Author Topic: Virginia names civil rights pioneer to replace Robert E. Lee statue in U.S. Capitol  (Read 392 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Virginia’s special history commission on Wednesday picked Barbara Rose Johns, a lesser-known civil rights pioneer who led an early school desegregation effort, as the figure it wants to send to Washington to replace the state’s current statue of Robert E. Lee in the hallowed halls of the U.S. Capitol.

Brushing aside suggestions of founding-era heroes such as James Madison or Patrick Henry, and 20th Century statesman George C. Marshall, the commission said it wanted someone schoolchildren would identify with — and Johns, who was a teen in 1951 led a strike at her Virginia high school to demand facilities like white students had, fit the bill.

The local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People sued on the students’ behalf, in a case that would get wrapped up as part of the historic Brown v. Board of Education decision that outlawed segregated schools.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/dec/16/robert-e-lee-be-replaced-barbara-rose-johns-capito/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

I would be happy to take the Lee statue off their hands. It turns out I'm descended from one of his brothers. Uncle Bobby!

Edit to add: I may be mistaken; my direct ancestor may be a brother of Robert E. Lee's grandfather. Still trying to sort it out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 03:19:11 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I would be happy to take the Lee statue off their hands. It turns out I'm descended from one of his brothers. Uncle Bobby!

Wow...  that's some serious impressive genealogical linkage.  That means you are probably 3rd or 4th cousins of his present descendants.

Here is your ancestor...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lee_III
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 03:25:40 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

If this BS keeps up visiting Capitol Hill will be as interesting as touring most of what the Smithsonian museum has become. One big lecture in how sh*tty the US has been to minorities.

Online mountaineer

Figured it out: my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was the brother of Robert E. Lee's father. Close enough! Ship the statue forthwith.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Figured it out: my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was the brother of Robert E. Lee's father. Close enough! Ship the statue forthwith.

I have been severely disappointed in the SCV, in their silence in dealing with the statue issue.  At worst, they should have secured a location in a politically friendly area, and created a park with all the downed statues.  Then add and pay for security of said park.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

The local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People sued on the students’ behalf, in a case that would get wrapped up as part of the historic Brown v. Board of Education decision that outlawed segregated schools.

How about a statue of Dwight Eisenhower, the Republican who actually did desegregate that school.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-