Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84197 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2021, 08:46:30 am »

A great story about my favorite airplane.
I'll have to check that out. (My favorite, too).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2021, 08:49:56 am »
Some people think this is the source of "gulf war syndrome" that has been reported by so many GW veterans

@BassWrangler

I'm with "some people".
Me, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2021, 08:50:56 am »
It would make sense. The only other theory I've heard that seems plausible is exposure to the chemical agents that we know Saddam had at one point.
Now that you mention those, either or both may be causative. Nasty stuff is nasty stuff, and there are a host of symptoms for the syndrome.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2021, 11:02:59 am »
Now that you mention those, either or both may be causative. Nasty stuff is nasty stuff, and there are a host of symptoms for the syndrome.

@BassWrangler  @Smokin Joe

And I have no doubt whatsoever there are chemical compounds in existence that none of us have even heard rumors about.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

BassWrangler

« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2021, 08:45:48 pm »
@BassWrangler  @Smokin Joe

And I have no doubt whatsoever there are chemical compounds in existence that none of us have even heard rumors about.

@sneakypete - yes, you got to figure the Soviets and ChiComs have chemical weapons research going on.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2021, 09:14:54 pm »
Ice-9.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2021, 04:05:15 am »
I have been reading L'Amour books, enjoying them.  His writing gets better with each book.

This will make you laugh.  I am having western dreams.  Like I am Utah Blaine, etc  Vivid dreams.  I woke up one morning exhausted after being chased all night.

BTW, I tested positive for COVID.  I think this is the 2nd time I am having this.  I believe I had it in January, 2020.  Pretty debilitating.  I was so weak yesterday, it took all my energy to stand up out of a chair.  Talk about weak!!!

This is a bio weapon.  No mystery about it, and we have an administrator that is a pawn of China as POTUS.  I say we start a recall of this dumb f*&^!!!!!!!!!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2021, 05:50:28 am »
I have been reading L'Amour books, enjoying them.  His writing gets better with each book.

This will make you laugh.  I am having western dreams.  Like I am Utah Blaine, etc  Vivid dreams.  I woke up one morning exhausted after being chased all night.

BTW, I tested positive for COVID.  I think this is the 2nd time I am having this.  I believe I had it in January, 2020.  Pretty debilitating.  I was so weak yesterday, it took all my energy to stand up out of a chair.  Talk about weak!!!

This is a bio weapon.  No mystery about it, and we have an administrator that is a pawn of China as POTUS.  I say we start a recall of this dumb f*&^!!!!!!!!!

@jafo2010

I couldn't agree more,and given his KNOWN past filled with corruption and selling America down the river to the highest bidder,have a trial to expose ALL his corruption,followed immediately by his execution

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2021, 01:24:44 am »
Ice-9.

Wasn’t that “Cat’s Cradle” by Vonnegut?
@Cyber Liberty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2021, 01:26:14 am »
I received a $30 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble this past winter.

I plan on going this week and using it. Yay!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2021, 01:36:30 pm »
Wasn’t that “Cat’s Cradle” by Vonnegut?
@Cyber Liberty

Yup!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2021, 09:56:33 pm »
I just finished "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip Dick, an alternate-future novel about if Japan and Germany had defeated the USA in World War II. Ultimately, I found it to be a letdown with no clearly-defined ending.

Just started another alternate-future novel entitled "Bring the Jubilee", which supposes the South won the War Between the States instead of the Union...

BassWrangler

« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2021, 11:01:24 pm »
I just finished "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip Dick, an alternate-future novel about if Japan and Germany had defeated the USA in World War II. Ultimately, I found it to be a letdown with no clearly-defined ending.

Just started another alternate-future novel entitled "Bring the Jubilee", which supposes the South won the War Between the States instead of the Union...

I haven't read the book, but I did watch the Amazon series, and found it similarly had no ending. But I think maybe they've added another season, so who knows. Started out really interesting, and then went downhill.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #238 on: March 23, 2021, 02:58:16 pm »
Last week I read and finished Neptune's Inferno, which is about the naval fighting during the Guadalcanal campaign. The author didn't "go there", but the USN's unpreparedness and crappy destroyer torpedoes (they ran deep, the magnetic exploder was utterly unreliable, and the contact exploder was approximately as bad ... what's not to love! :sarc: While the Mark XIV submarine torpedo is most infamous, the destroyer and air-launched Marks shared the same defects) were both largely the consequence of FDR's gutting defense to fund his social programs. The author accessed a lot of contemporaneous sources - action reports, crewman interviews/accounts, etc..

One interesting point about the battle of November 13th (US cruisers vs. Hiei and Kirishima) is whether Adm. Callaghan viewed the impending battle (he knew what he would be facing) as so suicidal that plowing into the IJN formation might have been intentional, since USN 8" guns could penetrate Hiei's and Kirishima's battle cruiser grade armor at close ranges. The view of his actions I'd heard before was that he cluelessly blundered into the IJN formation and the consequent melee was totally unintentional. The mental image of USN DDs firing into Hiei's superstructure while so close that Hiei's secondaries could not depress low enough still amazes me.

Next up, hopefully arriving from Amazon in the next day or two, will be Chinese Girl in the Ghetto. The author, Ying Ma, moved from Guangzhou to Oakland when she was 10YO. I'm sure it'll cover much more, but it goes into the anti-Asian racism that has long been common among some blacks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:19:43 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2021, 11:32:17 pm »
I am going to look for the Oera Linda Book.

I believe our true history has been subverted, changed.

They say this book is fantasy. I doubt that.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline thackney

« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2021, 06:13:43 pm »
I am going to look for the Oera Linda Book.

I believe our true history has been subverted, changed.

They say this book is fantasy. I doubt that.

https://www.amazon.com/Oera-Linda-Book-Manuscript-Thirteenth/dp/1104318024

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/40986/40986-h/40986-h.htm
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2021, 02:07:14 am »
Just finished book 11 of L'Amour.  To Tame a Land, and I could not put it down.  Read it in one sitting.

It has been a long time since I read a book I could not put down, like 15 years.  It was called Forward to Camelot, by Susan Sloate.  A time travel story tied to JFK's assassination.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2021, 02:25:43 am »
Just finished book 11 of L'Amour.  To Tame a Land, and I could not put it down.  Read it in one sitting.

It has been a long time since I read a book I could not put down, like 15 years.  It was called Forward to Camelot, by Susan Sloate.  A time travel story tied to JFK's assassination.

@jafo2010

I have never heard of anyone who read a Louis L'Amour book that didn't like it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2021, 02:29:30 am »

LOL! Glad you like em. To me, that is their shining glory... A nice little 150 pages you can sit down and get lost in for a few hours. Exciting, but expected. Same old story, but always a twist or two to put you on edge and make you commit.   :beer:

Offline verga

« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2021, 03:46:20 pm »
@jafo2010

I have never heard of anyone who read a Louis L'Amour book that didn't like it.
Frankly I am afraid to try his stuff. I have 2 more Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" books to finish, 12 of his "Isaac Bell", and 11 or 12 of the "Oregon Files" to catch up on. Right now that is about 6 months of solid reading ahead of me. 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2021, 05:32:18 pm »
Frankly I am afraid to try his stuff. I have 2 more Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" books to finish, 12 of his "Isaac Bell", and 11 or 12 of the "Oregon Files" to catch up on. Right now that is about 6 months of solid reading ahead of me.

@verga

I have good news for you!

Most of his books can be read in one day,so they could serve as a nice break from the long reads of a Cussler novel. Something entirely different to give you a little break.

Just don't blame me if you end up ordering 20 or more of his other books so you can "catch up". Cussler will still be there when you are done with L'Amour.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:33:21 pm by sneakypete »

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2021, 07:38:18 pm »
I agree with sneakypete.  One of the nice things of L'Amour is that his books are short, and you can crank them out quickly.  Many of them are less than 100 pages, so depending on how fast you read, they can be easily read in a 2-4 hours.

I have about 70 of them, still shopping for the rest. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »
Just started reading "A Gilded Lady" by Elizabeth Camden.  It's historical fiction that takes place during the McKinley administration.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2021, 10:38:35 pm »
jafo wrote:
"I have about 70 of them, still shopping for the rest."

Have you tried perusing this list:
www.limetorrents.info/Louis-L%20Amour-collection-EPUB-torrent-13028842.html