Author Topic: Mozilla chairwoman calls for more ad spending transparency after a four-year disinformation campaign  (Read 303 times)

Offline Avalon1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mozilla-chairwoman-calls-investigation-pro-134715903.html

Kevin Shalvey - Yahoo News

Mitchell Baker, chairwoman of Mozilla, called on Friday for more transparency into targeted advertising, including ads targeting followers of President Donald Trump. Social media helped fuel the chaos in Washington DC on Wednesday. Now, it's important to know who has been paying for targeted ads, how much they've paid, and who they've targeted. That information should be made public, Baker said on the official blog for the Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation. "Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way, and he won't be the last," Baker wrote on Friday. After the riots, social media companies acted to remove incendiary accounts, including Trump's. Her call for more action echoed others in the tech sector, who said social networks hadn't done enough to curb misinformation and organizing in the months before Wednesday's attack. In the future, Twitter and Facebook should be more open about their algorithms, "so we know how and what content is being amplified, to whom, and the associated impact," Baker added. She urged Facebook to automatically turn on a feature that would amplify factual voices instead of misinformation.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:09:46 am by Avalon1 »

Offline Avalon1

I'm going to be reconsidering my choice of internet browser.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Mozilla chairwoman calls for more ad spending transparency after 'a four-year disinformation campaign'

Business Insider by  Kevin Shalvey 1/9/2021

https://www.businessinsider.com/mozilla-chair-inquiry-pro-trump-social-media-ads-2021-1

•  Mitchell Baker, chairwoman of Mozilla, called for more transparency into targeted advertising, including ads targeting followers of President Donald Trump. 

•  "Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way, and he won't be the last," Baker wrote on Mozilla's blog. 

•  Her call for more transparency echoed others in the tech sector, who said social networks hadn't done enough to curb misinformation and organizing.

Mitchell Baker, chairwoman of Mozilla, called on Friday for more transparency into targeted advertising, including ads targeting followers of President Donald Trump.

Social media helped fuel the chaos in Washington DC on Wednesday. Now, it's important to know who has been paying for targeted ads, how much they've paid, and who they've targeted.

That information should be made public, Baker said on the official blog for the Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation.

"Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way, and he won't be the last," Baker wrote on Friday.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:35:53 am by Elderberry »

Offline PeteS in CA

I bailed on Mozilla - Firefox and Waterfox - years ago, after they rode their CEO out on a rail for not supporting same-sex marriage. Vivaldi and Dark Moon work pretty well.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Avalon1

I bailed on Mozilla - Firefox and Waterfox - years ago, after they rode their CEO out on a rail for not supporting same-sex marriage. Vivaldi and Dark Moon work pretty well.

I don't think I've heard of those, I'll check it out.