Author Topic: Radio, Airplanes, and World Wars: Next Steps for The Profession of Arms  (Read 165 times)

rangerrebew

Radio, Airplanes, and World Wars: Next Steps for The Profession of Arms

Mick Ryan | 12.15.20

Author’s note: This is the second in a series of articles about the profession of arms. Over the series, I will chart the modern development of our profession in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, examining that development through the lens of four themes that have driven and influenced it: events, technology, ideas, and institutions. I will then examine how change in the strategic environment will drive continued evolution in the profession of arms. Importantly, I will propose areas where we, as members of this profession, must lead change and ensure our military institutions remain effective—at every level—into the twenty-first century.

Read the first article in the series here.

Part One of this series examined the modern origins of the profession of arms. The nineteenth century was a vital era for our profession. Technological developments, changes in society, and new thinking inside and outside military organization drove a wave of professionalism and the establishment of new institutions. Sir John Hackett has written that “as the nineteenth century drew to a close, professionalism in the armed services was everywhere to a greater or lesser extent. Germany led the field. France set about putting her professional institutions in order. The United States evolved with remarkable speed a coherent system of military professionalism.”

https://mwi.usma.edu/radio-airplanes-and-world-wars-next-steps-for-the-profession-of-arms/