Author Topic: The ‘Virtue’ of the New Totalitarians  (Read 135 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The ‘Virtue’ of the New Totalitarians
« on: January 10, 2021, 05:14:42 pm »
The ‘Virtue’ of the New Totalitarians

Later ages are always surprised by the casual brutality of totalitarian regimes. What they neglect is the unshakeable (though misguided) conviction of virtue that animates the totalitarians.

By Roger Kimball
January 9, 2021

What was the most disturbing thing to happen in the last few days?

Some say it was the horrifying spectacle of the mob besieging and breaking into the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday.

That was indeed disturbing, especially the pageant of wonton assaults on property in the seat of our government and, most of all, the images of Ashli Babbitt, the young woman who was shot and killed, apparently by law enforcement.

There is much we do not know about what happened that afternoon. But I think Tucker Carlson was right about two essential things.

One, that President Trump bears some responsibility for what happened. He “recklessly encouraged,” as Carlson put it, his distraught supporters. I should note, by the way, that I believe that the president’s supporters are right to be distraught—and not just because their guy lost. That’s the nature of elections. One candidate wins, the other loses. So long as the election is fair, and is seen to be fair, all is well. The loser, and the loser’s supporters, may mutter, but they accept the result and go home.

But in the 2020 election there were huge and, in my view, determinative irregularities. Had the votes been fairly counted, I believe, Trump would have won. But they weren’t.

Hence the anger among his supporters. The president should have appreciated their anger and acted accordingly. He ought also to have appreciated that by January 6, the game was over. There was nothing Vice President Mike Pence could have done that would have changed the outcome of the election. When Trump concluded his remarks to the crowd by encouraging them to “walk down Pennsylvania Avenue” and go “to the Capitol,” he was playing with fire. He ought to have discerned as much.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2021/01/09/the-virtue-of-the-new-totalitarians/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Re: The ‘Virtue’ of the New Totalitarians
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:22:13 am »
Would the lib tech giants like to shut down all conservative speech? Yes.
Will they be able to shut down all conservative speech? No.
Conservatives managed to communicate effectively in the days before the internet and conservative talk radio, and they can do it now.
Get enough people to set a rival platform, and go for it.
I never get on Fakebook or Twister, so it doesn't mean diddly squat to me.
But the means are available.

Offline dfwgator

Re: The ‘Virtue’ of the New Totalitarians
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:37:41 am »
Funny how all the people cheering this virtual crackdown were diehard supporters of Net Neutrality.