Author Topic: The Military Designed Aircraft with Only Men in Mind. Now It Is Working to Change That  (Read 247 times)

rangerrebew

The Military Designed Aircraft with Only Men in Mind. Now It Is Working to Change That

23 Dec 2020
Special to McClatchy Washington Bureau | By Tara Copp

WASHINGTON — As a helicopter pilot in Iraq in 2004, now-Sen. Tammy Duckworth stopped drinking water hours before she climbed into the cockpit of her Army UH-60 Black Hawk for combat missions.

Even in Iraq’s heat, she’d purposefully dehydrate herself because there was not a safe way for her to use the restroom in her one-piece, zip-up flight suit.

“I would have to take off my side arm. I wore a shoulder holster, so I would have to take off my shoulder holster. Then I would have to take off my flight vest, my survival vest, then I would have to take off my body armor and then I would have to take off my flight suit in order to go to the bathroom,” said Duckworth, an Illinois Democrat.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/12/23/military-designed-aircraft-only-men-mind-now-it-working-change.html