Author Topic: 15 incredible benefits from reading every day  (Read 597 times)

Offline libertybele

15 incredible benefits from reading every day
« on: December 17, 2020, 07:49:19 pm »
The article is a little dated .... but good info to know.  Reading improves memory -- BONUS!

15 incredible benefits from reading every day

1. Promotes mental health
2. Reduces stress
3. Improves general knowledge
4. More empathetic
5. Expands vocabulary
6. Improves writing skills
7. Stronger analytical thinking skills
8. Improves memory
9. Improves focus and concentration
10. Free entertainment
11. Boosts sleep
12. Inner tranquility
13. You become better at conversations
14. Reading is a workout for your brain
15. Reading is contagious

https://ideapod.com/15-incredible-benefits-reading-read-every-day/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: 15 incredible benefits from reading every day
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 07:50:03 pm »
Thanks @libertybele
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:42:21 pm »
Number 11 is a big deal with me, unfortunately. Try as I might I can’t keep my eyes open to read for more than 30 minutes.

Offline libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:56:42 pm »
Number 11 is a big deal with me, unfortunately. Try as I might I can’t keep my eyes open to read for more than 30 minutes.

Well ... that's still 30 minutes of reading time.  Sometimes I can't stay awake either and other times I read for hours.

As a kid I remember putting a blanket down under a tree and reading for a long time; finishing several books a week.

The last book that I read in less than 2 days was Ted Cruz "A Time For Truth".

I normally on average only read a book or two a month. 

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:16:28 am »
Reading has been a primary element of my life, all of my life.  I can remember one of my first books, I owned, was a kid's version of a biography of Abraham Lincoln.  I remember that book like it was yesterday.  I remember my mother coming up at 4AM or 5AM when I was young, and I would be curled up in a chair reading through the night.  She would shake her head and tell me to get some sleep.

I ended up with a degree in English, degree in History, and worked on a graduate degree in Business/Information Systems.  And much of my life entailed work that required reading extensive detailed tech materials.  I got bored as IT Director for a media company and went off to be a publisher of a small newspaper for a company that turned out to fall into what I consider ruthless. 

I never kept count how many books I read in a single year.  Maybe 30, perhaps more.

I started writing my first book, nonfiction, and had someone interested in publishing it.  It has been sitting here, unfinished for awhile now.  I have about two week's work remaining roughly.  I need to get focused with my life and get back to being productive.