Author Topic: El Salvador Begins Implementation of Asylum Cooperative Agreement  (Read 216 times)

rangerrebew

El Salvador Begins Implementation of Asylum Cooperative Agreement

Published: 
Wed, Dec 16th 2020 @ 2:02 pm EST

According to a recent press release, “On December 15, 2020, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that the United States and El Salvador have concluded the implementation accords for the Asylum Cooperative Agreement (ACA) signed in September 2019. Under the ACA, certain migrants requesting asylum or similar humanitarian protection at the U.S. border will be transferred to El Salvador to seek protection in El Salvador.”

Acting Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf, stated on the implementation of the accord:

Implementation of the Asylum Cooperative Agreement between the United States and El Salvador is a critical step in the establishment of a truly regional approach to migration, and, more specifically, to the offer of protection to those migrants who are victims of persecution. I am grateful to the Government of El Salvador, and to President Bukele personally, for their commitment to the implementation of the ACA, and for the resulting expansion of avenues for protection available to persecuted migrants in the region.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/el-salvador-begins-implementation-asylum-cooperative-agreement

rangerrebew

Re: El Salvador Begins Implementation of Asylum Cooperative Agreement
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 02:48:19 pm »
ENFORCING an  agreement is vastly different than agreeing to it.  I have my doubts they will  enforce it vigorously but will probably get lots of money from the US to do it, which, historically, has been the pattern. :pondering: