just fine.

But as to your point, 3 years ago, I would have gladly said the same. in fact, three years ago all I had was a flip phone, and it spent most of it's time in the junk drawer in the kitchen.

And I ain't an app whore... Not much for taking pics... Can't see the dang thing well enough to watch anything on it, nor comfortably read... So most of what most folks do don't do me no good.

But the things I cannot get around are PIM and navigation.Those two functions are absolutely vital and I do not want to be rid of them. So I am looking for alternatives.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 04:42:24 am »
Dammit. Your avatavar looks too much like the chocolate chip bag from over to the Costco. I ain't gonna like it if every time you post I gotta go get me some... That's a lie right there. I'll like it just fine.

But as to your point, 3 years ago, I would have gladly said the same. in fact, three years ago all I had was a flip phone, and it spent most of it's time in the junk drawer in the kitchen.

And I ain't an app whore... Not much for taking pics... Can't see the dang thing well enough to watch anything on it, nor comfortably read... So most of what most folks do don't do me no good.

But the things I cannot get around are PIM and navigation.Those two functions are absolutely vital and I do not want to be rid of them. So I am looking for alternatives.
That camera is completely handy for getting part numbers, model numbers from the stickers put in places you can't get to without doing a lot more work.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 04:51:49 am »
That camera is completely handy for getting part numbers, model numbers from the stickers put in places you can't get to without doing a lot more work.

I will agree with that - at least in theory - but it always seems I am cleaning the serial plate off blind, and getting out a mirror tied to a radio antenna to read the dang thing (backwards)  :shrug:

However, I COULD take a pic of the mirror and flip the thing so it reads the right way... Huh. first time I thought of doing that...  :laugh:

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 05:15:36 am »
Heck, I don't even have a freaking phone (wife does). I just use the home phone (landline) and get 5 calls a day (spam).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 05:59:10 am »
Heck, I don't even have a freaking phone (wife does). I just use the home phone (landline) and get 5 calls a day (spam).

Well my landline is my business phone. When I am in command central I am plugged into that landline with the back line, skype, and my cell, literally umbilicaled to my main whip desktop...

Believe me. I would love to be entirely unplugged the very second I am off the desk. But the cell buys me freedom to at least get around town during business hours. It is also invaluable on my route, easily navigating to unfamiliar addresses and being able to handle PIM literally on the fly.

And unfortunately, until such time as my infirmities are resolved, I have conceded to my family and agreed to carry cell and/or comms in the field, as everyone is afraid for me messing up myself and not being able to get myself out.

A necessary evil that buys my family some solace, and me a negotiated freedom.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 05:01:15 pm »
I will agree with that - at least in theory - but it always seems I am cleaning the serial plate off blind, and getting out a mirror tied to a radio antenna to read the dang thing (backwards)  :shrug:

However, I COULD take a pic of the mirror and flip the thing so it reads the right way... Huh. first time I thought of doing that...  :laugh:
Get a 'selfie stick' and just get the shot. About all that is useful for, imo.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 08:34:53 pm »

Wish I had one that was intrinsically safe.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 09:03:59 pm »
Get a 'selfie stick' and just get the shot. About all that is useful for, imo.

Oh I don't know...  :pondering:

There's parts of me I ain't seen in years...  :laugh: