Author Topic: GOP senator backs down from shutdown threat  (Read 279 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP senator backs down from shutdown threat
« on: December 18, 2020, 10:59:09 pm »
GOP senator backs down from shutdown threat
By Jordain Carney - 12/18/20 05:30 PM EST

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) said on Friday that he will let a stopgap government funding bill clear the Senate after getting reassurances from Senate leadership about a year-end deal to provide coronavirus relief.

"I have been assured by Senate GOP leadership that #COVID direct assistance to working people IS in the #covid relief bill under negotiation & will remain. And on that basis, I will consent to a brief continuing resolution to allow negotiations to conclude," Hawley tweeted on Friday.

Hawley's tweet comes hours after he warned that he would not let Senate leadership speed up consideration of a days-long continuing resolution (CR) that is needed to prevent a government shutdown starting on Saturday without details on what was in a yet-to-be-reached coronavirus agreement.

Because the COVID-19 relief negotiations are tied to a $1.4 trillion package to fund the government, Congress needs to either pass the deal or a stopgap bill on Friday night in order to prevent a shutdown.

"I'd like to see some indication of what we're moving toward. ... So I'm not going to allow a CR to go through until I know what's actually in the package," Hawley said earlier Friday.

When a reporter noted that he sounded frustrated, Hawley said the situation was "beginning to reach the point of absurdity" and that it was "time for leadership to put on the table what they've got."

The House appears poised to pass a two-day continuing resolution which would fund the government through Sunday in an effort to buy negotiators more time.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/530922-gop-senator-backs-down-from-shutdown-threat
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: GOP senator backs down from shutdown threat
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:54:19 pm »
Wow.  Imagine that.  GOP backing down.  Who would have guessed?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 12:23:17 am »
Wow.  Imagine that.  GOP backing down.  Who would have guessed?

I'm waiting to see if he's condemned as Trump was for the deficit.  @roamer_1?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:44:06 am »
I'm waiting to see if he's condemned as Trump was for the deficit.  @roamer_1?

@Cyber Liberty

Oh hell yes. If he backs down he puts his name on it all the same, regardless of assurances. Deals with the devil do not impress me... which should be a predictable end at this point.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 01:46:48 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Oh hell yes. If he backs down he puts his name on it all the same, regardless of assurances. Deals with the devil do not impress me... which should be a predictable end at this point.

:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: