Author Topic: Americans Supposedly Just Voted for Only Electric Vehicles  (Read 2549 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Americans Supposedly Just Voted for Only Electric Vehicles
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:48 am »
You think Elon is behind all of this?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 01:26:15 am »
Another example of a leftist basing policy on how it makes them feel versus who it hurts or the consequences
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 03:06:11 am »
Captain Dementia to Scotty: Scotty we need more power in the...the...you know the thing.
Scotty to Captain Dementia: Cap'n the grid canna' take it! It canna handle the load now, it's gonna blow!
Captain Dememtia: Blow you say? I love to blow in the ears of little girls and smell their hair......................pudding, I want some pudding mommy Jill.

Apparently Captain Dementia And Major Harlot believe they can replace gas powered cars with all electric vehicles whilst eliminating coal, gas and nuclear generating and replace it with Unicorn Farts and make believe.
:happyhappy:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 03:12:05 am »
@SZonian

The important thing to remember here is the Senate and House leadership and some non-leadership members/close realtives were gifted stock certificates in these new energy companies,so they will NOT be allowed to fail.
@sneakypete
No all it means is that they will not be allowed to fail until after those 'special' stockholder have sold their shares back to the company at a huuuge profit will be eaten by the taxpayer with the rest of the defaulted loans.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 03:13:40 am »
Let them eat cake... Nothing new.

But I am FOR alt power for houses... Not the way they are, but what a gain to have that distribution... and all of that feeding back into the grid during peak... Where sunny cal is serving the stormy north on cloudy days... and power outages become entirely rare. I think that ought to be built into new homes as a matter of course - A fail-over generator and a solar system (w/batts) is not that much more by the square foot in new construction terms.
I seem to recall that CA has already enacted new construction regulations for solar power.  It's just passed on to the home buyer as one would expect.  Problem here is the conflicting code requirements, intrusion into the roof, damage to tiles, dust, pigeons roosting under the panels, loss of efficiency over time, disposal of said toxic panels and the cost to maintain and replace.  Two of my neighbors had to wait almost 2 years to get their installations approved before they could "hook up".  Feeding back into the grid for others in other states at the CA homeowner's expense benefits them how?.  There is a maze of regulations that deal with compensation for the power generated and it generally doesn't benefit the homeowner.

My average power bill is about $125 a month factoring in summer rates.  I don't need nor want solar, it's a pain in the ass.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 03:14:45 am »
@SZonian

The important thing to remember here is the Senate and House leadership and some non-leadership members/close realtives were gifted stock certificates in these new energy companies,so they will NOT be allowed to fail.
There is much truth in what you say...those slime don't enact anything of such a nature unless they or their spawn will benefit somehow.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 03:21:29 am »
:happyhappy:
@SZonian
Thank you, I'll mark this on my calendar as one of my few successes even if it was only you I brought a chuckle to.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 03:22:25 am »
Aside from really stripping down the available used vehicles last time, all "cash for clunkers" did was eliminate a valuable source of spare parts for those which were not crushed. Not so much as a bolt could be taken off those vehicles, and they took up acres of (believe it or not) valuable salvage yard space before the inspectors got around to checking them out and okaying them to be crushed, reducing inventories (because of the space limitations), and costing the yard operators money in the long run. Perfectly useable parts that would have saved vehicle owners money were needlessly crushed, and the cost, environmentally and monetarily of manufacturing a new part was greater.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 03:40:52 am »
I seem to recall that CA has already enacted new construction regulations for solar power.  It's just passed on to the home buyer as one would expect.  Problem here is the conflicting code requirements, intrusion into the roof, damage to tiles, dust, pigeons roosting under the panels, loss of efficiency over time, disposal of said toxic panels and the cost to maintain and replace.  Two of my neighbors had to wait almost 2 years to get their installations approved before they could "hook up".  Feeding back into the grid for others in other states at the CA homeowner's expense benefits them how?.  There is a maze of regulations that deal with compensation for the power generated and it generally doesn't benefit the homeowner.

My average power bill is about $125 a month factoring in summer rates.  I don't need nor want solar, it's a pain in the ass.
My daughter and SIL live in Fullerton, CA and their bill last summer averaged $400. They were approached by a solar comapany sometime in November last year and they gave the guys the go ahead in December and with the holidays the new roof was put on and new electrical panel, wiring and solar panels installation was completed yesterday. They are waiting on final inspection from the building department. I saw a picture of the new panel and grounding rods and wire and was  thinking If I had done something like that I would have been chewed out by my boss.
My daughter griped to the guy 'supervising' about the two grounding rods and the wire and this expert told her they only had to be there for the inspection and then they could go. These are the professionals in solar panel instalation **nononono*

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 04:07:01 am »
That could be interesting from a tax standpoint. Both the Feds and the states get lots of taxes from gasoline sales.
Here's how Texas is solving this.  And remember:  Musk moved here anyway.

