Exclusive Content > Editorials

Our Perceptions of World War II

<< < (2/10) > >>

Absalom:

--- Quote from: starbuck_archer on January 20, 2021, 08:32:49 pm ---Since as far back as I can remember, there has been a certain "popular memory" of World War II in the United States: Outnumbered and outmatched by a technologically superior German Army or Japanese Navy, the scrappy Allies unite to achieve a victory "against the odds" for freedom around the world.
The idea that the German Reich or Imperial Japan ever stood a snowflake's chance in hell of winning World War II is where things get mixed up: at no point after Winston Churchill was made PM could Germany have won, and at no point after Pearl Harbor could Japan have won.

--- End quote ---
-------------------------
So Winston Churchill's Premiership prevented Germany from winning in WW2?
Hmm..................so lets evaluate Churchill's strategic and tactical vision in his past.
Before the Great War, Churchill was First Lord of the British Admiralty while
Sir John Fisher remained the First Sea Lord.
Churchill strongly promoted, then activated a plan to attack the Ottoman Empire
at Gallipoli on the Dardanelles Peninsula; the objective being to cripple the Turks,
driving them out of the war and relieving pressure on Russian Forces in the Crimea.
The assault commenced in 1915 and was an unmitigated disaster inflicting some 250,000 casualties oh the Allies, principally British, Australian and New Zealand infantry;
followed by an ignominious retreat by British Land and Naval Forces in 1916.
A War Commission appointed to assess the tragedy concluded the following:
* the Gallipoli Campaign was very poorly planned and executed.
* severe difficulties with enemy terrain were ignored and underestimated.
* chronic shortages of medical supplies and munitions persisted thru the campaign.
* leadership procrastination and timidity at critical stages was never corrected.
As a consequence, Churchill was dismissed by Parliament; resurfacing in the late 30ties.
So how did Churchill's leadership prevent German victory in WW2?????

Wingnut:
I bought a Toyota.  We won the battle but the Japs won the war.

Hoodat:
The biggest Axis mistake of WWII was the decision by Japan to attack the United States.  If they had attacked the Soviet Union instead, Moscow would have fallen in 1941, and they would have won.

jafo2010:
I disagree on that.  In my humble opinion, the greatest mistake of WWII was made by Adolph Hitler.  After the Pearl Harbor attack, Hitler declared war on the USA on December 10th.  Had he not done that, FDR would have been forced to concentrate USA efforts on the Pacific, leaving Europe to their own devices. 

When he declared war, his key generals knew they were defeated. 

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: Wingnut on January 21, 2021, 04:10:40 am ---I bought a Toyota.  We won the battle but the Japs won the war.

--- End quote ---

I bought two Toyota, both manufactured in the US.  Japanese manufacturers embraced automation while US unions rejected it.  Which is why foreign-owned plants in the US continue to thrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version