Author Topic: China rejects U.S. calls to release Hong Kong fugitives  (Read 213 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
China rejects U.S. calls to release Hong Kong fugitives
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:23 pm »
China rejects U.S. calls to release Hong Kong fugitives

The Chinese Communist Party has rejected U.S. calls for the immediate release of 12 Hong Kong fugitives.

On Monday, a spokesperson for the U.S. Consulate in the southern city of Guangzhou made that demand in a statement, saying “China will stop at nothing to prevent its people from seeking freedom elsewhere.” The spokesperson added, the “only so-called crime was to flee tyranny.”

The trial for 10 out of the 12 pro-democracy activists began on Monday. The fugitives were accused of attempting to flee from the Chinese territory to Taiwan back in August. Two are facing additional charges for allegedly organizing the escape.

Later on Monday, a spokesperson for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Zhao Lijian, rejected the U.S.’s demands. Lijian insisted that America should stop interfering in the country’s internal affairs.

“The U.S. side’s remarks disregard the fact and confuse right and wrong,” stated the Chinese official. “China firmly opposes these remarks. China is a country under the rule of law where the laws must be followed and violations must be punished.”

He went on to insist the Chinese judicial body is handling the case in accordance to the law. However, supporters of the defendants are questioning these claims and are accusing the government of holding a secret trial.

“The unfair court proceeding is evidence of an obvious, draconian political persecution,” pro-democracy activist Owen Chow stated. “They have denied the access of families, lawyers, journalists and diplomats to attend the trial on the grounds that the auditorium was full, which renders the trial a de facto secret trial.”...........

https://www.oann.com/china-rejects-u-s-calls-to-release-hong-kong-fugitives/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.