Author Topic: Thousands of pot-bellied pigs are snorting and squealing their way across Puerto Rico  (Read 880 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Big Wobble by Gary Walton 12/30/2020

Unstoppable quest to eat, reproduce, repeat! A high survival rate, lack of natural predators and willingness to eat anything and start reproducing before they're a year old, with up to up to 10 piglets at a time; Thousands of Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs are snorting and squealing their way across Puerto Rico

Thousands of Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs are snorting and squealing their way across Puerto Rico in what many fear has become an unstoppable quest to eat and reproduce on an island struggling to stop them. They forage through gardens and farms, knock over trash cans and leave pungent trails of urine and excrement, stopping occasionally to bathe if they find potholes full of rainwater. The former pets - or descendants of former pets - have reproduced at such an alarming rate that the U.S. territory declared a health emergency last year so federal officials could start eradicating them.

It's the latest non-native species to invade communities in Puerto Rico like iguanas and caimans did before them, although these are proving particularly hard to control and can't be killed for food because they carry so many diseases. Crews from Georgia, Alabama and Florida helped remove 500 pigs in four days last August, but the swine are so numerous and scattered that officials had to reconvene and come up with a new plan they launched several weeks ago, said Gustavo Olivieri, Caribbean district assistant supervisor for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

"It was out of control," he said of the hundreds of pigs concentrated in just one impoverished area in Puerto Rico's capital. "We realized there were way more animals than we anticipated." The problem started about five years ago after people began buying the pigs as pets without knowing they would grow to weigh 250 pounds or more. Olivieri said the pigs multiplied after Hurricane Maria struck in September 2017 as a powerful Category 4 storm because some escaped their confinement while others were set free by their families.

More: http://www.thebigwobble.org/2020/12/unstopable-quest-to-eat-reproduce.html

Offline PeteS in CA

When I saw the thread title I thought it might be about Dems gathering for a party congress. ****drummer

Unleash PR's hunters and butcher shops!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
When I saw the thread title I thought it might be about Dems gathering for a party congress. ****drummer

Unleash PR's hunters and butcher shops!
Don't we have a huge problem with Anacondas and Pythons in the Everglades? Let's start trapping the snakes and send them to Puerto Rico where they can solve the pig problem and bolster the custom boot industry too! Maybe they might even be enticed to solve the corrupt politician problem there too, kind of a test run.

Online GtHawk

It just struck me that if you substitute BLM for pot bellied pigs(different but the same?) and America for Puerto Rico............................. :pondering:

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Don't we have a huge problem with Anacondas and Pythons in the Everglades? Let's start trapping the snakes and send them to Puerto Rico where they can solve the pig problem and bolster the custom boot industry too! Maybe they might even be enticed to solve the corrupt politician problem there too, kind of a test run.

I saw where FDA, or Florida's equivalant is looking at allowing Python meat for restauarant fare.   As far as the Pot Bellies. Wonder how they taste.  Reg. Pork or feral?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

How’d they get all the way from Capital Hill to PR?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It just struck me that if you substitute BLM for pot bellied pigs(different but the same?) and America for Puerto Rico............................. :pondering:

Seems reasonable, PR is the pig sty of the USA.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This is hard to imagine. Puerto Rico lives on rum and pork.
Just intuitively I would think those pigs wouldn't stand a chance there.
That's just free food running around.
What diseases could they possibly have that cannot be solved by a deep roast?
People all over the world have been eating wild pigs forever.
Why are these pigs different?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online GtHawk

Maybe they should get some shipped to Cuba, you know humanitarian relief, gotta be better than eating rat.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

LOL

Good post
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline PeteS in CA

Maybe they should get some shipped to Cuba, you know humanitarian relief, gotta be better than eating rat.

Cuba already has a bay waiting for them. ****drummer
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

Similar in Hawaii... I have a friend who winters over there. Has a standing contract with a ranch... They fly him out and home, deducting the airfare out of his pay... Every year he builds a hooch out in the bush there, and knocks a pig or two in the head... He has to work of course, but his stay and his main food is entirely free.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I understand that some of them walk on all 4 feet.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@GtHawk

If we did that,we would then have to send people to PR to do the trapping. No way are PR's going to do any work unless it is at gunpoint.

If "It's not MY yob,man!" is not the island motto and on the island flag,it should be.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:06:11 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I saw where FDA, or Florida's equivalant is looking at allowing Python meat for restauarant fare.   As far as the Pot Bellies. Wonder how they taste.  Reg. Pork or feral?

@catfish1957

Depends on their diet. We used to trap wild hogs and then feed them corn for 30 days or so before butchering them. That was all it took to change the flavor.

And some people seem to  prefer the "wild" taste.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How’d they get all the way from Capital Hill to PR?

@skeeter

Junkets to PR to investigate the sexual habits of island girls.