Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 49372 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2021, 04:24:43 am »
I never got into the televangelism or Christian TV network scene. I listened to a few radio shows in the early (mumble)s but got turned off by Swaggart's continual beg-a-thon and the Two Kenneths God-in-a-Box theology.
Back when my children were babies and I would stay up at night to spell my wife I would tune into Dr. Gene Scott but not for religion, for entertainment, he was a hell of a character! Otherwise I have no use for the charlatans.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2021, 01:03:33 am »
Good grief, the radio people are dropping left and right.

Roy Masters dies at 92

Himself a marginally famous hypnotist and somewhat of an eccentric, Masters is perhaps better known for his role in conservative talk radio as the founder and operator of Talk Radio Network. It was originally established by Masters's sons as the vehicle for his show Advice Line, but eventually it added the shows hosted by Art Bell, Michael Savage and Laura Ingraham, with the latter two (as it seemed to be the norm with TRN) leaving the company on less than amicable terms.

https://www.mailtribune.com/top-stories/2021/04/23/radio-evangelist-roy-masters-dies-at-93/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #377 on: May 13, 2021, 09:37:36 pm »
Norman Lloyd dies at 106

Lloyd had a long and distinguished acting career; though he did some film, he is better known for his radio and television work. He was a longtime member of the Mercury Theatre run by Orson Welles, reemerged in the 1950s as a semi-regular in Alfred Hitchcock's work, and earned newfound fame among younger audiences on the 1980s drama St. Elsewhere.

Lloyd died of old age May 11.

https://www.today.com/popculture/norman-lloyd-star-saboteur-st-elsewhere-dies-106-t218138

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #378 on: May 13, 2021, 10:16:56 pm »
He was quite good on St. Elsewhere.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #379 on: May 14, 2021, 12:39:18 am »
He was quite good on St. Elsewhere.

Yes he was.  I did watch it often....The series final was a serious letdown with a huge WTF were the writers thinking.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2021, 11:25:18 pm »
Charles Grodin, 'Midnight Run,' 'Heartbreak Kid,' star, dies
AOL Associated Press
JAKE COYLE
May 18, 2021, 2:11 PM

Charles Grodin, the offbeat actor and writer who scored as a newlywed cad in “The Heartbreak Kid” and the father in the “Beethoven” comedies, has died. He was 86.

Grodin's son Nicholas said his father died Tuesday at his home in Wilton, Conn. from bone marrow cancer.

Grodin appeared in a string of notable films from the 1970s onward, including “Midnight Run,” “The Woman in Red” and “Heaven Can Wait.” On Broadway, he starred with Ellen Burstyn in the long-running 1970s comedy “Same Time, Next Year.”  ... AOL Entertainment

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2021, 11:34:54 pm »
Charles Grodin, 'Midnight Run,' 'Heartbreak Kid,' star, dies
AOL Associated Press
JAKE COYLE
May 18, 2021, 2:11 PM

Charles Grodin, the offbeat actor and writer who scored as a newlywed cad in “The Heartbreak Kid” and the father in the “Beethoven” comedies, has died. He was 86.

@mountaineer

Loved him in every role I saw him play,but I had no idea he was that old.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2021, 11:37:48 pm »
That surprised me, too.

Obligatory photo

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2021, 11:39:37 pm »
He was so good in Midnight Run...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2021, 11:47:33 pm »
@mountaineer

I listened to his commentaries for CBS, though not in a few years. I too was surprised at seeing his age back then.

Offline verga

« Reply #385 on: May 19, 2021, 11:34:16 am »
@mountaineer

Samne here.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2021, 12:50:19 pm »
Former Sen. John Warner, who was once married to Elizabeth Taylor, dead at 94
By Associated Press
May 26, 2021 | 8:35am
ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Former Sen. John W. Warner of Virginia, a former Navy secretary who was once married to Elizabeth Taylor, has died at 94, his longtime chief of staff said Wednesday.

Warner died Tuesday of heart failure at home in Alexandria, Virginia, with his wife and daughter at his side, Susan A. Magill said.

“He was frail but had a lot of spirit and was involved until his last days,” Magill said.

