Author Topic: Online fax services  (Read 2377 times)

Offline thackney

Online fax services
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:30:51 pm »
Do you have an online Fax service you use and are happy with it?

I need to send a fax only a couple times a year.  I have in the past found something free with Ads, but I am having little success now.

And typically, I need to send 10 or more pages, usually legal documents.  Those limited to 3 pages will not meet my needs.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Online fax services
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:48 pm »
Do you have an online Fax service you use and are happy with it?

I need to send a fax only a couple times a year.  I have in the past found something free with Ads, but I am having little success now.

And typically, I need to send 10 or more pages, usually legal documents.  Those limited to 3 pages will not meet my needs.

I believe that Windows 10 has a FAX utility built-in but I have never used it because my multifunction printer includes a fax machine. @thackney
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 03:29:38 pm »
Find it strange you mentioned fax service.  Told my wife yesterday, that this 80's technology might be our last resort to communicate among ourselves, once Big Tech finalizes the purge.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 03:31:18 pm »
Find it strange you mentioned fax service.  Told my wife yesterday, that this 80's technology might be our last resort to communicate among ourselves, once Big Tech finalizes the purge.

I hope not.  Yesterday's searches and frustrations had me wishing for a ham radio.

I have no hard landline.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:32:08 pm by thackney »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 03:32:35 pm »
I believe that Windows 10 has a FAX utility built-in but I have never used it because my multifunction printer includes a fax machine. @thackney

Yes. Part of their inbuilt scanner utility, though a scanner is not necessary for the fax thing to work, providing all your docs are already electronic.

The component is Windows Fax and Scan. [Start=>type 'fax'] You do need a modem however... Some new machines no longer come with inbuilt modem.

@Bigun
@thackney
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:33:48 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:42:27 pm »
I hope not.  Yesterday's searches and frustrations had me wishing for a ham radio.

I have no hard landline.

I used efax way back in the day... Had an account with them and everything, paid the dues and saw no more ads. But that's when I was moving and shaking. And eventually email just became ubiquitous.

https://www.howtogeek.com/218505/how-to-fax-a-document-from-your-smartphone/

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 03:58:07 pm »
And eventually email just became ubiquitous.

A couple times a year I have to do business with people that still live in 1980.  People that refuse to change, like a hospital (current problem).

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 04:02:28 pm »
https://www.howtogeek.com/218505/how-to-fax-a-document-from-your-smartphone/

Occasional User:

If you just want to send a few faxes every now and then, you can also choose eFax, which is well known as the company that basically invented faxing digitally. They have a nice mobile app that lets you both send and receive faxes.

If you just need to send the occasional fax, we also recommend MyFax, which lets you send up to 10 free pages without having to pay. This doesn’t sound like much, but it’s more pages per month than most people have to fax per year. If you do need to send more pages each month, you can upgrade to a regular plan.

Both of these providers are reputable and owned by the same large company that has been doing this for years. It’s not some fly-by-night operation. They might not have all the security features that does, but you don’t need to worry about who has your personal information.

That is no longer an option it appears.  Yesterday I found that one but only found a 14 day trial package.  Their cheapest rate is $10 a month.  I have a hard time paying $120 for one or two faxes per year.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 04:05:40 pm »
My local library has fax service..25cents a page...try calling yours.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 04:07:44 pm »
That is no longer an option it appears.  Yesterday I found that one but only found a 14 day trial package.  Their cheapest rate is $10 a month.  I have a hard time paying $120 for one or two faxes per year.

The easy thing to me, considering your intermittent need, would be to prepare your docs, scan them to PDF, shove em on your laptop, and go find a hard line, using the inbuilt fax and scan app.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 04:11:17 pm »

YES, that ain't bad either... For a while I used my local UPS store for that purpose. You can run a whole office out of that place. My PO box was there, and once you get to know their people, I'd hardly even showed up unless I had to... I would just email whatever and follow it with instructions by phone. It will cost, but the cost is minimal and it is painless.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:14:43 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 04:46:36 pm »
HA!

@thackney
OK, this is fun:
https://www.getfaxing.com/2016/05/02/can-i-use-my-mobile-cell-phone-as-a-fax-modem-to-send-a-fax/?v=7516fd43adaa

...And it works with my droid (Galaxy A50). Shows up on my laptop as a Samsung USB modem...

So, tether the phone to a USB port on your computer and let it shake hands. I did not do anything crazy, just plug it in and the 'what do you want to do' dialog comes up... I selected Open File Manager to view files just to get it out of the way... Closed the resulting file manager window.

Start=>Type 'control'=>Select Control Panel (You're in the old Win7 CP)=>Phone and Modem

When that fires it asks mundane stuff like your area code and whether you need a extra number to dial out... after that is done it will open. Go to the 'modem' tab, and there you might see adriver for a USB modem of your phone's manufacture.

Guess it is hit and miss with off brands so maybe not... But just maybe... And I don't know that it actually works - I have nothing to fax, and no test to make.

But thereyago. sorta

Thanks. this was a goofy thing to find out.  :beer:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:48:15 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 04:49:40 pm »

Office Depot also offers FAX service for a small fee IIRC.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 05:05:50 pm »

I appreciate the idea.  Seems like when I find I need this is after hours.  And the "local" library is an hour drive round trip.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 05:47:19 pm »
HA!

@thackney
OK, this is fun:
https://www.getfaxing.com/2016/05/02/can-i-use-my-mobile-cell-phone-as-a-fax-modem-to-send-a-fax/?v=7516fd43adaa

...And it works with my droid (Galaxy A50). Shows up on my laptop as a Samsung USB modem...

So, tether the phone to a USB port on your computer and let it shake hands. I did not do anything crazy, just plug it in and the 'what do you want to do' dialog comes up... I selected Open File Manager to view files just to get it out of the way... Closed the resulting file manager window.

Start=>Type 'control'=>Select Control Panel (You're in the old Win7 CP)=>Phone and Modem

When that fires it asks mundane stuff like your area code and whether you need a extra number to dial out... after that is done it will open. Go to the 'modem' tab, and there you might see adriver for a USB modem of your phone's manufacture.

Guess it is hit and miss with off brands so maybe not... But just maybe... And I don't know that it actually works - I have nothing to fax, and no test to make.

But thereyago. sorta

Thanks. this was a goofy thing to find out.  :beer:

Hey thank you for that.  I will give that a try.  Then try to remember where I wrote this down when I need it in 6~9 months.

Cheers!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 05:58:42 pm »
You can buy a brother fax machine for like $20 from walmart. I think i'll do that.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 06:07:16 pm »
Hey thank you for that.  I will give that a try.  Then try to remember where I wrote this down when I need it in 6~9 months.

Cheers!

No worries. You'll have to let me know if you get it working.  :seeya:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 06:10:43 pm »

I have no hard landline.

Checked Ebay, and you can still find these for what looks like the $150- $400 range. I know nothing about them, so I don't know whether these are viable or not.    There does seems to be a lot of interest though (bids).

Paging some expertise.   @txradioguy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:12:10 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 06:15:54 pm »
You can buy a brother fax machine for like $20 from walmart. I think i'll do that.

No landline at my home.  My printer works as a fax, but does not link up with a cell phone.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 06:17:42 pm »

I have no hard landline.

Send via SSTV :D.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 06:41:47 pm »
No landline at my home.  My printer works as a fax, but does not link up with a cell phone.

@thackney I just looked in the android app store and found dozens fo fax apps for android phones available.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 06:52:29 pm »
@thackney I just looked in the android app store and found dozens fo fax apps for android phones available.

Thank you.  While sitting at the computer I was not thinking of my phone apps.  But looking through several I am not hopeful.  I don't mind paying a fee while sending a fax, but I'm not willing to pay $10 a month while not using it for half a year.

The free ones with Ads (ads are fine) seem to able limited to very few pages, which is rarely what I need.  Reviews of others seem to talk a lot of excess and unexpected charges.

Have you used any of these?  I was asking if anyone had used something they liked.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 07:28:40 pm »
Thank you.  While sitting at the computer I was not thinking of my phone apps.  But looking through several I am not hopeful.  I don't mind paying a fee while sending a fax, but I'm not willing to pay $10 a month while not using it for half a year.

The free ones with Ads (ads are fine) seem to able limited to very few pages, which is rarely what I need.  Reviews of others seem to talk a lot of excess and unexpected charges.

Have you used any of these?  I was asking if anyone had used something they liked.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.  I have not used any of them as I still have a landline and a FAX machine.   Also, being retired now, I rarely find a need to fax anything to anyone.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:17 pm »
Also, being retired now, I rarely find a need to fax anything to anyone.

I find I rarely need to fax anyone because most the people I deal with live in this century.  Some however are stuck in the past.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 09:28:54 pm »
I find I rarely need to fax anyone because most the people I deal with live in this century.  Some however are stuck in the past.

Like my MUD here.  They claim they can't exist without paper billing.