Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 50016 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2021, 01:58:50 am »
My favorite Thomas song, "Whatever Happened to Old-Fashioned Love?"

And to think that song is even more relevant in 2021 than it was when he released it in the early 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0iBfSlynpw
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2021, 04:19:34 am »
A pretty good character actor as well. First saw him in Sand Pebbles.
Just watched him in Kelley's Heroes, though his part in it wasn't what you might call dramatic or deep.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2021, 07:55:39 am »
B.J.Thomas
Rock n roll lullaby, amongst a great many other songs, some that made it into Big time movies.  He sang some really excellent Christian music as well.  It was a privilege to be alive to witness the greatness of his music.  Thanks, BJ, you will be missed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:54:25 am by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2021, 12:38:52 pm »
Gavin MacLeod, TV fixture best known as Murray Slaughter on Mary Tyler Moore and as the captain of The Love Boat, has died at 90.
https://apnews.com/article/gavin-macleod-entertainment-arts-and-entertainment-6313dfd801244eeeea2be2ddeac1cdbb

Rest In Peace, Murray Slaughter.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Mod2

« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2021, 01:35:51 pm »
Merged with obit thread.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #405 on: May 31, 2021, 08:29:32 am »
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bj-thomas-dead/

From his first "AD" album, the title cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dzT1KtLPQ

The song seems rather appropriate.

Precisesly.

"One day I’ll be sleeping when death knocks on my door
And I’ll awake to find that I’m not homesick anymore
‘Cause I’ll be home, I’ll be home
Where I belong."

A good man, BJ Thomas. Some of my early 60s vinyl includes a more local BJT (BJ Thomas & the Triumphs, whose music was constantly played on the Garner State Park jukebox). Still got those 45s, but it's far easier to find them on YouTube than to sift through my boxes of 45s. Mine aren't at all pristine as these are. They look, instead, like they've been rode hard and put up wet, but they have brought much joy, entertainment and dancing.

Many of the graduating classes in the area were fortunate enough to have BJT and the Triumphs as the entertainment for their senior activities (early to mid 60s). My cousin (class of '62) is always lording it over me. A lot of good music came out of the Houston area. I'm thankful to have been able to cross paths with that era at just the right time.

Rest in unspeakable joy in the presence of the Lord, homeboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s138UawVdA
I Know it’s Wrong

(Flip side)
 \/
 \/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e93wUTWpps
Lazy Man

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline verga

« Reply #406 on: May 31, 2021, 12:11:26 pm »
Gavin MacLeod, TV fixture best known as Murray Slaughter on Mary Tyler Moore and as the captain of The Love Boat, has died at 90.
https://apnews.com/article/gavin-macleod-entertainment-arts-and-entertainment-6313dfd801244eeeea2be2ddeac1cdbb

Loved him in "Kelly's Heroes"
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #407 on: June 03, 2021, 11:41:11 pm »
F. Lee Bailey, defense lawyer for OJ Simpson and Patty Hearst, dies at 87

His son Bendrix Bailey confirmed his death but didn’t disclose the cause.
By
Jenna Romaine | June 3, 2021

F. Lee Bailey died on Thursday, June 3 in a Georgia hospice center at the age of 87.
    Bailey was a former private investigator and renowned criminal defense attorney.
    During his career, Bailey worked a multitude of high-profile trials, including those of Albert DeSalvo, Patty Hearst and OJ Simpson.

F. Lee Bailey, one of the most renowned criminal defense attorneys in the United States, died on Thursday, June 3 in a Georgia hospice center at the age of 87. His son Bendrix Bailey confirmed his death but didn’t disclose the cause.

Both a former private investigator and criminal defense attorney, Bailey was known for his extensive pretrial preparations and his frequent appearances on talk shows such as “The Tonight Show.”

During his time as a criminal defense lawyer, Bailey worked a multitude of high-profile cases. He represented sexual assault defendant Albert DeSalvo, who confessed to being the “Boston Strangler,” a serial killer who had been wanted for the killings of 13 women in the 1960s.

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/arts-culture/556790-f-lee-bailey-defense-lawyer-for-oj-simpson-and-patty
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #408 on: June 04, 2021, 06:34:17 pm »
Wayne "Buddy" Van Horn, a longtime collaborator with Clint Eastwood, has died at 92.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/buddy-van-horn-dead-clint-eastwood-stuntman-1234961173/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2021, 03:10:44 am »
Songwriter Glenn Douglas Tubb dies at 85.

Tubb, though his recording career was never as prolific as his uncle Ernest (nor even his cousin Justin), established a solid niche as a songwriter, his biggest hit being the preachy "Skip a Rope," made a chart-topping hit by Henson Cargill in 1967. He helped Tammy Wynette write "Two Story House" as a duet for her ex-husband George Jones, and also helped Johnny Cash write "Home of the Blues." He later did ministry after his songwriting career faded and continued to appear sporadically on the Midnite Jamboree, the late-night concert series held at his uncle's record shop in Nashville.

Tubb died May 22.

https://musicrow.com/2021/05/veteran-songwriter-glenn-douglas-tubb-passes/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p2SRf9YEy0

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2021, 07:57:32 am »
Rest In Peace, Murray Slaughter.

A.K.A., Captain Stubing. I always thought he was one of those guys who, like Hector Elizondo and Dave Ramsey, was sexy despite being bald.

He and his wife had an interesting story about splitting up for several years and then coming back together as believers in Jesus.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2021, 11:18:35 am »
Nigerian faith healer T.B. Joshua dies at 57.

