Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 83983 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2023, 06:07:42 am »
Lessons in Chemistry-by Bonnie Garmus
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2023, 12:07:43 pm »
Re-reading an old favorite - Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2023, 02:38:11 pm »
"The Crooked Staircase" by Dean Koontz.

It has a female lead named Jane Hawk.

Really good plot,but I have to admit I am getting tired of his habit of using 17 words when 3 would have done it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2023, 05:24:42 pm »
I really enjoyed the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2023, 09:08:02 pm »
I started re-reading the Harry Potter series recently. I'm currently on Book 3, "The Prisoner of Azkaban".
Let it burn.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #480 on: April 05, 2023, 10:22:39 pm »
I really enjoyed the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz.

@mountaineer

You don't think it's  kinda "wordy"?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #481 on: April 05, 2023, 11:52:06 pm »
No, I like his descriptive language.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #482 on: April 06, 2023, 12:37:45 am »
No, I like his descriptive language.

@mountaineer

Then you should love "The Crooked Staircase".

Online mountaineer

« Reply #483 on: April 06, 2023, 01:38:58 am »
I've read dozens of Koontz books. I wish I'd made a list, in order to know which should be next.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2023, 11:51:27 am »
I just got a great book for a holiday present .

“A most Interesting Lady:A Novel”
By Sarah Ferguson Duchess of York

It’s set in Victorian England and so far I’m enjoying it.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #485 on: April 07, 2023, 03:17:19 pm »
I just got a great book for a holiday present .

“A most Interesting Lady:A Novel”
By Sarah Ferguson Duchess of York

It’s set in Victorian England and so far I’m enjoying it.

@Gefn

I had no idea she was an  aspiring author,but am glad to hear she is a good one.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #486 on: April 18, 2023, 07:03:13 pm »
@Gefn

I had no idea she was an  aspiring author,but am glad to hear she is a good one.

She seems to be, it’s an enjoyable read @sneakypete

Online mountaineer

« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2023, 10:35:19 pm »
I went to the library today, hoping to find "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury, which I had read many years ago and really enjoyed. Alas, the only RB book they had was "Death is a Lonely Business." I'm slogging my way through it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #488 on: May 08, 2023, 10:37:59 pm »
This thread.  :shrug:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2023, 05:45:06 pm »
Just finished The Cotillion Brigade by Glen Craney, a fictionalized account of the Nancy Hart Rifles, a group of Georgia women who formed a militia to guard their town against the feared Yankee attack. The book also tracks the wartime experiences of Union officer O. Hugh LaGrange, a staunch abolitionist, who ultimately encounters the "Nancy Harts." Very entertaining, well-written, and even-handed.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2023, 10:02:43 pm »
Currently reading "In the Heart of the Sea", the story of the Essex, a whaling ship that was attacked and sunk by a rogue whale in November 1820. It was so far into the Pacific that it was months before a handful of survivors were rescued from the ship's whale-chase boats, after resorting to cannibalism to stay alive. Quite a tale!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2023, 10:07:06 pm »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #492 on: May 28, 2023, 02:15:03 am »
I just finished up Clarence Thomas’ autobiography, “My Grandfather’s Son”.  It’s an excellent read. Highly recommend it.
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2023, 12:06:17 am »
Reading Lee Child's No Plan B, and I am struggling to get through it.  I am a huge Jack Reacher fan, the character in Lee's books, but this book is cumbersome.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #494 on: July 30, 2023, 12:11:22 am »
Nelson DeMille's "The Maze," which involves the Gilgo Beach murders of prostitutes but was written and published a year or two before the recent arrest of Rex Heuermann for the murders. It's moderately entertaining so far (I'm probably 1/3 through it).

Update: Finished it the other day. Not one of his best. His protagonist, John Corey, is becoming tiresome. The first 97% of the book was just Corey, constantly wise-cracking, telling us how he was going get the goods on the bad guys and give all the evidence to the feds. Then there's finally some action, everything goes wrong, the evidence burns up and Corey ends up killing most of the bad guys. The end.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 01:10:33 pm by mountaineer »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #495 on: July 30, 2023, 12:46:29 am »
Self ping in case I can remember to bring the book I am currently reading into the house tomorrow.

I now have a tendency to keep my books in my car because it gives me an excuse to go to some public place to drink coffee,read books,and maybe communicate with  other humans occasionally.

Self ping in case I can remember to bring the book I am currently reading into the house tomorrow.

I now have a tendency to keep my books in my car because it gives me an excuse to go to some public place to drink coffee,read books,and maybe communicate with  other humans occasionally.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Gefn

Ok,maybe my  all-time favorite writer is W.E.B Griffin. I got hooked on him when,by pure chance,I happened to buy the first book in his "Brotherhood of War" series,titled "The Lieutenants". This series starts in pre-WW-2 Korea,and introduces the first of many characters whose military careers are followed in the following series.

It's main character is a lowly USMC Corporal truck driver that seems to  be in charge of running supply convoys to remote outposts,and spying on the Koreans while doing so. He ends up  earning the nick-name "Killer McCoy". I won't mention how or why he got it and what happens with/to him afterwards because I don't want to spoil your fun.

As with all his books,there will be mentions  of actual battles that took place in each  time frame.

Each series of books follows the careers of McCoy and the other main characters as they enter the scene and intermingle,and the series goes right up to war in present times (the 1970's-80's when the books were written)

I will tell you this,when he gets into SF operations,I knew several of the people he was writing about even though  he changed their names. He couldn't have possibly known those details without interviewing them or someone VERY closely involved in those operations.

He tells the stories so well he ended up being made an Honorary Member of the Special Operations Association,and AFAIK,he is the only one ever given that honor.

BUT....,do yourself a huge favor and start with this book,and then read your way forward.

BTW,do NOT expect a lot of blood and guts being flung around in graphic detail. These people are more along the line of historic events being described,than blood and guts being blown around.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Lieutenants-W-E-B-Griffin-audiobook/dp/B006SV7OVS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1H6DL58NRFWHF&keywords=web+griffin+books&qid=1690678034&sprefix=web+gri%2Caps%2C423&sr=8-6
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 01:07:36 am by sneakypete »

Offline verga

« Reply #496 on: July 31, 2023, 01:02:03 pm »
Made a deal with a co worker to give each other a book selection to read over the summer. I gave her "Count of Monte Cristo" she finished it in about a week. She gave me "Anna Karenina" 820 pages of drunk Russians cheating on their spouses. The book is very interesting and well written, but Tolstoy has about 80 characters that appear for about 5 pages and then not again. He will go of on these philosophical tangents, that make you put the book down and reflect.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #497 on: July 31, 2023, 06:41:15 pm »
Made a deal with a co worker to give each other a book selection to read over the summer. I gave her "Count of Monte Cristo" she finished it in about a week. She gave me "Anna Karenina" 820 pages of drunk Russians cheating on their spouses. The book is very interesting and well written, but Tolstoy has about 80 characters that appear for about 5 pages and then not again. He will go of on these philosophical tangents, that make you put the book down and reflect.

Tolstoy is magnificent. Philosophical teasers, always. That dude was bent.  happy77

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #498 on: July 31, 2023, 10:17:30 pm »
Currently reading "They Fought Back", an anthology of stores of Jewish resistance against the Germans in WWII.

I had to buy this as a paperback book (from abebooks), couldn't scrounge up a digital version.

After reading digital books almost exclusively for the last few years, I've come to a realization:
E-books and a good laptop computer (or possibly an iPad or Android tablet) make for a far BETTER reading experience.

Some of the advantages of e-reading:
- No more fighting for light (the pages are backlit)
- No fighting to keep the book open (the screen is open in front of you, using a laptop, very relaxing)
- No squinting at small text that you can't change (with an e-book, you make the text however large or small as you wish)
- As easy, or easier, to "keep your place" (bookmarks, etc.)
- Saving an excerpt is as easy and copy and paste (impossible with bound book, just copy and paste with an e-book)
- Illustrations can often be enlarged (try that with a bound book)

If you've got a laptop, you owe it to yourself to try this.
Use the free software called "Calibre" -- it can read "epub" and "mobi" formats (mobi is "Kindle" format).
On the Mac, the "Books" app can also read these, but I find Calibre to be better.

Scrounge up an ebook (in both formats) from anywhere you can find one.
I'd suggest at "the internet archive".
Then give it a try.

I'll read the analog/physical book I have now, because that was the only option available.

But in the future... if it's available in digital format... don't bother me with a bound book. I've found the better way.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #499 on: July 31, 2023, 10:31:13 pm »
Currently reading "They Fought Back", an anthology of stores of Jewish resistance against the Germans in WWII.

I had to buy this as a paperback book (from abebooks), couldn't scrounge up a digital version.

After reading digital books almost exclusively for the last few years, I've come to a realization:
E-books and a good laptop computer (or possibly an iPad or Android tablet) make for a far BETTER reading experience.

Some of the advantages of e-reading:
- No more fighting for light (the pages are backlit)
- No fighting to keep the book open (the screen is open in front of you, using a laptop, very relaxing)
- No squinting at small text that you can't change (with an e-book, you make the text however large or small as you wish)
- As easy, or easier, to "keep your place" (bookmarks, etc.)
- Saving an excerpt is as easy and copy and paste (impossible with bound book, just copy and paste with an e-book)
- Illustrations can often be enlarged (try that with a bound book)

If you've got a laptop, you owe it to yourself to try this.
Use the free software called "Calibre" -- it can read "epub" and "mobi" formats (mobi is "Kindle" format).

@Fishrrman

Ok,the Kindle I bought just came  in today,and  I am going nuts trying to figure out  what my "password for my internet provider/service" is. Tried everything in my saved files about wi-fi connections,and nothing works.