Texas plan targets electric vehicle owners with higher fees

L.M. Sixel Nov. 13, 2020 Updated: Nov. 13, 2020 9:38 p.m.
Comments
Buyers of electric vehicles would be required to pay an extra registration fee of $200 and an additional $200 renewal fee each year if the Texas Legislature approves a bill filed this week.
Buyers of electric vehicles would be required to pay an extra registration fee of $200 and an additional $200 renewal fee each year if the Texas Legislature approves a bill filed this week.

Owners of electric and hybrid vehicles in Texas would face higher fees every year under a proposal that would help shore up the state’s road fund, which relies on a decreasing amount of gas taxes.

Electric vehicles would be hit with an additional $200 registration and annual renewal fee, while hybrids, which use a combination of gasoline and electric power, would be taxed an additional $100 for registration and renewal, according to a proposal from state Rep. Ken King, a Panhandle Republican. King could not immediately be reached for comment.

Revenue from the proposed fees would go to the state highway fund, which the Texas Comptroller reported had $14.2 billion in revenue during 2019 and expects revenue of $14.6 billion in 2020.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Texas-EV-owners-would-pay-extra-200-15725167.php#:~:text=Revenue%20from%20the%20proposed%20fees,electric%20vehicles%20for%20extra%20fees.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:08:34 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 05:38:37 am »
Here's how Texas is solving this.  And remember:  Musk moved here anyway.

Texas plan targets electric vehicle owners with higher fees

L.M. Sixel Nov. 13, 2020 Updated: Nov. 13, 2020 9:38 p.m.
Comments

Owners of electric and hybrid vehicles in Texas would face higher fees every year under a proposal that would help shore up the state’s road fund, which relies on a decreasing amount of gas taxes.

Electric vehicles would be hit with an additional $200 registration and annual renewal fee, while hybrids, which use a combination of gasoline and electric power, would be taxed an additional $100 for registration and renewal, according to a proposal from state Rep. Ken King, a Panhandle Republican. King could not immediately be reached for comment.

Revenue from the proposed fees would go to the state highway fund, which the Texas Comptroller reported had $14.2 billion in revenue during 2019 and expects revenue of $14.6 billion in 2020.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Texas-EV-owners-would-pay-extra-200-15725167.php#:~:text=Revenue%20from%20the%20proposed%20fees,electric%20vehicles%20for%20extra%20fees.
Well that seems reasonable but only if the electric vehicles mileage isn't higher than the state average, but considering that EV tend to weigh ~800 to ~1000 pounds more than equivalent side internal combustion vehicles they tend to cause more road and infrastructture wear. At least that's the way it looks to me.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 06:23:15 am »
Well that seems reasonable but only if the electric vehicles mileage isn't higher than the state average, but considering that EV tend to weigh ~800 to ~1000 pounds more than equivalent side internal combustion vehicles they tend to cause more road and infrastructture wear. At least that's the way it looks to me.
I don't know if Texas has a fuels tax for highway use, but EVs won't be paying that, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:03 pm »
My daughter and SIL live in Fullerton, CA and their bill last summer averaged $400. They were approached by a solar comapany sometime in November last year and they gave the guys the go ahead in December and with the holidays the new roof was put on and new electrical panel, wiring and solar panels installation was completed yesterday. They are waiting on final inspection from the building department. I saw a picture of the new panel and grounding rods and wire and was  thinking If I had done something like that I would have been chewed out by my boss.
My daughter griped to the guy 'supervising' about the two grounding rods and the wire and this expert told her they only had to be there for the inspection and then they could go. These are the professionals in solar panel instalation **nononono*
A couple of years ago, when there were huge "rebates" to install solar, companies were popping up like roaches.  Ads on radio and tv were practically non-stop, door to door solicitations, etc.  So that pretty much indicated to me that there was a lot of shenanigans going on...I've heard some good, mostly bad.  A co-worker of mine went all in on solar as she purchased electric cars.  The company tried to pass off cheaper panels as those she purchased and installed the car charging systems incorrectly, but that was only discovered by the inspector who showed up months after the installation because the company never notified them they were "finished".  After almost a year of fighting with them and threatening litigation, she finally got what she had ordered.  Then another 2-3 months to get it approved and "connected".

