Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 82676 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2020, 06:42:34 pm »
I like history novels. Gulag Archipelago is a must.

Gulag Archipelago isn't a historical novel (and at some 2700 pages in paperback, not a quick read). One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is, though.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2020, 07:08:17 pm »
I just started "The Lies of Locke Lamora".
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2020, 11:48:58 pm »
Gulag Archipelago isn't a historical novel (and at some 2700 pages in paperback, not a quick read). One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is, though.

uh huh

tomato... Gulag Archipelago traces the history of the system of forced labor camps that existed in the Soviet Union from 1918 to 1956...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2020, 07:16:10 am »
Looks like this has worked out nicely with folks talking about what they are reading. 

Sneakypete...I have been looking over L'Amour books for sale.  Looks like about 122 of them roughly.  I wanted to ask if you knew places to buy used books at good prices, better perhaps than Ebay?  Prices for L'Amour on Ebay for the brown leatherette books is about $5-6+ a book.  There are two folks that have almost all the books for around $1,000+.  I have a hard time dropping that much coin at one time on books.  So, it would be nice if I could find a better priced site.

That question would apply to anyone that knows better sources for books priced reasonably.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2020, 07:28:27 am »
Looks like this has worked out nicely with folks talking about what they are reading. 

Sneakypete...I have been looking over L'Amour books for sale.  Looks like about 122 of them roughly.  I wanted to ask if you knew places to buy used books at good prices, better perhaps than Ebay?  Prices for L'Amour on Ebay for the brown leatherette books is about $5-6+ a book.  There are two folks that have almost all the books for around $1,000+.  I have a hard time dropping that much coin at one time on books.  So, it would be nice if I could find a better priced site.

That question would apply to anyone that knows better sources for books priced reasonably.

If I might - Just buy the paperbacks for now and see if you like  them... I bought over 50 of them for a buck a piece at a local used book shop here. I AM looking for the hardbacks and will find them before I am done, to replace those I had before... But the paperbacks will do for now, and at a pittance.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2020, 07:40:42 am »

@jafo2010g

This one is going to be tough to beat:

https://www.amazon.com/Louis-Lamour-Paperback-NovelsShort-StoriesSackett/dp/B00DQCL0US

This is a collection of all of the Sacketts paperpacks that are new:

https://www.amazon.com/Sacketts-Six-Box-Set-Daybreakers/dp/B0031NW6BE/ref=pd_lpo_14_t_1/134-0064900-3752072?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0031NW6BE&pd_rd_r=2d21e27f-061e-4c33-93d7-e6e5feb63777&pd_rd_w=MMdL5&pd_rd_wg=JGJoO&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=FTXFKXTXW05JYNHY9YAQ&psc=1&refRID=FTXFKXTXW05JYNHY9YAQ

https://www.ebay.com/b/Louis-LAmour-Books-Western/171228/bn_56928876?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-153677-346401-4&mkcid=2&keyword=&crlp=307364301297_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=dsa-19959388920&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=9009866&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=1615587334&sitelnk=&adgroupid=66643712052&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlY7KkY7m7QIVC4eGCh0w0Q_dEAAYAiAAEgI5-fD_BwE

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 07:44:07 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2020, 09:34:32 am »

https://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Louis-L%27Amour

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/louis-l'amour?cm_mmc=ggl-_-COM_DSAETA_SRPs-_-naa-_-naa&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlZH_BRCgARIsAAZHSBklmBvylriLKYt8bR3sH9auQj4KSJsNsAWO-iKfLXQt-eDSIVwrMDAaAvtSEALw_wcB

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »

Unless you want to purchase and hold on to the books, you can read them for free at the library.  I looked on my local library site and they are available. Just sayin'.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »
Unless you want to purchase and hold on to the books, you can read them for free at the library.  I looked on my local library site and they are available. Just sayin'.

Only IF they happen to be on the approved stacks list at your local library! Just sayin!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2020, 04:18:32 pm »
I'm reading exactly nothing as my precious republic is now DEAD, I soon will be, and there no longer is a thing I can do about either.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2020, 09:38:03 pm »
I'm reading exactly nothing as my precious republic is now DEAD, I soon will be, and there no longer is a thing I can do about either.

No it isn't. Read. Something. I know how you feel. But I ain't as strong as you. I fight in the same war. You fought at a different level. But still, same as me. Better dead than red.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2020, 09:42:40 pm »
I just finished book 78. the ruins of earth

Alien invasion where they come to enslave us. But a group of patriots are fighting back. Book 1. Start book 2 tonite.

My goal was 100 books this year. If I hit 80 I'll be good with that.

