Poll

Do you prefer reading electronic books (Kindle readers, etc) or a printed  book?

Old fashioned printed book
9 (37.5%)
Electronic books
2 (8.3%)
Both!
7 (29.2%)
Neither. I wait for the movie or tv miniseries to come out.
0 (0%)
Audio books
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: January 16, 2021, 07:59:14 pm

Author Topic: Do you prefer reading printed books or ebooks ?  (Read 1432 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Do you prefer reading printed books or ebooks ?
« on: December 17, 2020, 07:59:14 pm »
I’m getting a feel for what people generally like.

Do you like old fashioned books, reading books on an e reader or computer, or are you a fan of audio books? Or all three?

Up to three  votes per person, and guests can vote.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Do you prefer reading printed books or ebooks ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 08:09:08 pm »
I enjoy both but lately tend toward Kindle versions when avaliable.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:28:52 pm »
I enjoy reading the old fashioned printed books and the trip to the library and browsing the "new" books on the shelf.

I suppose if my eyesight deteriorated significantly, I'd switch to the audio books.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:29:21 pm »
E-books.  I can't abide Audible, for the same reason I don't like videos:  I am hard of hearing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:31:23 pm »
E-books.  I can't abide Audible, for the same reason I don't like videos:  I am hard of hearing.

Join the club.  I have a 50% hearing loss ... but that's where a good set of "ear buds" or a headset comes in handy.  I read lips very well and it's been problematic now for me with everyone wearing face masks.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »
Join the club.  I have a 50% hearing loss ... but that's where a good set of "ear buds" or a headset comes in handy.  I read lips very well and it's been problematic now for me with everyone wearing face masks.

Dittos.  People are starting to compensate by wildly gesticulating, and it's distracting as all get-out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 08:37:04 pm »
I enjoy both but lately tend toward Kindle versions when avaliable.
Ive been using Kindles for over 10 years now. Donated almost all of my hard bound books to the local library. The Kindle White is awesome.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 08:43:33 pm »
Ive been using Kindles for over 10 years now. Donated almost all of my hard bound books to the local library. The Kindle White is awesome.

Getting books from the library though still doesn't cost anything.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 08:50:05 pm »
Dittos.  People are starting to compensate by wildly gesticulating, and it's distracting as all get-out.

Indeed.

Online godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 09:01:34 pm »
I prefer printed, hardbacks when possible
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 10:12:02 pm »
I like printed books and magazines best too. Something wonderful about holding something and actually flipping pages.

I have to admit I’m also addicted to books on Audible. Listen to them in the car, and when I’m puttering around my apartment
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 10:49:10 pm »
I read lips very well and it's been problematic now for me with everyone wearing face masks.

I didn't even realize how important that is for me. And I am not particularly hard of hearing. But apparently I read not only lips, but faces too... And I have a hard time understanding without it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 11:11:53 pm »
I’m getting a feel for what people generally like.

Do you like old fashioned books, reading books on an e reader or computer, or are you a fan of audio books? Or all three?

Up to three  votes per person, and guests can vote.

I GREATLY prefer old school. The smell of the book, the texture... The turning of the pages... But now that I use glasses, and since I generally read often in bed, I just can't use em... I will turn over on my side, and the pillow throws my glasses cattywompus... Then I readjust and have to hold my neck just so... which soon enough gives me a crick.

But I am offended by electronic print. I am in front of it all day long as it is, and in that I do not find the pleasure I do from picking up a book. I DO like the font control. I like that I can read it without glasses. But the whole experience feels... well... plastic.

Not to mention the secondary offense - That I must replace my whole library with electronic versions - Paying for them all yet again. I have already done that with my Biblical and religious library for the searchability and the cost was enormous. And most of that was free online.

So I will hold out. Maybe someday Books will go the same way as music, and I will find a media to replace them for free. For now, I just don't read much for fun anymore.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 11:30:46 pm »
Lately, I "read books" on the MacBook, using an app called "Calibre" (which they may have for Windows, as well).

I scrounge the books up online, in "epub" format.

One nice thing about using a laptop and app like this is... if the text is a little small for one's aging eyes... it's a snap to "make it bigger". Not so easily done with a "print" book...

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 12:19:48 am »
I love a dead-tree book, and I love an electronic book as long as it's on a Kindle e-reader (with e-ink) and not a tablet/computer/phone.  I also love Audible for when I'm out walking, doing chores, etc.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 12:21:20 am »

Are you secretly me???
(Also - amen, sister!)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 09:21:49 am »
I didn't even realize how important that is for me. And I am not particularly hard of hearing. But apparently I read not only lips, but faces too... And I have a hard time understanding without it.
Lots of us are that way--another reason to hate masks. They seriously interfere with communication.

On topic, I love books, hard copy especially and have some over 250years old. Nothing feels or smells the same. But my eyes aren't what they used to be, and the adjustable contrast of an e-reader makes it easier to read. So, the modern stuff on the kindle, the old books in print.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 12:27:03 pm »
I voted both, because I do enjoy reading. However, most of my reading now is through Kindle. It stores a lot of books and is easy to travel with. With the Kindle app on my phone, I can read anywhere.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 01:22:07 pm »

Agreed entirely.  I am hard of hearing so there's that. 

And now, we have incessant virtual meetings.  It is amazing how masks interfere with the audio.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 01:26:16 pm »
I prefer books. But our library suks and the used book store closed. so I now mostly read e-books with kindle unlimited. What I save on gas traveling to get a book pays for the kinde subscription.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2020, 05:00:30 am »
I prefer books, but have read a number of electronic books.

When I first met my wife, she made fun of me because I only had three book cases.  At her parents home, they have bookcases lining every wall of every room.  No exaggeration.  She thought I did not read much.  But I had dozens of boxes of books stacked away here and there throughout my house.  Plus, I get books from the library too.

The irony is that now she reads ONLY electronic books, Kindle, etc, and I have bought about ten more bookcases, still have dozens of boxes filled with books, and have a storeroom filled with shelves of boxed books, and she thinks I am ridiculous with hardcover books, the space they take up, the dirt that collects and needs cleaned periodically, etc.  I love my books.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 05:01:28 am by jafo2010 »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 06:20:30 am »
I prefer books, but have read a number of electronic books.

When I first met my wife, she made fun of me because I only had three book cases.  At her parents home, they have bookcases lining every wall of every room.  No exaggeration.  She thought I did not read much.  But I had dozens of boxes of books stacked away here and there throughout my house.  Plus, I get books from the library too.

The irony is that now she reads ONLY electronic books, Kindle, etc, and I have bought about ten more bookcases, still have dozens of boxes filled with books, and have a storeroom filled with shelves of boxed books, and she thinks I am ridiculous with hardcover books, the space they take up, the dirt that collects and needs cleaned periodically, etc.  I love my books.
One thing about hard copy. The words never change when you go back to read it over.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 01:24:52 pm »
One thing about hard copy. The words never change when you go back to read it over.

And the batteries never die.
I will NOT comply.