I'm not saying there isn't any value in solar, just that what I've seen here in CA makes it a big no right now.

Depending on where our forever home is outside of CA...I will probably have solar installed IF the conditions are right.  I figure we'll be dead by the time the panels fail, so it'll be "one and done" for us.   wink777

Online roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2021, 03:09:37 pm »

Sounds like your bitch is with your city/state more than the solar itself.

I don;t care about the benefit to others except in the case that it is probably the best move possible to de-centralize the grid. I am for the distributed platform. That is hard to hit effectively. And I am also for folks not having to endure outage and rolling outage.

And no, the costs are not that bad - It's money alright. and the money is all up front, which hurts. But maintenance is not expensive, especially if it is staggered. Many hillbillies I know start with two panels and two batteries and add on as they go - Part of that is certainly about the cost, no doubt. But it is also about staggering on the end too - When it starts to fail nearly 15  years out, it will tend to fail a little at a time, as the oldest stuff will be the point of failure. SO replacement goes on a little at a time too.

I think your opinion is not taking consideration of improvements in the tech. It is cheaper to buy and install, more efficient, and better made than before. I know it doesn't pay for some folks - me, I pay about 50 bucks a month for electric in the winter, when I use it most. But I will be committed to solar up in the holler (nothing else for it if I want electricity) And up there it definitely is cheaper than dragging in a line.

But even here - Just for the peace of mind - I am putting in a rudimentary system. A couple panels just to keep the batteries cycling... and batteries between the house and the jenny so the jenny doesn't have to run all the dang time during an outage. Four panels and four batteries would run me fine, other than 220... and maybe when the nuke kicked on, or the fridge and freezer kicked on at the same time. But between use and on-grid buy-back programs,the investment really ain't as bad as it looks. Especially if scaled.

And I guarantee - I will never pay 125 a month for electric.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2021, 03:15:53 pm »
My daughter and SIL live in Fullerton, CA and their bill last summer averaged $400.

I will *never* pay that kind of money for electricity.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2021, 03:40:12 pm »
So DC is gonna burn the presses and print $450B for the cars, again depressing the used car market for the lower income folks by removing them from circulation.

How much is DC going to print for the in home recharging systems?  Another $1T?

Solar panels, electrical, storage, etc. all required at a cost of 10s of thousands per...

Money is no object to the idiot left in charge.   There is a never-ending supply of 'other peoples' money' to be squandered.   Remember all those Obamaphones that were handed out to Obama-Holder people, funded by taxpayers?   Yeah.   Those folks will be getting freebies that make those phones seem like chickenfeed by comparison.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2021, 03:41:44 pm »
Money is no object to the idiot left in charge.   

SOSDD.  :shrug:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:50 pm »
I will *never* pay that kind of money for electricity.

You probably won't have to.  California's electric rates are double those in most states.  New England, Hawaii, and Alaska are similar.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2021, 08:48:18 pm »
So DC is gonna burn the presses and print $450B for the cars, again depressing the used car market for the lower income folks by removing them from circulation.

It's no different than FDR destroying food crops during the Great Depression in order to drive up the price of food for people who were unemployed and starving.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2021, 09:05:50 pm »
You probably won't have to.  California's electric rates are double those in most states.  New England, Hawaii, and Alaska are similar.

I won't pay 100/mo, and that'd be double. For 1200/yr, I will make my own or do without.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2021, 09:07:33 pm »

I want to start a reality TV show that 100% focuses on customer reactions when they find out their EV or Hybrid needs a new battery.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2021, 09:12:25 pm »
It's no different than FDR destroying food crops during the Great Depression in order to drive up the price of food for people who were unemployed and starving.

@Hoodat I had no idea that happened. I took a quick look and will read more tomorrow. It's crazy. Thank you for your post.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:47 pm »

@Hoodat I had no idea that happened. I took a quick look and will read more tomorrow. It's crazy. Thank you for your post.

FDR was also the inventor of the U.S 94% income tax bracket too. He was freakin' evil.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 09:17:23 pm »
I want to start a reality TV show that 100% focuses on customer reactions when they find out their EV or Hybrid needs a new battery.

I want one where customers have an 'electricity choice' switch that can only be reset after 4 hrs.  The selections are carbon-based electricity and non-carbon-based electricity with rate indicators displayed for each type.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2021, 09:20:00 pm »

@berdie , take a look at the unemployment rate in 1938 after six years of FDR policies.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-