Author Topic: Losing our religion… history… and freedom  (Read 2687 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Losing our religion… history… and freedom
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2020, 04:01:15 pm »
Tying UDC as a entire organizationn to the KKK is slanderous and you know it.  You quickly have cemented yourself as the biggest liar and distorter at TBR.  Many now have also outted you on your left leaning agenda too.   It's the grace of the owners and admins that are mericful and tolerant that your sorry ass allows to exist here.  Never thought I would place a Briefer on the iggy list, but you've earned it, you POS.

Don't worry about Knoxy.  He made the Permaban list for trolling.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2020, 04:05:36 pm »

I love the smell of ozone in the morning...  :beer: :laugh:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2020, 04:16:21 pm »

Much thanks...   Knocks was a left wing troll who started his little visit here, falsely making himelf out as some form of a moderate republican.  But as is, with a rotton onion, when  peeling away the layers, the stink level increases in correlation.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2020, 06:06:37 pm »
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
@HoustonSam
@Knox27
Permit a reflection on your discussion of Slavery in the pre-Civil War South.
Rowan Helper, born in No. Carolina in 1829, was the son of a slave-owning farmer, who died
while he was an infant. Raised by a wealthy related family, he was well educated in economics.
Then in 1857, he authored "The Impending Crisis", addressing the impact of slavery on the
Southern economy, drawing several controversial yet powerful conclusions:
* The South was agrarian since the English arrived at Jamestown in 1607 and as decades passed, became sharply divided by economic class; which included Farmers, Laborers, Tradesmen
as well as Plantation Owners.
The former were entrepreneurs who survived/thrived in a low cost economic environment
while the Plantation Class faced a much greater cost structure driven by two factors of production:
(1) Land was of limited supply and the quality of raw cotton needed to produce the texture required to satisfy the demands of English Textile Producers; needed ongoing fertilization and irrigation
at significant cost.
(2) Slave Labor required further costs including transportation, housing and daily subsistence.
As a consequence, only a small minority in the South were Plantation Owners, who were able to sustain the maintenance of their Cotton Crops as well as the upkeep of their Slaves.
* As a result, modernization of the Agrarian Southern Economy was impeded/restricted since
political power was in the hands of a small yet powerful Plantation Class, preventing the South
from competing economically w/the North.
* Perhaps most critically, the focus on Cotton production made the South subject to any and all demands of its only and very powerful customer, the British Empire!
Helper argued that the sanctimonious moralizing of Northerners was pointless as economics would end Slavery in the South sooner rather than later.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2020, 06:13:31 pm »
Rowan Helper, born in No. Carolina in 1829, was the son of a slave-owning farmer, who died
while he was an infant. Raised by a wealthy related family, he was well educated in economics.
Then in 1857, he authored "The Impending Crisis", addressing the impact of slavery on the
Southern economy, drawing several controversial yet powerful conclusions:

I have not studied Helper or his book, but my understanding is the book was an economic criticism of slavery and an argument for its end on that basis.  By the time he published, the slavery controversy had become a complete lightning rod such that criticism of slavery was considered by many to be criticism of the South; the mere possession of his book was actually outlawed in some places.
James 1:20

Offline Absalom

« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2020, 10:25:08 pm »
I have not studied Helper or his book, but my understanding is the book was an economic criticism of slavery and an argument for its end on that basis.  By the time he published, the slavery controversy had become a complete lightning rod such that criticism of slavery was considered by many to be criticism of the South; the mere possession of his book was actually outlawed in some places.
--------------------------
As usual, you're on the mark.
In addition to being a very competent economist w/o a political ax to grind, Helper was clairvoyant about trade relations between Britain and the South.
As the Civil War progressed, the British realized that the South would lose; as such they would need a new supplier of raw cotton for their Mills yet they didn't have to look very far.
Baron Clive of Plassey was the first British Administrator of (East) Bengal/the Indian Raj; around the mid-18th century.
He had advised earlier Parliaments that the climate, geography and sea access of Bengal
to the British mainland was ideal for the production of raw cotton.
So when our Civil War ended, the British simply sent their ships to India rather than our Carolinas!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:54:09 am by Absalom »