Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 83995 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2022, 10:58:24 pm »
Currently reading:
Farnham's Freehold by R. Heinlein. It's ok...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2022, 11:39:12 pm »
I'm re-reading books I hadn't looked at since High School....1984 and Animal Farm.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #352 on: March 03, 2022, 10:53:33 am »
Haven't picked up a book in a couple months.  Not like me, but then again, I haven't worked two jobs ever, and now I am.  At 68, I miss my reading. 

I almost do not have any down time.  Eventually, I will need to cut back something.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #353 on: March 03, 2022, 11:40:50 am »
I'm re-reading books I hadn't looked at since High School....1984 and Animal Farm.

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

I’ve been reading textbooks and things about Russian history, trying to understand current world events. I had a few world history courses in HS and college, but I’ve forgotten some of it in my old age.

I also am reading a bio on Putin. It’s really good and again is a big help to understand what’s going on.

I’m also reading a book by Nostradamus.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2022, 02:31:06 am »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #355 on: May 06, 2022, 05:23:31 am »
Usually, just two things, the news (here and few other places) and the Bible nightly. I am a slow reader.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline verga

« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2022, 12:49:59 pm »
Usually, just two things, the news (here and few other places) and the Bible nightly. I am a slow reader.
Right now I am reading the Clive Cussler, Oregon Files. I read Dirk Cussler's Continuation of the Dirk Pitt series, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Slightly different format than Clive used, but still a good read.
I did Pre-order Jack Du Brul's continuation of the Isaac Bell series. That comes out Nov. 8th.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2022, 01:41:01 pm »
I'm currently getting through a list of David Baldacci novels (with a little hiccup, when I read "The Catcher in the Rye." Ugh). The one I finished yesterday was "Wish You Well," which was beautifully written. It's about the Appalachian mountains of Virginia and the lives of people in 1940. Very moving.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2022, 02:22:32 pm »
Re-reading 1984.  I read slower as well.  I'm on the chapter where Winston is reading "The Book."

It's a package book, Animal Farm is next.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2022, 02:30:31 pm »
I'm currently getting through a list of David Baldacci novels ...

@mountaineer

Good stuff!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2022, 02:33:35 pm »
Good stuff!
Yes, very good. Once I read a book I like, I tend to read everything the author has written until I've exhausted the library's supply. There's still a large number of unread Baldacci books at our library.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2022, 02:51:11 pm »
Yes, very good. Once I read a book I like, I tend to read everything the author has written until I've exhausted the library's supply. There's still a large number of unread Baldacci books at our library.

@mountaineer

I am currently reading a James Patterson novel I picked up at the cancer docs waiting room. I,and others,occasionally make "book drops" there for the patients to read while they are undergoing chemo and other treatments,and I sometimes take one home with me.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2022, 03:23:10 pm »
Right now I am reading the Clive Cussler, Oregon Files. I read Dirk Cussler's Continuation of the Dirk Pitt series, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Slightly different format than Clive used, but still a good read.
I did Pre-order Jack Du Brul's continuation of the Isaac Bell series. That comes out Nov. 8th.

I ought to pick Cussler back up... Somewhere right around Sahara I put him down and wandered off... Suspension of belief was becoming an effort.

Offline verga

« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2022, 03:25:33 pm »
I ought to pick Cussler back up... Somewhere right around Sahara I put him down and wandered off... Suspension of belief was becoming an effort.
I think you might like the Isaac Bell stuff. Not a formulaic as the Pitt series and he weaves a good tale in them.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2022, 03:27:44 pm »
I think you might like the Isaac Bell stuff. Not a formulaic as the Pitt series and he weaves a good tale in them.

Thank you... I will look into that.  :beer:

Offline verga

« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2022, 06:01:41 pm »
Thank you... I will look into that.  :beer:
Just a quick heads up, they mostly go in chronological order, but one of them, I can't remember which is his first case with the agency. There is also a "crossover" with Dirk Pitt.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2022, 10:27:28 pm »
Last book:
"Lonesome Melodies", a biography of The Stanley Brothers (of Virginia), Ralph and Carter.

Current book:
"Agenda 21 - Into the Shadows", the second "Agenda 21" novel by Glenn Beck and  Harriet Parke.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2022, 11:27:37 pm »
Last book:
"Lonesome Melodies", a biography of The Stanley Brothers (of Virginia), Ralph and Carter.

Current book:
"Agenda 21 - Into the Shadows", the second "Agenda 21" novel by Glenn Beck and  Harriet Parke.

@Fishrrman

You a bluegrass fan?

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2022, 07:32:22 am »
Struggling to get back reading.  Have been reading the latest Clancy book.  Hard to stick with it.  I consider it the worst book to date by Clancy. 

Daniel DeSilva is the author I selected to read next.  Read his first book, and have been accumulating the others.  Have about 15 so far.  First one was ok.  WWII spy story.

I thought Cussler had good stories, but I like W.E.B. Griffin more.  Griffin died a few years ago, and it saddens me that his writing has come to an end.  He was top of my list for getting new books out.  I would read them in a day.  Supposedly, there is a ghost writer and they are issuing a new book in his name, or perhaps it has come out already.  I just read where this was happening. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2022, 10:51:44 am »
Our library didn't have Mark Twain's The Innocents Abroad, so I settled for a collection of his "little-known" short stories and other works - The Hidden Mark Twain - and it's been quite entertaining. There were more than a few laugh out loud moments.

Now I have to remember why I wanted to find The Innocents Abroad:pondering:

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2022, 01:31:34 am »
Finished the Clancy book.  The final quarter of the book made up for the rest being so slow.  The end was great!

Reading the second book by Daniel Silva, and it is well written.  Enjoying every page of The Mark of the Assassin.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #371 on: June 22, 2022, 10:08:31 pm »
I'm reading a 2008 book by David Baldacci, The Whole Truth, and it's stunning how many parallels there are to what's going on right now, complete with rising worldwide fuel prices because the world is shunning Russia for its perceived aggression.
Nicolas Creel, a super-rich arms dealer, decides that the best way to boost his business is to start a new cold war - and he won't let anything or anyone get in his way.

As international tensions rise and the superpowers line up against each other, the lives of three very different people will never be the same again.  ...
It's all phony, invented by defense contractor Creel and his PR guy, and spread via social media.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #372 on: June 22, 2022, 10:17:23 pm »
Right now:
Coming Apart, by Charles Murray.

Before that:
The Hill of the Ravens.
(that's all I'll say about that one, you would almost certainly not approve of it)

Offline libertybele

« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2022, 06:11:38 pm »
I've had this book on the shelf for a couple of years and ever got around to reading it.

"Clean House", Tom Fitton, Judicial Watch -- Exposing our government's secrets and lies.

Interesting; he touches upon Voter Fraud and election integrity during the Obama administration.

Looking at what has happened recently the DOJ has gotten worse and still has no interest in truly investigating voter fraud; nor does our SCOTUS!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #374 on: August 22, 2022, 02:23:14 am »
Lords of the Sky
Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16

Dan Hampton

On Deck: Yankees and Rebels on the Upper Missouri
Steamboats, Gold, and Peace

by Ken Robison.

My 'escapist' reading is taking me back into the past, any more, as it seems future visions are just too saturated with wokester dreck.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis