Exclusive Content > Editorials

Our Perceptions of World War II

<< < (3/10) > >>

skeeter:

--- Quote from: jafo2010 on February 08, 2021, 06:25:16 am ---I disagree on that.  In my humble opinion, the greatest mistake of WWII was made by Adolph Hitler.  After the Pearl Harbor attack, Hitler declared war on the USA on December 10th.  Had he not done that, FDR would have been forced to concentrate USA efforts on the Pacific, leaving Europe to their own devices. 

When he declared war, his key generals knew they were defeated.

--- End quote ---
The greatest mistake of WWII was 'Dolph starting the damn thing in the first place. He had already revived the German economy, restored her to equality among the powers and had largely re-united Germanic peoples without firing a shot. He probably could have enlisted Poland as an ally against the Soviets instead of attacking it.

Of course all of this leaves out the fact the man was mad.

In the east Japan was imitating (or preceding) Germany's folly first by attacking China, then by invading SE Asia prior to attacking a nation 10 time stronger than she. If Japan had stopped after invading Manchuria she'd probably still be there but no. And the warlords of Japan cannot claim insanity.

Absalom:

--- Quote from: starbuck_archer on January 20, 2021, 08:32:49 pm ---
............China has a massive advantage over us in population: over 1 billion to 340 million.  Their oil reserves are only slightly less than our own and they have more factories and shipyards than we do.  Every single advantage we held in WWII is either neutralized (oil, being roughly equal) or China has the advantage.

--- End quote ---
----------------------------------
What the hell are you blathering on about?
* So population size is definitive, is it?
In 331 BC. the Persians, under Darius, confronted Alexander at Gaugamela, Mesopotamia
outnumbering him by some 5 to 1. After 20 hours, Darius was hanging from a tree and the
Persian Empire shattered. So much for size!
* China burns coal and wood as they are w/o petrochemical sourced energy.

DefiantMassRINO:
I see Chinese emigrating to America.  I don't see Americans emigrating to PRC.

Sled Dog:

--- Quote from: Hoodat on January 21, 2021, 06:02:18 am ---The biggest Axis mistake of WWII was the decision by Japan to attack the United States.  If they had attacked the Soviet Union instead, Moscow would have fallen in 1941, and they would have won.

--- End quote ---

Japan had no reason to attack the Soviet Union, and until Operation Barbarossa, the Soviet Union was besties with Hitler, and through him, Japan.

The Soviets remained a non-issue to the Japanese until the last month of the war.

The United States, on the other hand, shut down sales of scrap metal and energy to the Japanese in response to their attack on China that led to the sinking of the USS Panay, a flag-bearing river boat.

The United States had bases in the Philipines, bases that were going to interfere with Japan's goal of capturing oil resources in the West Pacific, along with Britain.

And the United States looked like an easy mark to knock off.   We'd been resisting the war all along, a very sensible idea, since Europe's problems weren't our problems.

Their biggest mistake was in starting the war with China in the first place, and they made an equally large blunder by attacking Pearl Harbor.  The US did not want to get into the wars, and would have resisted strongly...then the surprise attack on Pearl.   US mood changed over night.

We declared war on Japan, ignored Germany.   

Sled Dog:

--- Quote from: DefiantMassRINO on March 04, 2021, 08:43:45 pm ---I see Chinese emigrating to America.  I don't see Americans emigrating to PRC.

--- End quote ---

They don't have to.

"China is here now, Mr. Burton." - Big Trouble In Little China.

I'm betting the Chinese Communist Party doesn't employ Americans to drive their cars or wax their poles, like the Rodents in America do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version