Beats watching teebee. Something I've lost the habit for.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2020, 11:59:29 pm »
Only IF they happen to be on the approved stacks list at your local library! Just sayin!

@Bigun

I seriously doubt there is such a thing as a library in America that doesn't approve his books.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2020, 05:55:52 am »
Mao's Little Red Book...Sun Tsu, a few technical bits here and there I had archived long ago...PM8--94
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2020, 10:15:19 pm »
Thank you all for the guidance.  Regarding paperbacks, I prefer hardbacks usually because the print is a hair larger, and I like the feel of a hardback more so than a paperback.  But it is largely the ease of reading.

And because all of you sing L'Amour's praises so highly, I am jumping in with both feet.  I prefer to read chronologically.  I have a bid on 79 of the books right now for a reasonable price.  I will buy another lot to get the books I do not get from the first lot, and sell off the duplicates.  And begin reading, starting with Hondo.

Merry Christmas to all!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2020, 11:24:19 pm »
For Louis L'Amour fans:

73 L'Amour works here (in epub):
https://www.torrentdownloads.me/torrent/1660781221/Louis-L%27Amour

L'Amour lost treasures (unpublished works, unfinished manuscripts, lost notes, etc.):
https://kat-cr.co/t0-Louis_L_Amour-Lost_Treasures_Vol.2-tt35034354.html

L'Amour 127 ebooks in epub format:
https://kikass.to/louis-l-amour-127-e-books-t2759300.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2020, 11:56:36 pm »

And because all of you sing L'Amour's praises so highly, I am jumping in with both feet.  I prefer to read chronologically.  I have a bid on 79 of the books right now for a reasonable price.  I will buy another lot to get the books I do not get from the first lot, and sell off the duplicates.  And begin reading, starting with Hondo.

@jafo2010

You ain't just "awoofing",are you?

The good news is you will be happy you did by the end of book two.

L'Amour was a rare genius when it comes to being a writer. The closest author that comes to mind as a comparison is James Fenimore Cooper.

Offline thackney

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2020, 04:09:01 pm »
Thank you all for the guidance.  Regarding paperbacks, I prefer hardbacks usually because the print is a hair larger, and I like the feel of a hardback more so than a paperback.  But it is largely the ease of reading.

I must admit, this is the primary reason I moved to using the Kindle.  I can set the print large enough to read without my glasses.  Also, I can reverse it so I get white print on black background for reading in bed at night.  I turn the brightness WAY down, turn off most of the blue light for an amber print with the room dark. 
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2020, 07:53:34 pm »
I must admit, this is the primary reason I moved to using the Kindle.  I can set the print large enough to read without my glasses.  Also, I can reverse it so I get white print on black background for reading in bed at night.  I turn the brightness WAY down, turn off most of the blue light for an amber print with the room dark.

@thackney

:yowsa: :yowsa:

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2020, 06:57:44 am »
I didn't know you can invert the background and words.  I will have to tell my wife.  She uses Kindle.

Offline thackney

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »
I didn't know you can invert the background and words.  I will have to tell my wife.  She uses Kindle.

I have a lot of sleep problems.  When I give up in the night, I like to read.  This projects far less light than even a single reading lamp on the pages of a real book.

This lets me stay in bed rather than go to another room to prevent waking my wife.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2020, 04:50:02 pm »
I have a lot of sleep problems.  When I give up in the night, I like to read.  This projects far less light than even a single reading lamp on the pages of a real book.

This lets me stay in bed rather than go to another room to prevent waking my wife.

@thackney

I originally bought my first Kindle as a backup in case of a power outage during storms. Back them I was doing a lot of reading.

Now I don't read at all except message boards. Due to the flue,and I AM going to blame it on that,thank you very much,I can no longer hold a thought long enough to read books. Hell,if it weren't for being able to "rewind",I wouldn't be able to watch tv because I can forget what happened 10 minutes ago if I get distracted by something.

I do semi-ok here because none of the reading is any longer than my attention span.

For the time being,anyway.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2020, 05:03:54 pm »

I do the same thing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2020, 08:39:38 pm »

Well no, as someone peculiarly sensitive to light, and particularly light emitted by devices, Just because it's black does not mean it isn't light. Every means of artificial light, to include every sort of monitor of every kind is shut off at 11pm around here. Even the TV.  If I need light after that, it is natural light.

If I don't shut em off, I will never get tired.

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2020, 01:54:36 am »
Ordered a book with four L'Amour books, and it has Hondo.  For whatever reason, many of the lots on Ebay, etc do not have Hondo, so I thought I would order this book with three of the first four books By L'Amour.

I am also bidding on one of the leatherette lots at a reasonable price for me.  Will know tomorrow if I get it.

Some of these folks want an arm and a leg.