Author Topic: BREAKING: Apple is currently threatening to ban Parler -- the free speech alternative to Twitter  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
... as is currently proving out. Youtube really had no peer a year or two ago... Now bitchute and rumble are coming on... And I will lay you bets that Twitter goes down by 30% or more over this, and gives Parler a kick right into the big leagues.... And I hope MeWe myspaces Farcebook. It was all unthinkable just a little while ago...

I expect Twitter to either go under or (more likely) be bought out by a larger company within the next year. They were failing before Trump made them relevant. Now that they have banned Trump, they have lost their relevance and will go back to being a failing company.
Let it burn.

BassWrangler

I expect Twitter to either go under or (more likely) be bought out by a larger company within the next year. They were failing before Trump made them relevant. Now that they have banned Trump, they have lost their relevance and will go back to being a failing company.

I hope so. I'd love to see something take the smug smile off that a-hole Jack's face.

BTW, Parler seems to have fixed most of the annoying usability issues with their App, and so far today their service seems to be handling the load.

Offline The_Reader_David

It was the superior OS and phone before they went to the Android OS.

Make Parler, MeWe and Proton Mail built in default social media and email apps, along with the best text messaging platform ever...BB Messenger.

We really need the old BlackBerry more than ever to level the playing field with Android and iPhone. Wish they would just start simple again with BB10. I could care less about the apps. Just give us a secure phone with secure email running BB10.

I know something about the demise of BlackBerry from an odd source:  my closest colleague did a stint at the Perimeter Institute, a sort of physics think-tank in Canada funded largely by the CEO of BlackBerry.  It turns out the CEO is a bit of a nutter, who thought that the theoretical physicists he was funding would give his company things like room-temperature quantum computing, and sunk too much of the company's money into projects which were simply hopeless.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online roamer_1

Well, yeah... Pissin off nearly half your subscribers will do that to you - Get woke go broke all over again again.  :laugh:

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I hope so. I'd love to see something take the smug smile off that a-hole Jack's face.

BTW, Parler seems to have fixed most of the annoying usability issues with their App, and so far today their service seems to be handling the load.

Well... from what I've heard, Jack wants Trump there, his employees don't. Because Jack actually does believe in free speech. Which is why Twitter sometimes bans him, sometimes doesn't.

Online DB

Well no, just another devil like the one you already know. Edge is Chrome under the hood, and MS is tracking you like crazy, just like Google does. There ain't nothing for it though. Pick your poison.

I have elected a distributed method. I use edge for anything MS related - Technet and such where I use my MS handle and email... I use Chrome for anything Google related - My PIM and all that are on Google because I too have a droid... Particularly YouTube, Messages for the Web, and other Google products... And I use my Google handle and email there. But my main thing, what I surf with and do about everything with is Firefox with anonymous throw-away handles and email. So I seem to be a good little peasant for Google and Microsoft... Let em track me as they can... But I am really doing the real thing in Firefox.

And the really real thing from a Linux war drive with a mac addy spoofer from a stumbled connection  :police:

You are savvy enough you ought to have a linux laptop with no reference to you at all in it, that you never use from home... That particular machine, and the alias built up there for years might be something handy pretty soon.

Being in the business, mine cost me nearly nothing... And I find it to be handy on occasion even now.  :whistle:

Regarding Mozilla...

https://www.infowars.com/posts/mozilla-says-deplatforming-trump-not-enough-wants-to-shield-internet-from-bad-actors-as-users-uninstall-firefox-in-disgust/

I figure they all track. The question is what do they do with it. So far I've seen little obvious abuse with Edge. I know Google collects it for nefarious uses.

Regarding Linux we use it as the OS for our products, but I myself only use it lightly...

The vast majority of my computer use is directly work related - I don't have time to do much else these days. If things continue to go more sideways politically I suppose I'll have to consider Linux and some other connection to the Internet... I will say with IP6 your computer's MAC address is typically part of the IP address making it unique planet wide. No NAT with IP6. Yes you can spoof your MAC but that's only for the knowledgeable. And the security of proxies is highly debatable.

BassWrangler

Well... from what I've heard, Jack wants Trump there, his employees don't. Because Jack actually does believe in free speech. Which is why Twitter sometimes bans him, sometimes doesn't.

If you go back and look at Timcast IRL podcast on YouTube, there is an episode with Jack and some Indian woman who is in charge of the group within Twitter that is in charge of these decisions. That Indian woman is the real source of the ban, IMHO.

In fact, I would say this is a general problem with US tech companies. We've imported all these H1-B visa and green card holders from countries with very different cultures from ours. They get in positions of power and make unamerican decisions because they aren't American.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Regarding Mozilla...

https://www.infowars.com/posts/mozilla-says-deplatforming-trump-not-enough-wants-to-shield-internet-from-bad-actors-as-users-uninstall-firefox-in-disgust/

I figure they all track. The question is what do they do with it. So far I've seen little obvious abuse with Edge. I know Google collects it for nefarious uses.

Regarding Linux we use it as the OS for our products, but I myself only use it lightly...

