Author Topic: Is It Time To Return To The Old School?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Is It Time To Return To The Old School?
« on: January 09, 2021, 04:58:21 am »
So if what's happening on social media is a good indicator or barometer of what the left has in store for us the next four years, the Second Amendment is as much in danger right now as a COnservative's Twitter Account.

That being said, and applying the belief that "everything old is new again", is it time that we as Second Amendment defenders, start stocking our gun safes and range bags with weapons that would fly under the radar of the left and the gun grabbers like Harris, O'Rourke and Bloomberg?

While the anti 2nd Amendment types are banning and confiscating, Glock 19's, Sig P320's and our various tricked out AR-15's should we have on hand lever action rifles and 5-8 round revolvers in calibers from .38 up to .44 mag?

The idea of doing this is to survive and uphold the 2A as long as possible before the left (God forbid) abolishes our RKBA completely.

Thoughts?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

Re: Is It Time To Return To The Old School?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 06:04:49 am »
While the anti 2nd Amendment types are banning and confiscating, Glock 19's, Sig P320's and our various tricked out AR-15's should we have on hand lever action rifles and 5-8 round revolvers in calibers from .38 up to .44 mag?

That's almost all I got anyhow. Only semiautos I own are a couple 1911's and an old remington .22 rifle (my first, given to me by my Dad). ALL mine are bolt or lever and wheel guns. More important would be duplication and distribution of firearms and ammo.

I only really carry three calibers, maybe four... A shotgun, a pistol, a brush gun, and a distance gun... But those guns are replicated and cached in several places, with a butt ton of ammo too. I probably have more guns than most of you... But they are all the same thing. Same goes for optics and break-down bows, and food, and everything.

The only time it really sucks is when I change direction. When I switched away from .30/30 to 45/70 I played hell. moving all my 30/30s and all their ammo in a dump was hard to do... Not to mention that most of em were disassembled and bagged in diesel. It was a chore. But I had to to be able to afford to buy all the 45/70s. still wound up short, and had to buy all the ammo outright out of pocket.

And the same thing happened again when I converted to .45 from .357mag, dang near made the same mistake moving to 44mag, but stopped early on and went to .45ACP which was also a mistake. Going back to colt single action .45, which is still in all my caches, except what's to hand.

For a while there I was kicking myself for doing all that duplication... But it turns out to be wise. I cannot be disarmed. Let em come for my guns. I'll just go dig up more.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 06:59:43 am »
@roamer_1 the missus and I have been talking about what will be our "sacrifice guns" that we let the Feds confiscate versus our SHTF guns that we keep from them as long as possible.

Mrs. TRG has two revolvers she can hang onto and sacrifice her Sig .380...though we've both talked about buying a couple of HiPoints to sacrifice to the Feds in order to keep our SHTF firearms.

Right now we've got the basics...(.38 .357 30-30 and 12ga) along with a 1911 and a couple of 9mm's.

When the Feds constrict we'll consolidate more.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 07:43:16 am »
@roamer_1 the missus and I have been talking about what will be our "sacrifice guns" that we let the Feds confiscate versus our SHTF guns that we keep from them as long as possible.

Mrs. TRG has two revolvers she can hang onto and sacrifice her Sig .380...though we've both talked about buying a couple of HiPoints to sacrifice to the Feds in order to keep our SHTF firearms.

Right now we've got the basics...(.38 .357 30-30 and 12ga) along with a 1911 and a couple of 9mm's.

When the Feds constrict we'll consolidate more.

it may be different for you @txradioguy ... I don't remember where you finally lit, but I am made for getting out to the sticks. That's kinda how my thing started. It ain't for prepping or for a military mind. I just needed to be alright if I lost my kit in the woods. So in several places I built caches, knowing that if I were to find trouble out in the woods I could get to those caches way easier than getting all the way down to where help might be... From anywhere I tend to go in deep woods, I have a cache within a 2 day hard march.

That cache has guns, ammo, food, a complete replacement of my go-bag and belt, a complete replacement of my winter gear, breakdown bow, arrows, traps and snares, tarps and a half decent winter hammock setup- hammocks being the easiest thing in a deep winter trouble scenario (I am normally a ground dweller). All the steel is broke down and packed in kerosene or diesel because I can burn it and use it for light, and it will keep that steel perfectly dang near forever.

Anyhow, it's just a natural extension of being in the woods to have caches. And because of the caches, it's fairly natural for me to fade back into them woods. I don't know if you are in a similar condition.

If I were stuck in town I would still divvy it up and maybe do a shell game with friends. They can't hit you all at once. Still, I think a narrow commitment to caliber is wise as hell... less kinds means more ammo for each, given a set or similar investment restriction.