He seemed not to have as much of a reputation for corruption as other televangelists and faith healers of his era, perhaps because he did not use ministry time to solicit financial donations and lived up to his responsibility to be generous with the wealth that came with his worldwide Synagogue Church of All Nations. The SCOAN had a worldwide following, drawing numerous tourists to the Lagos, Nigeria-based church and serving as a boost to the Nigerian economy. His socially conservative stances against homosexuality eventually got him kicked off YouTube, and like most faith healers, he was frequently scrutinized for erroneous prophecies and failed healings.

Joshua died shortly after his June 5 evening service.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57374250

Offline rustynail

« Reply #412 on: June 07, 2021, 12:19:01 pm »
Clarence Williams III, actor in 'The Mod Squad’ and 'Purple Rain,' dead at 81

Online mountaineer

« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2021, 01:34:07 pm »
Clarence Williams III, actor in "The Mod Squad" and countless TV shows, has died at 81
June 7, 2021 / 7:12 AM / AP

Clarence Williams III, who played the cool undercover cop Linc Hayes on the counterculture series "The Mod Squad" and Prince's father in "Purple Rain," has died. He was 81.

Williams died Friday at his home in Los Angeles after a battle with colon cancer, his manager Allan Mindel said Sunday. ...

A native of New York, Williams career spanned over five decades in theater, television and film. He was born into a creative family in 1939 and raised by his musical grandparents. His grandfather was a jazz composer and pianist, his father a musician and his mother, Eva Taylor, a singer and actress. He got his acting start on Broadway after a stint as a paratrooper and received a Tony nomination for his role in William Hanley's "Slow Dance on the Killing Ground" in 1964. ...

Williams could command a variety of genres, including comedy. He played a drug lord opposite Dave Chappelle in "Half Baked" and stole scenes in Keenen Ivory Wayans' blaxploitation parody film "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka." He also had a recurring role as the FBI agent in David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" who tells Agent Cooper he's been suspended. ...  More at CBS

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2021, 02:57:11 pm »
Does this mean Clarence is now the Missing Linc?   888mouth

(I liked him on the Squad.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2021, 04:59:42 pm »

(I liked him on the Squad.)

One white One black, and one blonde!. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2021, 05:09:01 pm »
Clarence Williams III playing the "Black Power" "leader" in "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ytOXXqHVQk
Let it burn.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2021, 05:24:43 pm »
One white One black, and one blonde!.
Only the white one is still around.

My folks wouldn’t let me watch MS.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2021, 05:59:42 pm »
Only the white one is still around.

My folks wouldn’t let me watch MS.

A few years back one of the cable channels did a "Squadathon".   It did not hold up well at all.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2021, 06:08:43 pm »
A few years back one of the cable channels did a "Squadathon".   It did not hold up well at all.
Decades TV does weekend binges of old TV shows and ran Mod Squad a couple of months ago, I'm sure they will again now. Sometimes it's hit or miss, last weekend it was hit with the old Police Squad series happy77
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:10:39 pm by GtHawk »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2021, 01:05:55 am »
Loved Mod Squad.  All three actors were great in their roles.

B.J. Thomas also had great songs. 

And Charles Grodin was also a great comedic actor.  Enjoyed everything he did. 

All will be missed.

I wish they knew about shark cartilage.  No reason to succumb to cancer at the hands of the merciless American medical system of cut, burn and poison.  Idiocy our efforts on cancer!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2021, 01:21:56 am »

All will be missed.

I wish they knew about shark cartilage.  No reason to succumb to cancer at the hands of the merciless American medical system of cut, burn and poison.  Idiocy our efforts on cancer!!!
Like so many other diseases, it seems the objective is to manage (milk) it, not cure it.  **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #422 on: June 10, 2021, 01:27:41 am »

All will be missed.

I've heard of it and will have to research it. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #423 on: June 14, 2021, 11:19:34 am »
Ned Beatty, titanic character actor of ‘Network,’ dies at 83
By JAKE COYLE

NEW YORK (AP) — Ned Beatty, the Oscar-nominated character actor who in half a century of American movies, including “Deliverance,” “Network” and “Superman,” was a booming, indelible presence in even the smallest parts, has died. He was 83.

Beatty’s manager, Deborah Miller, said Beatty died Sunday of natural causes at his home in Los Angeles surrounded by friends and loved ones.

After years in regional theater, Beatty was cast in 1972′s “Deliverance” as Bobby Trippe, the happy-go-lucky member of a male river-boating party terrorized by backwoods thugs in “Deliverance.” The scene in which Trippe is brutalized and forced to “squeal like a pig” became the most memorable in the movie and established Beatty as an actor whose name moviegoers may not have known but whose face they always recognized.  ... Associated Press
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #424 on: June 14, 2021, 12:35:57 pm »
Ned Beatty, titanic character actor of ‘Network,’ dies at 83
By JAKE COYLE

NEW YORK (AP) — Ned Beatty, the Oscar-nominated character actor who in half a century of American movies, including “Deliverance,” “Network” and “Superman,” was a booming, indelible presence in even the smallest parts, has died. He was 83.

Beatty’s manager, Deborah Miller, said Beatty died Sunday of natural causes at his home in Los Angeles surrounded by friends and loved ones.

After years in regional theater, Beatty was cast in 1972′s “Deliverance” as Bobby Trippe, the happy-go-lucky member of a male river-boating party terrorized by backwoods thugs in “Deliverance.” The scene in which Trippe is brutalized and forced to “squeal like a pig” became the most memorable in the movie and established Beatty as an actor whose name moviegoers may not have known but whose face they always recognized.  ... Associated Press

RIP Mr. Beatty. I thin I liked every part he played. He had tremendous range as an actor from hero to nasty villain, from comedy to Drama. He will be missed.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.