Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 49681 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2021, 12:42:53 pm »
RIP, great actor. I won't comment on his choice in wives.
I understand Dixie was more conservative than the character she played on Designing Women.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2021, 06:49:06 pm »
RIP.  He only played one role I ever cared for, when he was in Midway.  The roles I remember are villain roles, and I just did not like him.  Maybe he was just that good.  I enjoyed it thoroughly when he drove off with an explosive in the back seat of Magnum Force after threatening Harry Callahan, and blew up a short distance away. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2021, 07:35:38 pm »
 Feb 5, 2021 9:58am PT
Christopher Plummer, Oscar Winner and ‘Sound of Music’ Star, Dies at 91
Richard Natale
Variety
Christopher Plummer, the Canadian-born Shakespearean actor who starred in films including “The Sound of Music” and “Beginners,” died on Friday morning at his home in Connecticut. He was 91.

“Chris was an extraordinary man who deeply loved and respected his profession with great old fashion manners, self deprecating humor and the music of words,” said Lou Pitt, his longtime friend and manager of 46 years. “He was a national treasure who deeply relished his Canadian roots. Through his art and humanity, he touched all of our hearts and his legendary life will endure for all generations to come. He will forever be with us.”

An imposing theatrical presence with a well-cultivated, resonant voice, that critic John Simon once observed, “in its chamois mode, can polish mirrors,” Plummer was best known for playing Captain von Trapp in the Oscar-winning musical “The Sound of Music.” He also won an Oscar in 2012 for his supporting turn in the film “Beginners,” becoming the oldest actor ever to win the Academy Award for supporting actor. ...
More at Variety

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2021, 06:30:42 pm »
Plummer was a great actor.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2021, 06:27:26 pm »
Leon Spinks, ex-heavyweight champ who upset Muhammad Ali, dies at 67

Leon Spinks, who surprised the boxing world by beating Muhammad Ali for the world heavyweight title in 1978, died Friday night at age 67, according to the Firm PR, a public relations firm that represents him.

Spinks, who had been suffering from prostate and other cancers for five years, died with his wife, Brenda Glur Spinks, by his side, the firm said.

The St. Louis native, a former Marine who won a gold medal as a light heavyweight at the 1976 Olympics, was just 13 months and eight fights into his pro boxing career when he stepped into a ring against Ali on Feb. 15, 1978, in Las Vegas.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/30848782/leon-spinks-ex-heavyweight-champ-upset-muhammad-ali-dies-67
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2021, 06:30:31 pm »
George P. Shultz, counsel and Cabinet member for two Republican presidents, dies at 100

George P. Shultz, one of only two people to serve the United States in four Cabinet-level posts and a major force in economic and foreign policy in two Republican administrations, died Feb. 6 at his home in Stanford, Calif. He was 100.

The Hoover Institution at Stanford University, where Dr. Shultz was long affiliated after stepping down as secretary of state in 1989, announced the death but did not give a cause.

Dr. Shultz’s prodigious inside knowledge of the U.S. government was rivaled by few figures in recent memory, and his soft-spoken, cerebral manner obscured his strong conservative views about the wisdom of keeping spending under control, limiting government regulation and vigorously confronting terrorists.

He was famously a pragmatist on some of the consequential issues he faced while in power. As President Ronald Reagan’s secretary of state, Dr. Shultz played a critical role in the dramatic easing of tensions between the United States and Soviet Union that took place during the late 1980s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/george-shultz-dead/2021/02/07/08a6feaa-c6a1-11e8-9b1c-a90f1daae309_story.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2021, 06:51:50 pm »
Cicely Tyson, iconic award-winning actress, has died at 96

@mountaineer

I had no idea she was that old.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2021, 06:55:34 pm »
@mountaineer

I had no idea she was that old.

@sneakypete

I had no idea Leon Spinks was that young....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2021, 06:58:51 pm »
@sneakypete

I had no idea Leon Spinks was that young....