And don't forget parts. I have all the likely parts I need for all the guns I have, and all that duplicated.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 07:54:21 am »
@roamer_1 @txradioguy

Either of you happen to have a good article on how to bury a gun in the woods for extended time (couple of years if need be).... Brother and I were talking about it, and he brought up a good point, it needed to be buried (in PVC packed grease) vertical (pointing up thus to produce a smaller metal detector range).

Maybe one of yall have a good SHTF article on such. 
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 08:10:30 am »
@roamer_1 @txradioguy

Either of you happen to have a good article on how to bury a gun in the woods for extended time (couple of years if need be).... Brother and I were talking about it, and he brought up a good point, it needed to be buried (in PVC packed grease) vertical (pointing up thus to produce a smaller metal detector range).

Maybe one of yall have a good SHTF article on such.

@Sighlass
Nope. Mine are all in 6" well casing, all welded except the cap, with the cap modded to have a small drain (1/2" pipe, plugged) The cap itself is just plate steel cut to fit and fixed with a leather gasket and 4 bolts tying it to the outside of the casing. The whole works is doused with foundation tar... And YES, there is a 3/8" wrench tacked to the outside of the casing.

So the guns are disassembled with only the steel parts in the pipe, along with knives and other such... the rest, to include stocks and scales, is in a wooden ammo box that the pipe is also in, along with all the rest of the supplies. And the pipe is full of diesel or kerosene.

But you have to remember - I can't bury nothing. If I need it in the winter, that's at least 4 feet of snow and the frost is rock hard at least 3 ft into the ground. So all of mine are above ground, usually in a small cave high on a rock wall... I just make the mouth of the cave go away with a little artful rock placement. And nobody has ever bothered any of them. So I am fighting rodents more than anything.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:15:48 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 01:45:30 pm »
@Sighlass
Nope. Mine are all in 6" well casing, all welded except the cap, with the cap modded to have a small drain (1/2" pipe, plugged) The cap itself is just plate steel cut to fit and fixed with a leather gasket and 4 bolts tying it to the outside of the casing. The whole works is doused with foundation tar... And YES, there is a 3/8" wrench tacked to the outside of the casing.

So the guns are disassembled with only the steel parts in the pipe, along with knives and other such... the rest, to include stocks and scales, is in a wooden ammo box that the pipe is also in, along with all the rest of the supplies. And the pipe is full of diesel or kerosene.

But you have to remember - I can't bury nothing. If I need it in the winter, that's at least 4 feet of snow and the frost is rock hard at least 3 ft into the ground. So all of mine are above ground, usually in a small cave high on a rock wall... I just make the mouth of the cave go away with a little artful rock placement. And nobody has ever bothered any of them. So I am fighting rodents more than anything.

Lol, my luck would be forgetting exactly where I left such.... Never thought about the frozen you have to deal with up there.

I found a nice old FR article on the subject I was looking for finally...

Repost: (+) THE ART OF THE (WEAPONS) CACHE (+)
https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1735279/posts

@roamer_1 @txradioguy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:14:43 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 03:06:08 pm »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 03:11:42 pm »
What guns?  I don't have any guns!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 03:13:48 pm »
For those who don't know, gun shops are required to keep their 4473s for a period of 20 years. Anything you've had longer than that are candidates for the cache.

Unless you are unlucky enough to have bought a firearm from a shop that has gone out of business before the 20 year clock has run out. In which case the ATF already knows what you have.

Incidentally I have no guns.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 07:09:49 pm »
Lol, my luck would be forgetting exactly where I left such.... Never thought about the frozen you have to deal with up there.

@Sighlass
Funny about losing it... We figure different up here in the mountains. Hardly never by azimuth and direction... Everything is by landmark with guard rails and backstops. You literally cannot 'head due west' here... At least not for very long. So my brain runs on landmarks. Etched hard in my mind. And I could tell any ol hillbilly how to get to those caches, because they are wired that way too... I have said before that I would be totally lost in minutes out on the plains or in hardwood forest.  I need them landmarks. That's why they are so etched in my head, every one of them. I could no more forget them than where I put my toes.

But yeah. Cold is a thing here. And if I were in trouble, that cave is probably the handiest thing there anyway... Caves are great in the winter, once the bugs wake up, crawl out and die from the smoke, and stop raining from the ceiling. I have been laid up twice in caves, once actually in one of my cache caves, and believe me, it was welcome.

Some folks will build a log pillbox on the ground and camo it - I have run into the like a few times. And one of mine is in a buddy's cabin crawlspace... That one will be moving though, as that's the guy next to me up in the holler. So it will go deeper in the woods off the back of the property about a hard day off - in case I ever have to drop everything and skedaddle.

I found a nice old FR article on the subject I was looking for finally...

Repost: (+) THE ART OF THE (WEAPONS) CACHE (+)
https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1735279/posts

That's alright, but I think it needs more cowbell. It ain't really going to be about the guns, even if it is war. Guns don't do shit to fill your belly. Especially if you need to be quiet.

Mine really ain't about the guns all that much. I mean, they're handy and all, but the most important things in there are the replacement gobag and belt and the winter gear... With the food next, and then somewhere after that the guns. It is designed for me draggin my sorry ass in and having enough to save me. So I am probably not telling you what you need.

And remember, all that was set up long ago, when you could find a chunk of casing in somebody's number one pile and walk off with it near for free. Steel was CHEAP. There may be other ways, and I am sure there are. But the kerosene is needful too - so why not use it? And the only way to do that is in steel... Kerosene is kind to steel, but will likely eat plastic given enough time. So that was my thinking.

As for the soft goods, all that is in wooden ammo-style boxes I made myself - All sealed and gasketed on the lid, and painted with foundation tar too. Critters don't like the tar, so they leave all that alone.

One thing I might mention in soft goods - Don't use down. Down will die in a short time left all balled up tight in storage. A lot of folks don't understand that down needs to be unpacked as soon as you are done with it and stored loose.

And good tarps - Learn tarps. you can do so dang much more with tarps than you can with a tent. And you can easy make a tent with tarps. Add cheap bug netting down by you. And always, always wool army blankets. I hate the dang things for actual blanket because they ain't really all wool... but they are cheap and you can cut em up for gaiters, or a warm poncho, or stitch up some socks. I swear by having them around for the cloth. Folks don;t think much about how important cloth can be, and how hard it is to get  from the woods.

Wrap ammo in wax paper, or better yet nowadays, in a zippy bag or vac seal it.

All my food is Mountain House. 9/10ths of my long term 25 year storage is up in them caches. If I ever have to beat feet I could probably live on mountain house for years. All that is in 5gal buckets -I tend to buy MH when there are screaming deals, and I buy em by the bucket. Then I combine em, packed in, so them buckets are chunked full. And it wasn't so bad - I visited my caches once a year for maintenance purposes, and I always hauled in a bucket of MH to each cache every year. Don't sound like much, till 5 years go by...

All of that stuff came up on a polk in the winter, or came up in 2 five gallon buckets tied to a pack frame, which is kinda my trapping rig anyhow.  A little at a time, and next thing you know, you have a good bit stashed away. Now if SHTF, I am sitting pretty.

But you would have to think hard about what. It is more than guns, I guarantee.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 07:20:30 pm »
For those who don't know, gun shops are required to keep their 4473s for a period of 20 years. Anything you've had longer than that are candidates for the cache.

Unless you are unlucky enough to have bought a firearm from a shop that has gone out of business before the 20 year clock has run out. In which case the ATF already knows what you have.

Only two of my guns came from a gun shop. All the rest came off the back of a truck for cash. I don't know the seller and he don't know me. Try tracking that.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 07:54:47 pm »
All good information -- should I ever decide to actually get a gun and some ammo. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 09:09:18 pm »
@Sighlass
Funny about losing it... We figure different up here in the mountains. Hardly never by azimuth and direction... Everything is by landmark with guard rails and backstops. You literally cannot 'head due west' here... At least not for very long. So my brain runs on landmarks. Etched hard in my mind. And I could tell any ol hillbilly how to get to those caches, because they are wired that way too... I have said before that I would be totally lost in minutes out on the plains or in hardwood forest.  I need them landmarks. That's why they are so etched in my head, every one of them. I could no more forget them than where I put my toes.

But yeah. Cold is a thing here. And if I were in trouble, that cave is probably the handiest thing there anyway... Caves are great in the winter, once the bugs wake up, crawl out and die from the smoke, and stop raining from the ceiling. I have been laid up twice in caves, once actually in one of my cache caves, and believe me, it was welcome.

Some folks will build a log pillbox on the ground and camo it - I have run into the like a few times. And one of mine is in a buddy's cabin crawlspace... That one will be moving though, as that's the guy next to me up in the holler. So it will go deeper in the woods off the back of the property about a hard day off - in case I ever have to drop everything and skedaddle.

That's alright, but I think it needs more cowbell. It ain't really going to be about the guns, even if it is war. Guns don't do shit to fill your belly. Especially if you need to be quiet.

Mine really ain't about the guns all that much. I mean, they're handy and all, but the most important things in there are the replacement gobag and belt and the winter gear... With the food next, and then somewhere after that the guns. It is designed for me draggin my sorry ass in and having enough to save me. So I am probably not telling you what you need.

