Author Topic: On his way to the ball, a Marine used his belt as a tourniquet to save a motorist’s life  (Read 164 times)

rangerrebew

On his way to the ball, a Marine used his belt as a tourniquet to save a motorist’s life

"There’s no Marines Hymn playing in the background as you run across the road; you just do something.”

By David Roza December 17, 2020

On his way to the ball, a Marine used his belt as a tourniquet to save a motorist’s life

A Marine’s quick thinking meant the difference between life and death for a motorist on an isolated desert road in California last year. Capt. Stephen Alexander, the executive officer for the Marines’ recruiting station in Dallas, was driving through Elora, California on his way to the Marine Corps ball to celebrate the service’s 245th birthday when a vehicle going the other way lost control and flipped onto its side.

“Once the vehicle came to a final stop, I pulled over immediately,” Alexander said in a press release. The Marine was awarded a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal in a ceremony in Texas on Dec. 11.

“There was a vehicle in front of me that also pulled over with [3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment] Marines,” said Alexander, who at the time of the incident was a first lieutenant with 3/4 stationed in California. “I’d never met them before; they were from a different company. We all ran over to the vehicle; at this point the vehicle was on its side and the driver was at the bottom and not coherent.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-saves-motorist-belt-tourniquet/