The vast majority of my computer use is directly work related - I don't have time to do much else these days. If things continue to go more sideways politically I suppose I'll have to consider Linux and some other connection to the Internet... I will say with IP6 your computer's MAC address is typically part of the IP address making it unique planet wide. No NAT with IP6. Yes you can spoof your MAC but that's only for the knowledgeable. And the security of proxies is highly debatable.
Re: Mozilla

I usually split between two browsers: SeaMonkey and Vivaldi.

SeaMonkey is essentially a rebranded Netscape, maintained by volunteers years after Mozilla largely abandoned the project in favor of Firefox. It has more features (a built in WYSIWYG editor for HTML and e-mail client) but is slo-o-ow.

Vivaldi is what I use for anything that needs a Chrome-based engine. It's based out of Europe and run by the guys who used to run Opera before they sold that browser off to the Red Chinese (bah). (BTW, Opera was nice until they dumped their own in-house engine.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

This is the result of not teaching history in schools. Had these technerds ever been taught actual world history, they'd see why emulating the Gestapo or the Stasi isn't a good thing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

BassWrangler

This is the result of not teaching history in schools. Had these technerds ever been taught actual world history, they'd see why emulating the Gestapo or the Stasi isn't a good thing.

Most of them are not even Americans.

Online roamer_1

Regarding Mozilla...

Of them all, so far Moz is the only one not tracking to my knowledge. If they start farting around I will hit 'oh hell no' like I have with the other two and start looking for another browser. I don't think they can afford to get into politics... They'll piss off half their users either way they go.

I am pretty fond of Mint anymore. It installs flawlessly on dang near anything modern. And yes, I know ip6 is a globally unique ID... Which is why I will stay in IP4 while I can. Worst case, my buddy in a slav nation runs an international onion... And I know Israelis too... There is always a way. And I will continue to skitter my fingers across the belly of the internet for exactly that reason. Like I do with everything. It's kinda my way. It's that redneck v. revenuer thing. :)

Online roamer_1

If you go back and look at Timcast IRL podcast on YouTube, there is an episode with Jack and some Indian woman who is in charge of the group within Twitter that is in charge of these decisions. That Indian woman is the real source of the ban, IMHO.

I think that was on Rogan, but yeah, Tim Pool was there and rippin em a new one.

Offline Avalon1

Regarding Mozilla...

Thanks for that. I might have to reconsider my choice of internet browser.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

And... AWS has apparently done it. I can't find a way to link to the individual message, but you can see the Founder/CEO of Parler discussing it here:

https://parler.com/profile/John/posts
Let it burn.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@mystery-ak Are you prepared for an influx of new members?

BassWrangler

And... AWS has apparently done it. I can't find a way to link to the individual message, but you can see the Founder/CEO of Parler discussing it here:

https://parler.com/profile/John/posts

yep. Breitbart has a story about it here:

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/01/09/amazon-boots-parler-off-web-hosting-service/

Offline cato potatoe

It's the same poisonous environment it always was.  Only now it is censoring information rather than moderating personal attacks.  Most people are going to have a problem with their colluding with tech giants to stifle Parler.  There will be hell to pay --- the momentum is too great at this point.   

Offline Hoodat

Remember when this used to be considered 'liberal'?

"I may disagree with what you say, but will fight to the death for your right to say it."
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Email received this morning:
Gab’s Statement on Apple and Google’s Tyranny
🐸Gab News    
9:31 AM (7 minutes ago)

If your business is built on the backs of Silicon Valley tyrants (Apple, Google, et al) they can and will attempt to destroy you if and when you become a threat to their interests.

They did this to Gab. Then Fortnite. Now Parler.

Terrible content of all kinds is available on Twitter and Facebook.

Everyone on the planet knows this fact.

Yet both companies are on both App Stores.

Apple banning Parler is not the neutral implementation of some objective standard, but rather a cynical, politically motivated gesture and evidence of Silicon Valley elites’ disdain for ordinary Americans.

The solution, as always, is not government.

It is to build your own.

People mock this meme, but Gab lives it.

While others whine, we build.

Meet the Gab Phone.

Yes, it’s real.

The Big Tech data mining silo must come down.

We will no longer be serfs on your digital plantation.

You will no longer control our digital destiny.

You can’t stop the signal.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

Big Brother has finally arrived.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Amazon Boots Parler Off Web Hosting Service

Alana Mastrangelo9 Jan 202144,561
3:44

Amazon is booting social media platform Parler off its web hosting service Amazon Web Services (AWS), which will knock the platform offline on Sunday until it can find a new host.

Amazon says that c0ntent on the social media site violates its terms of service, adding that it does not believe Parler has a good strategy for cracking down on speech on its platform, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News.

“Recently, we’ve seen a steady increase in this violent content on your website, all of which violates our terms,” said Amazon in its email to Parler. “It’s clear that Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service.”

“It also seems that Parler is still trying to determine its position on content moderation,” the email added. “You remove some violent content when contacted by us or others, but not always with urgency.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/01/09/amazon-boots-parler-off-web-hosting-service/#
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Big Brother has finally arrived.

Big Brother has been here for a while.  He is finally beginning to getting recognized by the public.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Big Brother has been here for a while.  He is finally beginning to getting recognized by the public.

George Orwell and Ayn Rand had the future pegged perfectly. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

George Orwell and Ayn Rand had the future pegged perfectly.

They were not intended to be instruction manuals.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer