Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 50340 times)

Offline verga

Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2021, 03:37:09 pm »
Chick Corea, Jazz Pianist Who Expanded the Possibilities of the Genre, Dead at 79

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/chick-corea-obit-1127283/
I was introduced to his music in 1976, by my 10th grade English teacher. His music moved your soul.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2021, 01:39:58 am »
This is too deep into the bowels of the music industry for me to have heard of the guy, but ...

Rupert Neve 1926-2021

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/rupert-neve-1926-2021

We are very sad to report the death of Rupert Neve, perhaps the most important and influential designer in recording-studio history. Mr. Neve passed away at the age of 94 in his adoptive home of Wimberley, Texas, but his name will be forever associated with the British company he founded in 1961. He was quick to see the potential of solid-state electronics, designing his first all-transistor console in the mid-’60s, and would go on to create seminal designs such as the 1073 and 1084 preamp/EQ modules. Neve consoles became first choice for recording studios and broadcasters all around the world, and by the time he and wife Evelyn sold Neve Electronics in 1975, the company employed over 500 people.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:50 pm »
GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame Member, CARMAN, Iconic CCM Trailblazer, Dies at Las Vegas Hospital
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (February 16, 2021) - GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame member, CARMAN, passed away Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at a Las Vegas, Nevada hospital, after fighting a series of complications resulting from surgery to repair a hiatal hernia.

Carman Dominic Licciardello, known to fans worldwide as “Carman,” was 65.

Born January 19, 1956 in Trenton, New Jersey, Carman began his musical career playing drums in his mother’s band at the age of 15. Carman holds the world record for having the largest audience to see a single Christian artist. He set the record for the largest concert at Texas Stadium with more than 71,000 fans and led more than 80,000 fans in worship in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Among his many awards, Carman received the House of Hope of Humanitarian Award for his positive influence in the lives of American youth in 2006, other noted recipients of this award include Ronald & Nancy Reagan and Billy Graham. The Gospel Music Association honored Carman with induction into the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2018.  ...
More

Edit to add: a few years ago, he overcame a very virulent form of cancer and returned to the stage. Died of a heart attack after hernia surgery, but I understand there was concern that his cancer may have been returning.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:24:11 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2021, 02:11:25 pm »
GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame Member, CARMAN, Iconic CCM Trailblazer, Dies at Las Vegas HospitalMore

I saw that this morning.  Very sad.  He was a huge deal in the late 80's - used to be a guest at ORU chapel fairly frequently.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2021, 02:22:06 pm »
GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame Member, CARMAN, Iconic CCM Trailblazer, Dies at Las Vegas HospitalMore

@mountaineer

I'm a big fan of his cousin,Cartman.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2021, 05:42:20 pm »
Rush Limbaugh, conservative talk radio pioneer, dead at 70 ...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rush-limbaugh-dead-talk-radio-conservative-icon

Dead at 70, lung cancer. This will hit my mother hard, Rush was part of her morning for as long as I can remember.

RIP Rush.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:45:04 pm by GtHawk »

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2021, 05:48:32 pm »
Truly a sad day.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2021, 05:58:58 pm »
I remember first hearing Rush in 1988 (guest host on KGO, recommended by Bernie Ward of all people). My first thought was, "Is this a parody?" My second thought was, "I wish I could get away with saying that so bluntly!"

(Corrected the date)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:48:42 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2021, 06:10:39 pm »
I remember first hearing Rush in 1987 (guest host on KGO, recommended by Bernie Ward of all people). My first thought was, "Is this a parody?" My second thought was, "I wish I could get away with saying that so bluntly!"

I was a latecomer as a listener to Rush (1991).  My first impression was ...   Wow, we have a new Bill Buckley, without having to have to keep dictionary near by.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2021, 08:47:42 pm »
Rush Limbaugh, conservative talk radio pioneer, dead at 70 ...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rush-limbaugh-dead-talk-radio-conservative-icon

Dead at 70, lung cancer. This will hit my mother hard, Rush was part of her morning for as long as I can remember.

RIP Rush.

Started listening to him in 91 or 92. He said what I was thinking. RIP
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2021, 09:11:03 pm »
I never listened to talk radio during my early years - too busy working. But when I changed careers and moved back to Pittsburgh in late 1991, my schedule was completely rearranged and I started turning on the radio in the afternoon. The first few shows I listened to were just too liberal, and even though I hadn't been much of a political animal to that point, I knew they just didn't make sense. Then I discovered the guy from noon to 3 p.m. who pounded his pencil and imitated a news ticker - duh duh dut, duh duh dut - and I realized that this was someone with whom I agreed. He made sense, and did it with good humor and without hatefulness. I loved that he had been a DJ in Pittsburgh long ago ("Jeff Christie") and that he was from Cape Girardeau, Mo., not far from my previous home in St. Louis.

Rush inspired and educated us. I just hope someone fills the void. We are in a very low period in American history.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2021, 09:47:36 pm »
I discovered Rush Limbaugh in September of 1993, when I was still in elementary school. Before then, they used to have cartoons on in the morning before the network news. There was The Jetsons for a while, and maybe before that was Underdog, and in 92-93 there was a God-awful one called Camp Candy. I used to get up early to watch the cartoons before school. Well, in '93, they pulled the cartoons off and replaced them with Rush Limbaugh's TV show. I thought, "that's a silly sounding name." But even though his commentary at the time went way over my head, something about him kept my attention—enough that when they moved his show back from 6:30 to 5:30 the next year to make way for local news, I would still wake up early to try and catch it.

I truly believe that Limbaugh's death is probably going to mark the end of talk radio as we know it. The current crop of pundits have either gone podcast or can't hold a candle to Limbaugh. Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck are not going to keep stations afloat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2021, 09:59:29 pm »
I was a latecomer as a listener to Rush (1991).  My first impression was ...   Wow, we have a new Bill Buckley, without having to have to keep dictionary near by.

I took my kids by WABC in Manhattan in about '97 to see if we could at least watch Rush do his show. That was when he was splitting his time between NY and FLA and unfortunately he was in FLA that day.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2021, 12:18:53 pm »
I took my kids by WABC in Manhattan in about '97 to see if we could at least watch Rush do his show. That was when he was splitting his time between NY and FLA and unfortunately he was in FLA that day.

Ah, 97 was good listening. You had Bob Grant in the afternoon, after Rush, Curtis in the am, and Lynn Samuels and Drudge on weekends. Lynn was hid producer. Steve Maltzberg was also on.

I grew up listening to Bob Grant on WABC, WOR, and WMCA. I do miss him, and Jean Shepherd. They were the ones that made me like talk radio. Shepherd was on WOR.
@skeeter
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2021, 02:38:30 pm »
Ah, 97 was good listening. You had Bob Grant in the afternoon, after Rush, Curtis in the am, and Lynn Samuels and Drudge on weekends. Lynn was hid producer. Steve Maltzberg was also on.

I grew up listening to Bob Grant on WABC, WOR, and WMCA. I do miss him, and Jean Shepherd. They were the ones that made me like talk radio. Shepherd was on WOR.
@skeeter
Lol Bob Grant kept getting fired, if I recall. Bouncing him between WOR and WABC.

Offline verga

« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2021, 08:43:55 pm »
Max "Shane" Gibson
The Club 747's first DJ has passed away:
Sad news: DJ Shane Brother Shane (Shane Gibson) passed away at age 78 on Feb. 15 after suffering a heart attack. Shane came to Buffalo for a one-night tryout at WKBW-AM in '73 to replace departing Jackson Armstrong (KB called it the Great American Talent Hunt). Shane stayed briefly at WKBW, then went to WYSL and stayed a long time at WGR-AM. He co-announced at Lancaster Speedway in '73 and drag raced there in his '66 Chevy, dubbed "The WYSL Mysl." Shane also was one of the very first DJs at the Club 747 and also designed the soundbooth and mixing board.

Shane was an outstanding Disc Jockey in Buffalo during my youth. He was well known for his Charity work, especially with kids. Virtually any charity cause he was always one of the first to sign up and was "always willing to take one for the team".  He was also a quick draw artist. At charity events he would have two rigs and people would pay to try and out draw him. The deal was if he won you donated $ x to the charity. If you won he donated either 2 or 3x to the charity. I only remember hearing about him losing 2 or 3 times over the years. During his time at WGR there was an evening talk show host by the name of John Otto who was getting on in age. One Wednesday evening John Shane would stay late and help Otto out. RIP Shane brother Shane you will be missed.  Prayers for his family.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2021, 11:14:18 pm »
I vaguely remember Shane Brother Shane on WGR (?) back in the early 1990s. I think he may have done weekends at KB in the mid-2000s, maybe?

I suspect something about him may have rubbed off on me because I have a pretty wild stage persona myself.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2021, 01:04:24 am »
I vaguely remember Shane Brother Shane on WGR (?) back in the early 1990s. I think he may have done weekends at KB in the mid-2000s, maybe?

I suspect something about him may have rubbed off on me because I have a pretty wild stage persona myself.
888high58888

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2021, 08:09:17 pm »
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Beat Poet And Small Press Publisher, Dies At 101

Lawrence Ferlinghetti has died in San Francisco. He was 101. Ferlinghetti is probably best known for three things: his Beat poetry, his San Francisco bookstore and small press, and his defense of the First Amendment in a famous court case.

His most famous work is a 1958 collection of poetry called A Coney Island of the Mind. In it, he compares the horrors depicted in Francisco Goya's paintings of the Napoleonic Wars to scenes of post-World War II America.

(Snip)

A Coney Island of the Mind was translated into nine languages and sold more than a million copies. Despite his popularity, Ferlinghetti was never considered on par with some of the other Beat writers he called his friends — Jack Kerouac, Gregory Corso and Allen Ginsberg.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/23/375206219/lawrence-ferlinghetti-beat-poet-and-small-press-publisher-dies-at-101

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2021, 08:10:44 pm »
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Beat Poet And Small Press Publisher, Dies At 101

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/23/375206219/lawrence-ferlinghetti-beat-poet-and-small-press-publisher-dies-at-101

I really liked your poetry. Rest In Peace, Sir.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2021, 08:14:30 am »
Coyote. Lab/Husky cross, 12 years old. Great pal, very vocal, never failed to greet me when I came home, a friend and companion. Loved pizza and other people food. Lost his head over a female in heat and bit a family member. Passed by lethal injection about 4:30 CST, and left a gaping hole in our family and my heart.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2021, 08:22:45 am »
Coyote. Lab/Husky cross, 12 years old. Great pal, very vocal, never failed to greet me when I came home, a friend and companion. Loved pizza and other people food. Lost his head over a female in heat and bit a family member. Passed by lethal injection about 4:30 CST, and left a gaping hole in our family and my heart.

Sorry for your loss. Hope the family member is doing well.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2021, 12:12:42 pm »

Praying for your broken heart. Such a difficult situation.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Millee

« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2021, 12:59:32 pm »

@Smokin Joe - Condolences on the loss of your fur baby. 

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2021, 01:51:24 pm »

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dog, and buddy @Smokin Joe