Me either. And it’s a shame that Dr. Shultz’s obit was tainted by his dealings with Theranos. I suppose one day Henry Kissinger’s obit will have the same thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2021, 07:01:08 pm »
I see good news in these obits.

No,I am NOT happy that ANY of these people are dying. The good news is that so many of them are in their 90's, and lived normal lifestyles. ALL of them grew up drinking,smoking,and having a good time,even if they quit those vices later in life.

I am also happy that so many of them were only incapacitated/stuck in bed unable to care for themselves for a short time before they passed.

When I was born in the late 40's,most people were dying in their 60's and early 70's,and these were normal people living normal lives who basically worked,and then came home at the end of the day. They weren't heavy drinkers or drug users,and most were in bed sleeping my 11 PM so they could get up in the morning and go to work.

Who can put a price on the value of the "extra" 20 years or so of life these people got to enjoy with their families,or the joy their families got from them?

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2021, 04:29:43 am »
I am so tired of seeing folks die of cancer, at the hands of American doctors.  The recognized therapies of the AMA is downright criminal. Germany has almost double the success Americans doctors have regarding cancer.  Just no excuse for their pathetic performance and mindset.

A dear friend of mine had two forms of terminal cancer, given 2-3 months to live.  He ended up taking mega doses of shark cartilage, and his prostate cancer went completely away, and his multiple myeloma went into full remission.  He lived 5.5 years and died of something other than the cancer.

I saw this repeated many times, folks who had months to live, American doctors offering nothing from a therapeutic perspective, and they took alternative approaches and lived, and many returned to health.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:29:29 pm by jafo2010 »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2021, 03:11:09 pm »
I am so tired of seeing folks die of cancer, at the hands of American doctors.  The recognized therapies of the AMA is downright criminal. Germany has almost double the success Americans doctors have regarding cancer.  Just no excuse for their pathetic performance and mindset.

A dear friend of mine had two forms of terminal cancer, given 2-3 months to live.  He ended up taking mega doses of shark cartilage, and his prostate cancer went completely away, and his multiple myeloma went into full remission.  He lived 5.5 ye and died of something other than the cancer.

I saw this repeated many times, folks who had months to live, American doctors offering nothing from a therapeutic perspective, and they took alternative approaches and lived, and many returned to health.

What my best friend and fiancé went through with his prostate cancer, especially in his last few months was pure hell. I wouldn’t wish that on my worse enemy.
I know I’m only half of myself since he’s gone but I do take a little comfort that with all the pain, and the cancer was going to his brain, he’s in a better place, and he and his cats and dogs are waiting for me.

I Pray there’s a cure for cancer in my lifetime
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:12:08 pm by Gefn »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2021, 03:29:33 pm »

A dear friend of mine had two forms of terminal cancer, given 2-3 months to live.  He ended up taking mega doses of shark cartilage, and his prostate cancer went completely away, and his multiple myeloma went into full remission.  He lived 5.5 ye and died of something other than the cancer.

@jafo2010

It's only going to get worse with the globalist bankers buying up all the local hospitals,which means buying out all the local doctors,and establishing "corporate rule" over doctors decisions when it comes to treatment approaches.

I have seen my local hospital take this route,and it is now impossible for me to even get an appointment with the vascular surgeon that saved my leg in 1982 because he was bought out too,and is now a member of the Medical Borg. If I call him I end up getting an appointment at a "wound clinic" owned by the hospital,and some minimum wage employee just changes my bandage and sends me home,billing me more than the vascular surgeon used to bill me. When I went back the second time,it was the same thing. They made me another appointement and I told them when they did I would see an actual doctor or I would never return,I did get to see a doctor. She was smug and arrogant,and didn't listen to a single word I had to say. I got the same result,a new bandage and sent home with an appoitment to come back in a week and have it changed.

What they were doing was using the least amount of effort to drain my bank account in slow motion without ever actually having to do anything for me. After all,it ain't like I can't change a bandage at home myself.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2021, 11:44:32 pm »
George Shultz, RIP

Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog 2/8/2021

https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=47222

George Shultz, who served as Secretary of State for Ronald Reagan for six years, died yesterday at age 100.

Reagan assumed the presidency at a time when the existence of the Soviet Union and its domination of eastern Europe was regarded as an immutable fact of world politics. Taking office after Alexander Haig, Shultz helped implement Reagan’s vision of containing and rolling back communism across the globe. From supporting Solidarity in Poland, to backing anticommunist rebels in Reagan Doctrine countries like Afghanistan and Nicaragua, to the liberation of Grenada, to deploying intermediate nuclear missiles in Europe, to a hundred other policies, the Reagan Administration pressed Soviet communism in ways that would eventually force not only the liberation of Eastern Europe, but the demise of the Soviet Union itself. Shultz would play a key role in keeping American allies onboard with the program, and eventually in negotiations with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev that would lead to the end of the Cold War.

Compared to Haig, Shultz was a low-key, drama-free professional who skillfully kept a wide variety of western governments broadly aligned with American goals, and for that he deserves credit. That he was wrong about much outside the Cold War (the gold standard, carbon taxes, and Brexit, to name but three) should not take away from his central achievement. With James A. Baker III, Secretary of State under Bush 41 (who largely followed the policies laid down under Reagan), Shultz presided over the most successful period of post-World War II diplomacy in American history, and his achievements were far more lasting than those under flashier Secretaries of State like Henry Kissinger or Colin Powell.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2021, 12:47:22 am »

@jafo2010

It's only going to get worse with the globalist bankers buying up all the local hospitals,which means buying out all the local doctors,and establishing "corporate rule" over doctors decisions when it comes to treatment approaches.

I have seen my local hospital take this route,and it is now impossible for me to even get an appointment with the vascular surgeon that saved my leg in 1982 because he was bought out too,and is now a member of the Medical Borg. If I call him I end up getting an appointment at a "wound clinic" owned by the hospital,and some minimum wage employee just changes my bandage and sends me home,billing me more than the vascular surgeon used to bill me. When I went back the second time,it was the same thing. They made me another appointement and I told them when they did I would see an actual doctor or I would never return,I did get to see a doctor. She was smug and arrogant,and didn't listen to a single word I had to say. I got the same result,a new bandage and sent home with an appoitment to come back in a week and have it changed.

What they were doing was using the least amount of effort to drain my bank account in slow motion without ever actually having to do anything for me. After all,it ain't like I can't change a bandage at home myself.
It's all part of "managing" disease, instead of curing it.

If they "manage" it, they can keep you coming back for more.

That's part of the reason I am especially skeptical of the vaccine for COVID, in that treatments which do work are being actively suppressed, and the vaccine is being pushed hard, despite the tendency for respiratory viruses to mutate (part of the reason no vaccine is available for the common cold).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MOD8

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2021, 01:36:14 am »
Please remember that the topic of this thread is "Obituaries for 2021".

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2021, 01:48:24 pm »
Mary Wilson, Co-Founder of Supremes, Dead at 76
Motown legend appeared on all 12 of group’s Number One hits, including “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Come See About Me,” and “Stop! In the Name of Love“
February 9, 2021 4:00AM ET
Jerry Portwood
Mary Wilson, a founding member of the Supremes, died on Monday at her home in Henderson, Nevada. She was 76.

Wilson’s publicist, Jay Schwartz, confirmed the singer’s death to Rolling Stone, but did not reveal a cause of death.

The trailblazing 1960s Motown group — which also included lead singer Diana Ross and Florence Ballard — released hit songs “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Come See About Me,” and “Stop! In the Name of Love” from 1964 to 1965. ...
Rolling Stone

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2021, 02:38:08 pm »
NFL coaching legend Marty Schottenheimer dies at 77
9:19 AM ET

Former NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer died Monday after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

Schottenheimer was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014. He was moved to a hospice facility near his home in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Jan. 3o due to complications from the irreversible, progressive brain disorder.