And remember, all that was set up long ago, when you could find a chunk of casing in somebody's number one pile and walk off with it near for free. Steel was CHEAP. There may be other ways, and I am sure there are. But the kerosene is needful too - so why not use it? And the only way to do that is in steel... Kerosene is kind to steel, but will likely eat plastic given enough time. So that was my thinking.

As for the soft goods, all that is in wooden ammo-style boxes I made myself - All sealed and gasketed on the lid, and painted with foundation tar too. Critters don't like the tar, so they leave all that alone.

One thing I might mention in soft goods - Don't use down. Down will die in a short time left all balled up tight in storage. A lot of folks don't understand that down needs to be unpacked as soon as you are done with it and stored loose.

And good tarps - Learn tarps. you can do so dang much more with tarps than you can with a tent. And you can easy make a tent with tarps. Add cheap bug netting down by you. And always, always wool army blankets. I hate the dang things for actual blanket because they ain't really all wool... but they are cheap and you can cut em up for gaiters, or a warm poncho, or stitch up some socks. I swear by having them around for the cloth. Folks don;t think much about how important cloth can be, and how hard it is to get  from the woods.

Wrap ammo in wax paper, or better yet nowadays, in a zippy bag or vac seal it.

All my food is Mountain House. 9/10ths of my long term 25 year storage is up in them caches. If I ever have to beat feet I could probably live on mountain house for years. All that is in 5gal buckets -I tend to buy MH when there are screaming deals, and I buy em by the bucket. Then I combine em, packed in, so them buckets are chunked full. And it wasn't so bad - I visited my caches once a year for maintenance purposes, and I always hauled in a bucket of MH to each cache every year. Don't sound like much, till 5 years go by...

All of that stuff came up on a polk in the winter, or came up in 2 five gallon buckets tied to a pack frame, which is kinda my trapping rig anyhow.  A little at a time, and next thing you know, you have a good bit stashed away. Now if SHTF, I am sitting pretty.

But you would have to think hard about what. It is more than guns, I guarantee.

Lots of good info here @roamer_1 .... hate to follow that with a short reply, but me butt is dragging (stayed up too long) .... I need to reread it while the brain is fresh cause I want to retain some of this (hopefully most of it).

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 09:20:44 pm »
I have a sharp knife.

I have a dull knife.

Sharp for the people I like.

Dull for those I don't like.

That is all I know.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 09:34:11 pm »
Lots of good info here @roamer_1 .... hate to follow that with a short reply, but me butt is dragging (stayed up too long) .... I need to reread it while the brain is fresh cause I want to retain some of this (hopefully most of it).

Sorry... I do tend to go on...  :beer: :seeya:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 09:35:21 pm »
If anyone has a favored revolver in 22LR, I would be obliged for a recommendation.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 10:19:00 pm »
If anyone has a favored revolver in 22LR, I would be obliged for a recommendation.

I truly love my Ruger Single Six

Offline yodaspock

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 11:35:35 pm »
I love revolvers, but 38special/357 is almost the same cost to shoot as a 22lr. And their are many great old S&W and Colt revolvers. If you reload the 38 specials.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 12:35:39 am »
I love revolvers, but 38special/357 is almost the same cost to shoot as a 22lr. And their are many great old S&W and Colt revolvers. If you reload the 38 specials.

The whole time I was stationed in Pensacola I tried to go shooting my 38 every week at one of the many sand pits. I was casting my own bullets and after shooting I would recover lead that the rain would bring up to the surface. My major expense was primers I was buying by the 1,000s. I was definitely reloading for cheaper than I could buy 22 shells and this was back in the 70s.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 03:03:49 am »
I truly love my Ruger Single Six

Believe it or not, that's where I was going  :beer:
Gonna figure .22 into my system I think. I've been fixin to for a while now. It would be a good thing to have a dispatch gun for trapping and a .22 long rifle with a stinger in it will knock down a muley... or knock a grouse in the eye, or bark a squirrel... I know, I have seen me do it. And it ain't exactly quiet, but it ain't got the bark of a 45/70. Seems that might be handy.

The thing is, griz, wolves, and moose. I ain't too sure about carrying two - because that .45 is gonna be on me at all times. And I don't get too far from that 45/70 either. So I dunno how that is going to work out. But I am fixin to give it a whirl. :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 03:05:48 am »

I still have one 357mag. It lives in my truck.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 05:13:03 am »

Ah, so sad 8888crybaby last gun I bought was 24 years ago. I do have a AR lower and parts kit set aside, never had loose cash to buy the rest but this puppy is pre ban CA and my understanding was that bare lowers were recorded as pistols so not only past the twenty year mark but invisible to CA to boot. Oops, until I wrote this.