Warner, a Republican, was elected to the Senate in 1978 and served five terms. He announced in 2007 that he would not run again in 2008. ...
NY Post

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2021, 03:58:48 pm »
Former Sen. John Warner and Elizabeth Taylor met on a blind date with Queen Elizabeth
The former Navy secretary died Tuesday of heart failure at home in Alexandria, Virginia, with his wife and daughter at his side

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/john-warner-elizabeth-taylor-blind-date-queen-elizabeth-ii-england
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2021, 11:45:44 am »
Eric Carle, children's author and illustrator whose famous works included "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," has died at 91.
https://abc7.com/eric-carle-very-hungry-caterpillar-author-illustrator/10699566/

Offline verga

« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2021, 11:34:21 am »
Eric Carle, children's author and illustrator whose famous works included "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," has died at 91.
https://abc7.com/eric-carle-very-hungry-caterpillar-author-illustrator/10699566/

My nieces and Nephews loved his books.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #390 on: May 28, 2021, 10:42:02 pm »
Patrick Sky, singer-songwriter of the 60's:
https://bestclassicbands.com/patrick-sky-obituary-5-27-21/

From my favorite album of his, "Reality is Bad Enough":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zchYDzg5lVo

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2021, 08:46:42 pm »
Gavin MacLeod, TV fixture best known as Murray Slaughter on Mary Tyler Moore and as the captain of The Love Boat, has died at 90.
https://apnews.com/article/gavin-macleod-entertainment-arts-and-entertainment-6313dfd801244eeeea2be2ddeac1cdbb

Offline skeeter

« Reply #392 on: May 29, 2021, 08:55:47 pm »
Gavin MacLeod, TV fixture best known as Murray Slaughter on Mary Tyler Moore and as the captain of The Love Boat, has died at 90.
https://apnews.com/article/gavin-macleod-entertainment-arts-and-entertainment-6313dfd801244eeeea2be2ddeac1cdbb

A pretty good character actor as well. First saw him in Sand Pebbles.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #393 on: May 29, 2021, 10:11:07 pm »
He did a wide range of "character" roles, including 1960s TV westerns.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2021, 10:49:52 pm »
I've just read that singer B.J. Thomas has died. More to follow.

Grammy-winning pop, country and gospel singer B.J. Thomas has died at age 78 following a bout with lung cancer. He died earlier today at his home in Arlington, Texas.

Thomas, best known for hits like “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” and “Hooked on a Feeling,” announced in March that he had been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. “I just wanted to take this unique opportunity to share my gratitude to Gloria, my wonderful wife and my rock for over 53 years, my family, friends and fans,” he said in a statement at the time.

Born on Aug. 7, 1942, in Hugo, Okla., and raised outside Houston, Thomas sang in his church choir as a teenager and fronted the Triumphs before embarking on a solo career. In 1966, he earned his first gold record with a cover of Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," which sold over 1 million copies and peaked at No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Thomas' star continued to rise with his 1968 album, On My Way, which featured the hit single "Hooked on a Feeling." The song, distinguished by Reggie Young's electric sitar intro, peaked at No. 5 on the Hot 100 and became Thomas' second gold record, selling over a million copies. In December 1968, Thomas also married singer-songwriter Gloria Richardson, to whom he remained married his whole life. ...

Yet as Thomas' career flourished, his increasing drug and alcohol use threatened to splinter his marriage. Salvation came in 1975, when Thomas and Gloria both converted to Christianity and began to mend their relationship.

The following year, Thomas released his first gospel album, Home Where I Belong, establishing him as one of the era's biggest contemporary Christian artists. He went on to earn Grammy nods for Best Inspirational Performance seven consecutive years (1978-1984), including four wins in that category. (He also took home Best Gospel Performance in 1981.)
more

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:06:19 pm by mountaineer »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2021, 11:50:01 pm »
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bj-thomas-dead/

Grammy-winning pop, country and gospel singer B.J. Thomas has died at age 78 following a bout with lung cancer. He died earlier today at his home in Arlington, Texas.

Thomas, best known for hits like “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” and “Hooked on a Feeling,” announced in March that he had been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. “I just wanted to take this unique opportunity to share my gratitude to Gloria, my wonderful wife and my rock for over 53 years, my family, friends and fans,” he said in a statement at the time.

From his first "AD" album, the title cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dzT1KtLPQ

The song seems rather appropriate.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2021, 12:05:28 am »
The song seems rather appropriate.
Yes.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2021, 12:41:50 am »
A pretty good character actor as well. First saw him in Sand Pebbles.

McHales Navy.  "Happy"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #398 on: May 30, 2021, 12:55:49 am »
McHales Navy.  "Happy"
Hmm. McHales Navy. Sand Pebbles. Love Boat

He musta liked sailor outfits.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2021, 01:49:13 am »
He did a wide range of "character" roles, including 1960s TV westerns.

I'll always remember him as Oddball's pessimistic mechanic who was 'always with the negative waves'.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!