Author Topic: Rural Minnesota man who made illegal explosives for Hollywood and NFL sentenced to federal prison  (Read 500 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Andy Mannix - Star Tribune  January 16, 2021

A man who ran a business manufacturing and selling homemade explosives out of a shed in Western Minnesota was sentenced to one year and 10 months in federal prison on Tuesday.

Federal agents arrested Kenneth Ray Miller, of Brownsville, after reading a profile about his business in Popular Science magazine. The article described Miller as a special-effects wizard who made chemical smoke bombs and sold them to the NFL, air shows, Hollywood movies, the military and foreign militaries.

Miller had a record of felony convictions that prohibited him from using some of the explosive materials. Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also found illegal firearms on Miller’s property when they raided it last Spring, according to court documents.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/01/rural-minnesota-man-who-made-illegal-explosives-for-hollywood-and-nfl-sentenced-to-federal-prison/

Offline thackney

...after reading a profile about his business in Popular Science magazine ....

....Miller had a record of felony convictions that prohibited him from using so...

If we can find his mugshot, it would make a perfect "here's your sign" meme.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It appears the explosive devices he had were "electric matches" and his smoke generators contained "Potassium Chlorate". I looked up the electric matches and the ATF has them listed as a class 1.4(Minor explosion hazard). I didn't look up the chlorate. My last order of smokeless powder was labeled as "Explosive C 1.4" That puts it under the same class, but under the propellant category. Though he did get nailed for possessing 3 guns.

Brownsville Felon Charged With Illegal Manufacturing And Possession Of Explosives, Firearms

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mn/pr/brownsville-felon-charged-illegal-manufacturing-and-possession-explosives-firearms

According to the allegations in the indictment, from 2013 through June 25, 2019, MILLER knowingly engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, dealing, and transporting explosive materials, including smoke generating devices containing electric igniters (also known as electric matches) and a chlorate explosive mixture. MILLER was also in possession of three firearms, including a Smith & Wesson Model 19-6 revolver, a Winchester Model 1200, 12-gauge shotgun, and a Norinco SKS Sporter rifle. Because MILLER has prior felony convictions, he is prohibited from possessing explosives or firearms.

Online roamer_1

It appears the explosive devices he had were "electric matches" and his smoke generators contained "Potassium Chlorate". I looked up the electric matches and the ATF has them listed as a class 1.4(Minor explosion hazard). I didn't look up the chlorate. My last order of smokeless powder was labeled as "Explosive C 1.4" That puts it under the same class, but under the propellant category. Though he did get nailed for possessing 3 guns.

The point in fact is his prior felony, and his possession, not what he possessed.

And it brings back a favorite subject of mine- I know quite a few good ol boys who kicked their heels up a mite too high in their yoot (truly there, but for the grace of God, go I) and were hung with a felony conviction... They cannot possess a firearm, nor any sort of explosive, *FOR LIFE*, along with losing the right to vote and etc...

That's damn well wrong. Country folks survive on hunting. especially in hard times. And such a feller, when faced with a stump to pull, is not likely to fail to resort to the thing that works the best for doing it, and can be easily made from things he has laying around... And remits the cost of a backhoe and operator, a cost he likely cannot cover. IOW, of course he is gonna blow the damn thing up.

And along those lines, it is near impossible to live in the country and NOT possess the fixins. So it is always just a matter of desire on the part of the Law, to saunter in at any time and throw his ass back in the hoosegow. And it happens just that way all the dang time.

Another reason for country folks to have a weird love/hate thing going on with the law - Especially the feds, as the local law tends to understand that a feller meant no harm and would look the other way.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:23:48 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I hunt with a good friend I've know most my whole life. He's a felon for pot possession back when in Texas, possession of any amount was a felony offense. So he's a felon for life. In Texas he can keep a weapon in his house, but can't buy one or hunt with one. (Yea right).

Online roamer_1

I hunt with a good friend I've know most my whole life. He's a felon for pot possession back when in Texas, possession of any amount was a felony offense. So he's a felon for life. In Texas he can keep a weapon in his house, but can't buy one or hunt with one. (Yea right).

'Yeah right' is right. Folks up in here pay all that no mind, unless the guy is a danger... Then they'll do little to stop him going away. And rightly so.

But those I know have long ago done their time, and never were much of a harm to anyone outside the specific circumstance... Or have long ago shaken their giggles out, as it were, and straightened out and have been flying right for decades... Good men. And here they cannot own a gun, although they all do, and must... and are forced to poach if it comes to it. They all hunt bow legally, but don't dare to put the tag on if they turn to a rifle to fill their larder.

And all that is a damnable shame. 

Offline thackney

'Yeah right' is right. Folks up in here pay all that no mind, unless the guy is a danger... Then they'll do little to stop him going away. And rightly so.

But those I know have long ago done their time, and never were much of a harm to anyone outside the specific circumstance... Or have long ago shaken their giggles out, as it were, and straightened out and have been flying right for decades... Good men. And here they cannot own a gun, although they all do, and must... and are forced to poach if it comes to it. They all hunt bow legally, but don't dare to put the tag on if they turn to a rifle to fill their larder.

And all that is a damnable shame.

Just another option is antique muzzleloading guns manufactured prior to 1899 or replicas of them.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods#:~:text=possess%20a%20firearm%20if%20a,use%20rimfire%20or%20centerfire%20ammunition.

Well, they could if they lived in Texas.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/court-felons-cant-own-muzzleloaders/article_f2f1cf51-0189-59de-ab2b-8d0a09848aa1.html

Online roamer_1

Just another option is antique muzzleloading guns manufactured prior to 1899 or replicas of them.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods#:~:text=possess%20a%20firearm%20if%20a,use%20rimfire%20or%20centerfire%20ammunition.

Well, they could if they lived in Texas.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/court-felons-cant-own-muzzleloaders/article_f2f1cf51-0189-59de-ab2b-8d0a09848aa1.html

yeah, i think black powder might be legal here too... But griz. You gotta be an idiot to be up in these hills with a single shot... And I don't rightly know if it is legal or not... I used to hang out at the rondys as did some of them others I am talking of... but no one would rely much on black powder for subsistence.

Offline thackney

yeah, i think black powder might be legal here too... But griz. You gotta be an idiot to be up in these hills with a single shot... And I don't rightly know if it is legal or not... I used to hang out at the rondys as did some of them others I am talking of... but no one would rely much on black powder for subsistence.

From the second link:

Though it may be a replica of an antique weapon, a muzzleloader is still a firearm, and so it's illegal for a convicted felon to own one, the Idaho Court of Appeals has ruled.

The appellate court handed down the ruling last week in the case against Lake Fork resident Larry Verl Dolsby, a convicted felon who was arrested for investigation of unlawful possession of a firearm while hunting for elk with a muzzleloader.

Offline mountaineer

I sometimes watch those shows on NatGeoWild, where they ride along with state game wardens in Texas, Maine and New Hampshire. They've busted more than one felon for having hunted with a firearm.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

From the second link:

Though it may be a replica of an antique weapon, a muzzleloader is still a firearm, and so it's illegal for a convicted felon to own one, the Idaho Court of Appeals has ruled.

The appellate court handed down the ruling last week in the case against Lake Fork resident Larry Verl Dolsby, a convicted felon who was arrested for investigation of unlawful possession of a firearm while hunting for elk with a muzzleloader.

Alright.. But that's ID, not MT. They're sisters (ID,WY,MT) and are a lot the same. But not the same.  happy77

Offline thackney

Alright.. But that's ID, not MT. They're sisters (ID,WY,MT) and are a lot the same. But not the same.  happy77

Sorry, today is my day for brain farts.

Online roamer_1