Schottenheimer was a head coach for 21 seasons in the NFL, leading the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington and the Chargers. ... ESPN
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:40:00 pm by mountaineer »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2021, 02:59:16 pm »
Motown legend appeared on all 12 of group’s Number One hits, including “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Come See About Me,” and “Stop! In the Name of Love“
Jerry PortwoodRolling Stone

Very talented lady. RIP.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2021, 03:56:32 pm »

@mountaineer

She was practically a baby when they had their first hit.

rangerrebew

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2021, 04:16:38 pm »
 â€˜She lifted people up.’ Barrier-breaking female astronaut dies at 75, daughter says
Millie Hughes-Fulford (NASA/Released)
February 09, 2021 Jack Howland - Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Millie Hughes-Fulford, a barrier-breaking astronaut and scientific researcher whose passion for space was formed as a child in Mineral Wells looking up at the stars, died Thursday following a seven-year battle with cancer, her daughter told the Star-Telegram. She was 75.

Hughes-Fulford shattered a glass ceiling in 1991 when she became the first female payload specialist to fly in space for NASA, launching into orbit on the shuttle Columbia as part of the first-ever mission dedicated to biomedical studies, STS-40. In the specialized role, dedicated to conducting on-board research, the trained chemist helped complete more than 18 experiments over a nine-day period, gathering more medical data than any mission up to that point. She circled the earth 146 times.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/02/she-lifted-people-up-barrier-breaking-female-astronaut-dies-at-75-daughter-says/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2021, 05:37:57 pm »
‘She lifted people up.’ Barrier-breaking female astronaut dies at 75, daughter says
Millie Hughes-Fulford (NASA/Released)
February 09, 2021 Jack Howland - Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Millie Hughes-Fulford, a barrier-breaking astronaut and scientific researcher whose passion for space was formed as a child in Mineral Wells looking up at the stars, died Thursday following a seven-year battle with cancer, her daughter told the Star-Telegram. She was 75.

Hughes-Fulford shattered a glass ceiling in 1991 when she became the first female payload specialist to fly in space for NASA, launching into orbit on the shuttle Columbia as part of the first-ever mission dedicated to biomedical studies, STS-40. In the specialized role, dedicated to conducting on-board research, the trained chemist helped complete more than 18 experiments over a nine-day period, gathering more medical data than any mission up to that point. She circled the earth 146 times.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/02/she-lifted-people-up-barrier-breaking-female-astronaut-dies-at-75-daughter-says/

@rangerrebew

I am happy she made it! It's good to see an example of hard-working people getting a chance to live their dream.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2021, 05:48:33 pm »

It's a shame that she and Diana Ross could never patch up their differences. The Supremes were never really my thing but they were hugely popular.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2021, 07:43:47 pm »
It's a shame that she and Diana Ross could never patch up their differences. The Supremes were never really my thing but they were hugely popular.

I think Mary Wilson was a far better singer than Diana Ross. Rest in peace.
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2021, 11:24:37 pm »
Larry Flynt dead: Hustler porn magazine mogul dies at 78
The controversial publisher, known for launching a porn empire, has died at the age of 78
ByLucy NeedhamSenior Celebrity Reporter
    22:47, 10 FEB 2021
Updated23:05, 10 FEB 2021
Hustler magazine mogul Larry Flynt has died at the age of 78.

Family sources told TMZ the publisher passed away on Wednesday morning in Los Angeles from heart failure.

Flynt had been regarded as one of the biggest names in the adult film industry for 50 years after launching Hustler back in 1974.

His notoriety led to him being shot in 1978 in a murder attempt by serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin. ...
More from the Mirror (U.K.)