Author Topic: Exposure to air pollution linked to memory loss equal to at least 10 EXTRA YEARS of aging, caution  (Read 197 times)

rangerrebew

Exposure to air pollution linked to memory loss equal to at least 10 EXTRA YEARS of aging, caution researchers

11/06/2020 / By Divina Ramirez

It turns out, breathing in polluted air doesn’t just negatively affect lung function. It may impair memory, too.

In a recent study, researchers from the University of Warwick in the UK found that people living in some of the most polluted districts of England have significantly poorer memory than people living in cleaner places.

Their findings also suggest that air pollution could age the brain by as much as 10 years. “When it comes to remembering a string of words, a 50-year-old in polluted Chelsea performs like a 60-year-old in Plymouth,” said co-author Andrew Oswald, who teaches economics and behavioral science at Warwick.

Their findings will be published in the journal Ecological Economics.

Exposure to air pollution ages the brain, affects memory

https://www.environ.news/2020-11-06-exposure-to-air-pollution-linked-to-memory-loss-equal-to-at-least-10-extra-years-of-aging-caution-researchers.html

rangerrebew

The clowns doing this "research" must not have been born when I was growing up in Michigan.  I remember very well going through cities, including the one where I lived, where you could actually see the pollutants in the air.  The stench was of factory slag.  In undergrad school I worked on the railroad and visited many such places on my runs to various cities.  Outside of Toledo, I remember a factory that made fiberglass and when we went by it, my arms would sting from the bits hanging in the area.  The Cayahoga River in Cleveland was so polluted, it actually once caught fire.  By this "research" I should probably be like a three year old.  But I'm 73 and doing quite well, thank you. :tongue2: