Author Topic: House Majority Leader Hoyer says he doesn't accept the 'premise' that Antifa is violent  (Read 361 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

House Majority Leader Hoyer says he doesn't accept the 'premise' that Antifa is violent

"I don't know that to be the case," Hoyer said in response to GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert referring to Antifa and BLM as "violent."

By Nicholas Ballasy

Updated: January 5, 2021 - 12:57pm

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer on Tuesday slammed Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert's recent statement critical of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, also saying he doesn't "accept" the premise those groups are violent.

Hoyer, a Maryland Democrat, said Gohmert "seemed to be encouraging people to come to Washington and take up violence, if that were called for, in order to express their belief that this was not an honest, fair election."

Referencing a judge's decision to deny Vice President Mike Pence the ability to overturn election results, Gohmert said, "If bottom line is, the court is saying, 'We're not going to touch this. You have no remedy.' Basically, in effect, the ruling would be that you've got to go the streets and be as violent as Antifa and BLM."

Gohmert walked back the comments over the weekend.

"I have not encouraged and unequivocally do not advocate for violence," Gohmert said. "I have long advocated for following the teachings and example of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. of peaceful protest. That does not keep me from recognizing what lies ahead when institutions created by a self-governing people to peacefully resolve their disputes hide from their responsibility. Violence is not the answer. The appropriate answer is courts and self-governing bodies resolving disputes as intended."

Hoyer repeated Gohmert's initial statement about Antifa and BLM on a press call Tuesday with reporters and said his remarks are "worthy of sanction" by the Congress.

"I do not accept that premise on Antifa and BLM, and I don't know that to be the case. But whether it's the case or not; that a member of Congress would suggest that people ought to go to the streets and be as violent as some other group is absolutely astounding, extraordinarily disappointing and worthy of sanction by the Congress of the United States," Hoyer said.

https://justthenews.com/government/congress/house-majority-leader-says-he-doesnt-accept-premise-antifa-violent
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I don't accept the premise that Steny is not a dumbass
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Why would he speak ill of his street foot soldiers?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It is a rejection, a refutation of basic reality.
You need to understand how Liberals think.
They are like little children, who believe in fairy tales.
Liberals think/believe that whatever they say is real reality.
"If I wish really, really, really hard, then my penis can become a woman.
They really believe this crap.
It is not so much what is real that is real, it is more what you want to be real that is real.
Liberals are little children. They never matured.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

It is a rejection, a refutation of basic reality.
You need to understand how Liberals think.
They are like little children, who believe in fairy tales.
Liberals think/believe that whatever they say is real reality.
"If I wish really, really, really hard, then my penis can become a woman.
They really believe this crap.
It is not so much what is real that is real, it is more what you want to be real that is real.
Liberals are little children. They never matured.

I don't think that they really believe the b.s. that they spew, they only spew it and defend it to fulfill their agenda.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

Andy Ngô  @MrAndyNgo
Philadelphia Police charged 7 in relation to an #antifa riot on New Years Eve where black bloc militants smashed up federal buildings. They were also carrying a firebomb.
Adam McVicker
Meredith Tooker
Dustin Callahan
Sydney Miller
Allision Donohue
Jacob Robotin
Josey Augustine

9:45 AM · Jan 5, 2021·
Nelson Mendez, 31
Thomas Moseley, 29
Marc Holley, 32
Laura Galaviz, 29

8:54 AM · Jan 5, 2021
An antifa shot dead a man in downtown Portland just a few months ago. In 2019, antifa Connor Betts killed 9. Charles Landeros launched a school shooting. Willem van Spronsen came armed & firebombed a government facility. BLM extremist Micah Johnson killed 5. Gavin Long killed 3.
11:50 AM · Jan 2, 2021·
Such value-laden language! They're not violent at all.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Stenny's an effing idiot. Unfortunately, that seems to resonate with his base.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis