Author Topic: The experiment: Living a mobile life without Apple or Google (part 1)  (Read 899 times)

Offline thackney

The experiment: Living a mobile life without Apple or Google (part 1)
https://www.kctofel.com/the-experiment-living-a-mobile-life-without-apple-or-google/

...At this point, your mobile device is either going to run software from Apple or from Google. There really isn't much choice. Linux smartphones are in the works but there's a way to go there before they ever become mainstream options.

And from a privacy standpoint, both Apple and Google devices gather your data; the difference is in what they do with it. Apple, for example, doesn't sell your data although iOS apps certainly gather it. And Google? The majority of its revenue is built upon advertising and services that offer value in exchange for your data. At the end of the day, you're still giving your private data to both companies.

So I decided to try a little experiment over the past few weeks that would limit the amount of data I provide to third-parties on my mobile device. I have a Pixel 4, which of course runs Google Android. So I bought a secondary phone, a $399 OnePlus 7T, for the experiment. Since iPhones are locked down quite well, I decided to take an Android approach. For technical reasons, I ended up switching my approach and now use the OnePlus 7T with Google apps and services while experimenting with the Pixel 4, using custom software....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: The experiment: Living a mobile life without Apple or Google (part 1)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:54:33 pm »
Living a mobile life without Apple or Google, part 2: apps and email
https://www.kctofel.com/living-a-mobile-life-without-apple-or-google-part-2-apps-email-cloud-storage/

...To keep my data private, I've installed a few apps directly from developers or from the F-Droid store, all of which are open-source. Here's a sample of some:

Bitwarden password manager

DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser

NewPipe (a lightweight YouTube frontend)

OsmAnd+ Maps & GPS Navigation

Signal Private Messenger...

...However, I recently discovered NextCloud, which is not just a cloud drive replacement but also offers online productivity and other apps.

Rather than choose a NextCloud provider, I decided to go self-hosted and recently installed NextCloud server on a little Raspberry Pi 4. For testing, I have a 64 GB USB stick in the Pi where my NextCloud "cloud" data is stored....

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 07:56:09 pm »
@roamer_1

ping if you would like to give your own opinions or items for evaluation

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 08:19:31 pm »
@roamer_1

ping if you would like to give your own opinions or items for evaluation

@thackney
Yeah - I was already over here reading the article. Here's the thing...

This would be a fun little hack. Maybe I will sacrifice my old J7Skypro and mess around a bit.

The problem I am going to have with it is the portability of the phone. If I am messing with a pooter and throw something together that is promiscuous, I soon find that out - The box is basically sand-boxed behind the router so long as I a paying attention to outgoing packets (which I am).

But that phone is everywhere... It is literally in the wild. That, just in principle, with likely broken updating and unlikely app updating is enough to make me wary. And in the midst of that, services that make the phone useful will also likely be a kludge or may be absent altogether....

For instance, Navigation. It is one of the real, and super critical things that phone does. what nav is available and updated enough to be valid outside of google maps? And to use Google Maps, well now Google is on the phone, ain't it? It is useless without knowing where you are, so poof! Tracking. Too bad, there it is. Replacing that and retaining privacy is likely not going to happen. So either Nav+Google tracking, or no nav at all, rendering something like 30% of the real utility moot.

And without nav and a couple other bits, you may as well just go get a flip phone and haul a lightweight notebook around

See where I am going here?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:20:40 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 08:29:27 pm »
See where I am going here?

Absolutely.

At this point in time I am thinking of a "backup" phone.  Or perhaps one for public and this one for private...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 08:41:29 pm »
Absolutely.

At this point in time I am thinking of a "backup" phone.  Or perhaps one for public and this one for private...

Well that's back to the flip phone... burner phones are a dime a dozen.

Alright, how's this? Phone over wifi... VOIP. Though something like Slack... With a little Razzleberry in the truck stumbling wifi and the phone only tied to the truck router...Then you can do all sorts of stupid pet tricks... Even tunneled to somewhere else...

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 08:44:57 pm »
Well that's back to the flip phone... burner phones are a dime a dozen.

Alright, how's this? Phone over wifi... VOIP. Though something like Slack... With a little Razzleberry in the truck stumbling wifi and the phone only tied to the truck router...Then you can do all sorts of stupid pet tricks... Even tunneled to somewhere else...

I was thinking access to apps that may be locked out, rather than just phone.

And simple tech for the common man...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:46:41 pm by thackney »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 08:59:25 pm »
I was thinking access to apps that may be locked out, rather than just phone.

yeah... Would not take much for Google to have apps require checking 'authentic Google'... That's the thing. The OS is king. Until there is a valid linux with real support it is always going to be fish in a barrel, with the only choice being the Google barrel or the Apple barrel...
... And who is to say that any/all them apps ain't telling on you too?

I ain't laughing at it - I ain't cussing it. I will probably start hacking droid just to see... But I am saying it will likely wind up a clusterf.... and I would still give it a whirl knowing that.

But really, there is a reason why criminals do everything that matters by eyeball with the cell phones left home. No electronics... If there was a way around, they would have it by now...  And they don't.   :shrug:

As it is, I tend to follow that prescription. Though I have a Faraday wallet for when I want to disappear. Best of both worlds there.

It is a serious business that has been coming on for years. In the end I don't think you can buck it... other than to leave it alone.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:01:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 10:08:48 pm »
I've never owned a smartphone, and likely never will own one.
I do have a "flip phone" for emergencies, but it's always turned off.

I have a tablet, but it, too, is never "online". It's used to run the little railroad in the basement, via a "closed wifi connection" to the controller box.

Only "online presence" I have is through my Macs.
And even with those, I use no "social media" at all, with the exception of a few message boards.
The Briefing Room is the only "political" one I have a presence on...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 11:57:09 pm »
IMHO this would be a perfect time for BlackBerry to reintroduce their BB10 OS to the world as the anti Google and anti Apple alternative.

They were always much more secure and the call quality was better through their in house software.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!