Author Topic: New Macbooks using Apple's M1 Chip  (Read 479 times)

BassWrangler

New Macbooks using Apple's M1 Chip
« on: December 22, 2020, 07:05:29 am »
For those that didn't see the news, Apple has recently come out with Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, and Mac Mini models that use a processor (it's a whole SoC, actually) of their own design instead of the Intel or AMD processors used by other manufacturers. The main benefit of the chip are that it has a fantastically greater "performance per watt" value.

I had a very low end Intel-based Macbook Pro. I traded it in on the new low-end Macbook Air using Apple's M1 chip. Apple have finally bumped up minimum SSD space to 256GB. My old Macbook Pro was severely hamstrung by its small (128GB) SSD. Also, it was one of the models before Apple switched away from the defective keyboard. It was $400 for the new Macbook Air after the trade-in allowance.

The new Macbook is awesome. It's a completely fanless design, so it's silent. It's also cool - no more burnt legs from overheating Intel chips. Battery life is incredible. If you're on the fence about buying the new Macs, don't hesitate, because they are awesome. And things will only get better as more apps are optimized for the new chip.