Author Topic: Concern arises that Russian hackers may have accessed classified Pentagon information  (Read 210 times)

rangerrebew

Concern arises that Russian hackers may have accessed classified Pentagon information

A system dealing with classified material was shut down for "emergency" purposes, following recent revelations of the hacking of the Homeland Security Department, the Treasury Department and FireEye. The Pentagon did not comment on the matter

Ami Rojkes Dombe | 17/12/2020 Contact author

The Pentagon ordered the emergency shutdown of a classified internal communication network on Tuesday, three sources confirmed. The unprecedented shutdown followed recent revelations that the Homeland Security Department and other federal agencies were compromised by hackers.     

The Defense Department informed employees that the SIPRNET system was being shut down in the late morning for emergency software updates, sources told Just the News. The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for a comment, including on whether the shutdown was connected to the breach, allegedly by Russian agents, that was reported on Sunday.     

The system, called the Secret Internet Protocol Router Network, handles classified information, up to the secret level. It was said to have been shut down for several hours. "This has never happened in the middle of a work day," said a Pentagon official. "Updates usually are done on weekends and after hours late at night. This was done on an emergency basis."

https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/47178

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It was said to have been shut down for several hours. "This has never happened in the middle of a work day," said a Pentagon official. "Updates usually are done on weekends and after hours late at night. This was done on an emergency basis."

Gee I sure am glad voting machines are secure... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Knox27

Trump seems super hesitant to say anything bad about the Russians for committing a hostile act.

I wonder why? :silly: