Author Topic: INTERVIEW: RDML John Okon, Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command  (Read 156 times)

rangerrebew

INTERVIEW: RDML John Okon, Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command

Recently  the United States Navy  and NOAA signed an agreement to jointly expand the development and operations of unmanned maritime systems in the nation’s coastal and world’s ocean waters. RDML John Okon, Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command, shares his insights on the direction and pace of the use of unmanned maritime systems for the Navy’s future.

How and when you realized that yours would be a career dedicated to Oceanography?

Interesting, I never started out to have a career in Oceanography, but rather in Broadcast Meteorology. At NY Maritime College, I studied both Meteorology and Oceanography and became equally passionate about Oceanography. Thanks to the US Navy, we have a career field in both. As a young Officer I didn’t realize Naval Oceanography existed, but one day I had the pleasure to welcome aboard USS TICONDEROGA, AGC Benner and AG1 Skala as a Mobile Environmental Team. From that day forward I found a field and group of Sailors and Civilians that were passionate and dedicated to the sciences and protection of our Constitution. 25 years later ... here I am.

https://www.marinetechnologynews.com/news/interview-commander-naval-meteorology-606243